What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 wants to kill of a sydney club

Stallion

First Grade
I don't think the TV executives have rugby league's genuine growth in their thinking. It's up to the rugby league to genuinely grow without self destructing established strengths. It's a no brainer more clubs bring more interest and juniors to the code. Their are people whom don't want to see this happen so they promote people ill equipped to administer the code to.make reckless assumptions/statements about lack of player talent etc. My word the same guys would have resented such negativity had they been aspiring footballers nowadays!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fans can help their clubs by turning up to support their teams. I drive from sadelaide to Melbourne to watch my team about 5 times a year( work permitting) and I have been a member since 99.

The same fans who will be up in arms at this story are the ones who can’t be arsed to go to games because there’s a bit of rain, or the ko time doesn’t suit them or the team aren’t playing well. But they’ll be ringing in to the radio station or marching to get their club reinstated if they got kicked out, just dont ask them to go and support the club on a regular basis!

Mr Spock!

Referee
Because the TV deal on its own isn't enough to lift every club, and how else are clubs going to make money? Nobody turns up to the games anymore. What should happen is the NRL need to stand the f**k up for themselves a little more and take back control of their competition and its booking.
We've been through this 20 years ago.

It's the clubs which make up the NRL.

Do nfl teams like the 69ers rely on leagues clubs?

Mr Spock!

Referee
The same fans who will be up in arms at this story are the ones who can’t be arsed to go to games because there’s a bit of rain, or the ko time doesn’t suit them or the team aren’t playing well. But they’ll be ringing in to the radio station or marching to get their club reinstated if they got kicked out, just dont ask them to go and support the club on a regular basis!
Because not all fans are local, dumbarse.

Generalzod

Immortal
Have you ever thought that there a many families that love the game but are unable to afford going???It's become to expensive to go to the footy..

TheFrog

Coach
Why in the 21st century with billion dollar TV deals should clubs be relying on leagues clubs?
In the case of clubs who buy whatever players they need, this is indeed so. But some clubs develop players, and this costs quite a lot of money with no return, except you might get first dibs at the next Brad Fittler at a bargain price initially, or more likely a steady supply of quality first graders also at initially bargain prices). It is for this reason that it has taken a special brand of incompetence for the Panthers to miss the finals this year, but I digress. The charter of licensed Rugby League (Leagues) clubs is to further the sport of Rugby League, and this is where much of the largesse is directed, in Panthers case at least.

Last edited:

Mr Spock!

Referee
In the case of clubs who buy whatever players they need, this is indeed so. But some clubs develop players, and this costs quite a lot of money with no return, except you might get first dibs at the next Brad Fittler at a bargain price initially. It is for this reason that it has taken a special brand of incompetence for the Panthers to miss the finals this year, but I digress. The charter of licensed Rugby League (Leagues) clubs is to further the sport of Rugby League, and this is where much of the largesse is directed, in Panthers case at least.
So leagues clubs exist to develop the junior base not to provide financing then.

It's a bit like people moaning about crowd numbers when most people watch it on TV.

STORM.99/07

Bench
Have you ever thought that there a many families that love the game but are unable to afford going???It's become to expensive to go to the footy..
I think all kids should be admitted free. Adult tickets should be more affordable and this is something the NRL should be addressing instead of making an obscene profit

Perth Red

Post Whore
So leagues clubs exist to develop the junior base not to provide financing then.

It's a bit like people moaning about crowd numbers when most people watch it on TV.

Some leagues clubs spend 4-5 times more propping up the nrl club than they do on jnr RL. As someone else said all is not equal in the nrl.

TheFrog

Coach
Certainly a large part of it, but I can't speak for all clubs. If Leagues clubs have to chip in to support the cost of the first grade operation it points to a poor business model, where the revenue is not fully directed at the place that actually puts on the show. Without a strong Leagues club, teams go under while at headquarters they sip champagne.

Latest posts