What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield Jersey is Black!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Presumably this is for Charity, St George foundation does awesome community work. Where's the problem?

Hell this isn't even confirmed yet is it?

Saint Doc

Coach
Presumably this is for Charity, St George foundation does awesome community work. Where's the problem?

Look I actually don't mind the idea of the jersey and, if true, am looking forward to seeing it. I think as a one-off, why not?

However, I'm going to argue against you because there is nothing worse than the forum-pest coming into our forum and telling a saints fan how he should feel about our jersey.

So...in reply to your post...the dark green was a tiny part of a predominantly red and white jersey to pay homage to the green of our ANZAC troops. Exactly how does a predominantly black colour jersey represent the ideals of the St.George foundation, St.George Hospital or Wollongong Hospital? It doesn't. Yes, the game is for charity...but it is for charity even if we play in red, white or purple. So why the hell are you even commenting? Feel free to reply or, preferably, don't.

Cagey Mac

Bench
So some smartyparnts in marketing looks at the response to last year’s black supporters gear and says “black is what our supporters want to wear, let’s give them a black jersey, they’ll buy lots and we’ll make some money for the club”
It’s not such a stupid idea though it obviously offends some purists perhaps it’s time for a charitable thought.
Black is rock and roll after all!
They can wear whatever they like if there are no injuries

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Look I actually don't mind the idea of the jersey and, if true, am looking forward to seeing it. I think as a one-off, why not?

However, I'm going to argue against you because there is nothing worse than the forum-pest coming into our forum and telling a saints fan how he should feel about our jersey.

So...in reply to your post...the dark green was a tiny part of a predominantly red and white jersey to pay homage to the green of our ANZAC troops. Exactly how does a predominantly black colour jersey represent the ideals of the St.George foundation, St.George Hospital or Wollongong Hospital? It doesn't. Yes, the game is for charity...but it is for charity even if we play in red, white or purple. So why the hell are you even commenting? Feel free to reply or, preferably, don't.
I can change Saints fans' feelings on their jersey? Really? I call it having an opinion, each to their own.

I'm commenting for a number of reasons. Firstly, because I can. Secondly, because despite what some might have you think, Saints are my second team and I find it hard not to get passionate about them. I blame the mrs for that. And also, I'm a paying member of the Dragons, regardless of the fact that I support Canterbury. Lastly, I like discussion about jerseys, as evidenced by the thread in the NRL section where I go to great lengths to get info on new jerseys. Like you, I'm looking forward to seeing what the rumours translate into this weekend.

Willow

Assistant Moderator

FMD, you'd argue with a blank wall.

Read back - I said it would want to be for charity.

Why do you give a toss anyway?
I don't know. You seem to have made up your mind enough to tell others what they are thinking.

Saint Doc said:
Very true. But it'll go over his head.

Forum Pest said:
I'm commenting for a number of reasons. Firstly, because I can. Secondly, because despite what some might have you think, Saints are my second team and I find it hard not to get passionate about them. I blame the mrs for that. And also, I'm a paying member of the Dragons, regardless of the fact that I support Canterbury.
LOL! A troll in denial. You really have no idea.

Tim what have I told you about using your girlfriend as an authority? You know it always ends in tears.

Saint Doc

Coach
I wish you grew up in my house. I learnt from a very young age that you most definately do not have second teams.

For the record, I'm glad he didnt grow up in my house!

I can change Saints fans' feelings on their jersey? Really? I call it having an opinion, each to their own.

I'm commenting for a number of reasons. Firstly, because I can. Secondly, because despite what some might have you think, Saints are my second team and I find it hard not to get passionate about them. I blame the mrs for that. And also, I'm a paying member of the Dragons, regardless of the fact that I support Canterbury. Lastly, I like discussion about jerseys, as evidenced by the thread in the NRL section where I go to great lengths to get info on new jerseys. Like you, I'm looking forward to seeing what the rumours translate into this weekend.

Its the way you do it. You post like you own the place, which, at least in this sub-forum, you most certainly do not. By responding to Willow's post and bringing up the dark green, you are challenging his opinion that we are only red and white. When he replies that it was representing the ANZACS you fire back with some nonsense about the good work of the St.George foundation, its inflammatory. I know I'm wasting my breath here (well, fingers anyway...) but why can't you, if you feel the need to post at all, just post your thoughts without trying to enter an argument?

RedVDave

First Grade
Although it's only speculation at this point, I have to admit my strong disspointment of selling out our traditional colours.

Yes I am aware it is a one off and it is for charity but St. George wearing black just doesnt make any sense to me.

I know the Carlton Blues wore a yellow jersey last year for charity but couldnt the players have just worn yellow tape around their arms or something and vice verser with Saints.

Father Ted

First Grade
Saints are nobodies second team ya goose

God-King Dean

Immortal
My only problem is it might be taken for this on first glance.

article-0-082DE5E3000005DC-291_468x666.jpg

LazyDreamer

Bench
You have a second team then you're not a real League fan.

Okay, I'll bite. How does having a second team make someone less of a league fan? It could be argued that it makes them more of a league fan, rather than just a team fan.

And no, I don't have a second team per se. My wife & kids support the Raiders (no, I rang DoCS - somehow it doesn't meet their definition of 'child abuse'. No wonder this state's going down the toilet), and we lived in Canberra for quite a few years & saw quite a few Raiders games, so if the Raiders are playing, I go for them over whoever they're playing...UNLESS it's the Dragons, or unless it would affect the Dragons' position on the ladder. When the Raiders win, my 9yo in particular is happier than a pig in schidt, so that's why I like to see them win. Also, the times he's met any players, they've been completely awesome to him (Alan Tongue gets special mention here).

But of any team, I hate to see the Dragons lose to the Raiders most of all. Well, apart from seeing the Dragons lose to anybody.

Ditto, I don't mind seeing the Pennies win - my best mate's and his son's/my godson's team. And ditto, any time his son met the players, they were awesome to him.

With both those teams too, it's also the underdog factor coming to the fore. And who doesn't like to see the underdog get up?

And in any case, R&W, aren't there teams you hate more than others? I know if the Storm, the Sharks, the Roosters, the Eels or the Dogs play (even each other) I want 'em all to lose. Badly. To have teams you hate more than others could be seen to be liking some teams more than the ones you truly detest, thus making you "not a real league fan" maybe??? :?

And if Timmah's telling the truth about being a financial member of the Dragons, f**k, blows me away. Good on him for putting his money where his mouth is. :thumn

Oh, and finding it hard to picture a black jersey/red V that looks good, so will have to wait till the game to opine on that!

Last edited: