What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel Nine Olympic Coverage

lockyno1

Post Whore
I thought so, but they have so insistent upon it being on "tonight", I was starting to think
they weren't bullshi@#tting me.

It is "tonight" London time. All finals are in the evening in the host city, that happens to be 4:30am Sydney time

some11

Referee
I know it was to be expected but I still can't get over how much of a catastrophic f**k up this coverage is. I have watched it all online despite the hassles that brings, I won't justify their shit coverage by watching it for a second.

What did you expect?

You can't cover the Olympics on one channel, it just doesn't work.

IanG

Coach
I bet those who administor their facebook page have probably been working overtime deleting all the pannings that people have been posting

juro

Bench
Who was the commentator in the womens' basketball thinking Australia had won with the shot from over halfway?

Shorty

Staff member
What did you expect?

You can't cover the Olympics on one channel, it just doesn't work.
7 and SBS were so much better.
Not everyone pays for foxtel and watching the Olympics on paytv is simply ridiculous.
It should mostly be on FTA.

some11

Referee
Another technical stuff up by 9 there?

Live water polo cut to black screen, then a 9 logo, then a bunch of ads

They put on a replay of the interview with Magnussen with no audio but you could hear someone saying "You cant hear it"

Amateurs :lol:

Last edited:

lockyno1

Post Whore
Glad I have Fox...but just a quick question have they played every second of the stupid horse event? If so, I am so glad I have missed it!

Karl

Juniors
Nine is currently playing a replay of last nights NRL game on 9 a replay of a replay of The Voice USA on 99 and old replays of The Avengers and F Troop and Green f**king Acres followed by Splendour in the Grass ((1961) on Gem.

What a useless bunch of f**king merkins.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Nine is currently playing a replay of last nights NRL game on 9 a replay of a replay of The Voice USA on 99 and old replays of The Avengers and F Troop and Green f**king Acres followed by Splendour in the Grass ((1961) on Gem.

What a useless bunch of f**king merkins.

You do realise the Games do not go 24/7 right...there is nothing on right now!

argy-bargy

Juniors
Last night was probably the most shameful sporting broadcast i have ever seen.

Pendleton Vs Meares in the womens keirin second heat. The first direct face off between these two chapion athletes at the games. Phil liggett (who is an amazing commentator BTW) was hyping the contest very well. Super pumped for the race. The riders were positioning at the start line, and then what happens? We f**king cut back to the studio where the male model from f**king mudgee tells us that we "have" to go to a commercial break, and then upon return we will be having a special guest interview. WHAT THE f**k!!!! the live race was literrally starting and they just skipped it for a 5 minute comercial break. Upon return we were treated to a delightful interview from Airheaded Lela Mckinnon asking the most poxy arsed set of questions to these two stuffy toffs (Mckinnon's feigned laughter was the highlight), which was probably the most rehearsed and boring plug for the royal family i have ever seen. Then finally, after another 5 minute commercial break we return to the cycling velodrome to watch the race on delay (15 minutes after the race had been finished).

The contempt that channel 9 is showing to their viewers and sports fans in Australia has been shocking. I used to think that channel 7 were bad at olympic coverage, but channel 9 has sunk to new levels i previously could not even have imagined. If they have the next olympics, i am definatley going to buy foxtel.

Mr Saab

Referee
Leila had to be given priority over a live gold medal race....i mean she is David Gyngells wife.

drago brelli

Bench
The only way 9 could win any credit is by resurrecting The Dream. Channel 7 richly deserved to lose the Olympics for ditching Roy and HG in favour of Sonya Kruger and Tom Williams in Beijing.
So well said, Jason. All my friends want Roy and HG Nelson back on the Olympics. Roy and HG made the Olympics worth watching. Roy and HG taught these young athletes not to take themselves too seriously. Don't our swimmers need some light relief now!

Karl

Juniors
You do realise the Games do not go 24/7 right...there is nothing on right now!

So show some of the enormous amount of shit you HAVEN'T shown from the previous day. They are happy to show replays as far back as the bloody sixties so what's wrong with a few bloody hours when you haven't aired it yet anyway?

They are f**king hopeless.

some11

Referee
Last night was probably the most shameful sporting broadcast i have ever seen.

Pendleton Vs Meares in the womens keirin second heat. The first direct face off between these two chapion athletes at the games. Phil liggett (who is an amazing commentator BTW) was hyping the contest very well. Super pumped for the race. The riders were positioning at the start line, and then what happens? We f**king cut back to the studio where the male model from f**king mudgee tells us that we "have" to go to a commercial break, and then upon return we will be having a special guest interview. WHAT THE f**k!!!! the live race was literrally starting and they just skipped it for a 5 minute comercial break. Upon return we were treated to a delightful interview from Airheaded Lela Mckinnon asking the most poxy arsed set of questions to these two stuffy toffs (Mckinnon's feigned laughter was the highlight), which was probably the most rehearsed and boring plug for the royal family i have ever seen. Then finally, after another 5 minute commercial break we return to the cycling velodrome to watch the race on delay (15 minutes after the race had been finished).

The contempt that channel 9 is showing to their viewers and sports fans in Australia has been shocking. I used to think that channel 7 were bad at olympic coverage, but channel 9 has sunk to new levels i previously could not even have imagined. If they have the next olympics, i am definatley going to buy foxtel.

I was astounded, I could not give one f**k about the royals.

undertaker

Coach
Leila had to be given priority over a live gold medal race....i mean she is David Gyngells wife.

Leila McKinnon reminds me of the year advisor I had during high school (who was a D&T/Home Economics teacher then in her mid-late 30s). She also had blonde hair, tried to act cool infront of the kids but had absolutely no idea about leadership. I will never know how she ever got that position. Behind the scenes, she was very pretentious in behaviour (dressed in very short, skimpy skirts. Maybe having massive mid-life crisis and trying to relive her youth in her teens/young adult years), and was a massive suck up to the powers above her (e.g. Principal). She was also very sexist against the guys and took every opportunity to excoriate them over very trivial matters. Needless to say, she was loathed by the majority of our grade and was labelled by one of the senior teachers as the worst year advisor in the history of the school.

Anyways, if Leila wasn't the wife of the CEO of Ch9, there's no way she would be where she is today, let alone have scored guest host positions on The Sunday Roast and Thursday night Footy Show this year. Her interview with Corey Worthington (aka Corey "The Party Boy") on ACA was some of the crappiest journalism I've ever seen. Funny to see her get owned by that dick.

undertaker

Coach
So well said, Jason. All my friends want Roy and HG Nelson back on the Olympics. Roy and HG made the Olympics worth watching. Roy and HG taught these young athletes not to take themselves too seriously. Don't our swimmers need some light relief now!

As much as I love Roy and HG, their "day in the sun" (with the Australian media and public) began with Club Buggery and ended with The Dream (Sydney Olympics). The following year they had a show called "The Monday Dump" (or something like that) and although I loved it, they got canned in the media for it and never reached the same dazzling heights like they did during 1995-2000. Also, PC had a vast effect on their style over time and I don't think it would be quite the same if they revived The Dream. Although PC was in its earlier stages in this country during the Sydney Olympics, it has definitely progressed a lot since then and sadly, I don't think Roy and HG could get away a lot of their old material if they were to duplicate it today (I made this point in the Movies/Music thread regarding Fast Forward/Full Frontal).

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach

Before the start of this Olympics, I predicted that Ch9 would botch up the Olympic coverage. All their relentless plugging of ads was not enough to persuade me to change my mind. But, it comes as no surprise to me. After all, even after having rugby league for 20 years, they still can't get the coverage right! So, how are they going to manage covering multiple sports?

I know Ch7 isn't St Peter and Bruce McAvaney isn't everyone's cup of tea, but at least Ch7 didn't treat their viewers with utter contempt when I watched their coverage in 1996/2000/2004/2008. I don't ever recall them jumping their coverage from one sport, to another sport, to another sport in a matter of less than a couple of minutes. This technique from Ch9 at London reminds me of a kid in school who has just simply done a cut-paste job on Microsoft Word for their school assignment. Anyone can do that but when you look at the assignment, you will immediately recognise it is a cheap, tacky cut-paste job.

Latest posts