What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel Nine Does it Again

Loudstrat

Coach
Who cares? Serves 'em right for living in a dump!

It seems from the reactions here that this is the only issue in League, and that Gallop is the only person who can apply pressure. As far as I see it, the Melbourne Storm have made absolutely no noise about this, and they are the ones who stand to gain from any League promotion in their city.

Put itthis way. I am yet to meet anyone who has ever been converted to AFL simply because C10 play games up here in prime time. Here, it is still looked on as a sport for social outcasts and the mentally unhinged. It lies somewhere between nude cactus wrestling and haemorrhoid scratching in popularity.

Hoggy

Bench
Who cares? Serves 'em right for living in a dump!

It seems from the reactions here that this is the only issue in League, and that Gallop is the only person who can apply pressure. As far as I see it, the Melbourne Storm have made absolutely no noise about this, and they are the ones who stand to gain from any League promotion in their city.

Put itthis way. I am yet to meet anyone who has ever been converted to AFL simply because C10 play games up here in prime time. Here, it is still looked on as a sport for social outcasts and the mentally unhinged. It lies somewhere between nude cactus wrestling and haemorrhoid scratching in popularity.

I'm aware that you're trolling, but the fact remains if I drive literally 2 hours, I can be watching live AFL and NRL on free to air in towns such as Wangaratta.

The fact that approx 10 million people get live free to air rugby league on Friday nights is brilliant. The fact that approx more people don't get to watch it live, purely because they live in a different place, is stupid. Especially in this day and age.

I can turn my computer on and watch every NHL game live and in HD whenever I want. Gallop won't allow that. Why wouldn't I be upset at that?

Additionally, you do realise that it is not just Melbourne people that are missing out you do realise don't you?

Brutus

Referee
I'm aware that you're trolling, but the fact remains if I drive literally 2 hours, I can be watching live AFL and NRL on free to air in towns such as Wangaratta.

The fact that approx 10 million people get live free to air rugby league on Friday nights is brilliant. The fact that approx more people don't get to watch it live, purely because they live in a different place, is stupid. Especially in this day and age.

I can turn my computer on and watch every NHL game live and in HD whenever I want. Gallop won't allow that. Why wouldn't I be upset at that?

Additionally, you do realise that it is not just Melbourne people that are missing out you do realise don't you?

Don't worry about him. He's just a Sydney-centric trashbag.

He'd have games played at Pratten Park in his perfect world...and an all-suburban Sydney comp.

Lambretta

First Grade
Yeh, like this will be a ratings winner for Channel 9 Melbourne on Friday night>>>

8.30pm
The Lake House
(2006) Drama. Sandra Bullock, Keanu Reeves. (PG)
10.30pm
Chances Are
(1989) Romance. Cybill Shepherd, Ryan O'Neill. (PG)

If TV stations are all about ratings, the surely NRL would be better than these sh*t movies!?!?!!

Von, sorry, but the Rugby League featuring non Victorian teams would not out rate the Lake House in Melbourne. It would be on a par with the Cybill Shepherd one though given the same time slot of 10.30pm

Channel 9 do this because Channel 9 in Melbourne is run by the AFL, or people deeply involved in AFL and they don't want competition. Even if that competition is never going to challenge their own code. They want to bury NRL not assist it. Unless forced they wont change their attitude.

The NRL has to tell Channel 9 that if they wont show it in earlier slots that they will lose it come the next negotiation. Channel 9 in NSW and QLD have the right to bid for the rights, but the NRL will split it for broadcasting in non League states by 7 or 10. See how Nine react to that.

In NSW the AFL is shown on free to air tv starting sometime after 11pm when the 2nd game of league is coming to a close or has ended.

In Victoria the same should happen with the league. The AFL has Friday Night Football that ends at around 11.30pm - that's when the NRL should be showing with some level of cross over given consideration in case the AFL game is a complete blow out and viewers are switching off. Starting at 11pm and going to 12.30 for the first game for example.

Commercial TV cant show league in Victoria against the AFL and hope to rate, but it can be shown earlier than it currently is.

Lambretta

First Grade
Diablo

An NRL spokesman confirmed to mX that although there were provisions for the game to be aired after 12pm if shows ran late. Nine is obliged to schedule matches before midnight.

Channel Nine would argue that all their scheduling is done on a Tuesday morning during Freds tea break so they are ORGANISING the schedule before midnight

Plus the Friday night game is shown before midnight on Saturday, so they're complying.

f**k I hate Channel 9 sometimes.

seaeagle sam

The other thing which annoys me is Nine's choices of games they pick. I can't find a link but I always thought Nine gets to pick the best game of the week. But really, all that means is that they pick what they believe will be the highest rated game and call it the best game of the week.

Tweek

Juniors
Im just glad the dragons are on foxtel so far, get to watch all the games live, no ads in HD!.

f**k channel 9

KiamaSaint

Coach
Hopefully this changes when the laws come into affect, Channel ten are showing their new League show in every state. Let's hope they get the FTA rights next time around and do the same with the games.

Yep, spot-on.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I hate 9 as much as everyone else, but the NRL need to take most of the blame for not making them show the game.

We are treated like sh*t and the people running the game are the ones with no balls. Bring on the IC.

they can't force them .... its not part of the contract :?

in the next TV deal , they need to ensure in the contract that one of the broadcasters channels .... whoever gets the rights covers the NRL
it may be the main channel in NSW-ACT / QLD
& a digital channel in the Rest of the country .. no ifs .. no buts

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
they can't force them .... its not part of the contract :?

in the next TV deal , they need to ensure in the contract that one of the broadcasters channels .... whoever gets the rights covers the NRL
it may be the main channel in NSW-ACT / QLD
& a digital channel in the Rest of the country .. no ifs .. no buts

Dead right.

The NRL should take the blame for not doing this in the first place.

AuDragon

Juniors
Dead right.

The NRL should take the blame for not doing this in the first place.
Maybe so, but this will also reduce the money on the table for the TV deal, as it will be seen as restricting the broadcaster's options.
Whether the NRL is happy to take the best offer under those circumstances, or they want the highest amount of money possible is very much the question...

Zigwaa

Bench
As I said in another thread, I've sent a letter to Channel 9 telling them how pathetic their coverage of rugby league is in South Australia and CC'd it to David Gallop. See what response I get.

Neatoboy

Juniors
As I said in another thread, I've sent a letter to Channel 9 telling them how pathetic their coverage of rugby league is in South Australia and CC'd it to David Gallop. See what response I get.
Unfortunately I doubt you'll get any response. I don't think anything will be done until the IC has been established.

_snafu_

Immortal
David Gallop is attending "Negotiation with TV stations 101" classes.

c890e416c04205475208957047ee1650_resized.jpg