What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheaters never prosper

PaddyBoy

Juniors
Seriously people, if these blokes are like me, they sign the bloody thing and get the hell out of the office. I hate that stuff.

DJShaksta

First Grade
picture.php

"This denial is a little surprising".... not to anyone with half a brain.......

Item 450 summary - the player is either lying through his ass or is as dumb as two fence posts.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
I was going through and re-reading some of the books that were part of the curriculum during high school to see how I'd view them differently. One really came to mind re: Waldron.

I bet he wishes he'd been handed this in year 9!

16399140.jpg

Last edited:

Glen

Bench
Great thread. Either way all the report stuff would have been posted on here but it's great to do it in celebration of the Cheats crashing out of the finals rather than lamenting their premiership win

big_matt

Juniors
Why have Waldron or any of the player agents never been sanctioned? Nowhere in the posted text does it say a player definately knew they were breaking cap rules but plenty times it says Waldron or an agent were hiding information from the players or league. I'd really like to know why nothing has happened to Waldron and why the four main agents involved are still practicing today.

The people who were punished are the fans, the coach and the players.

The people who got off completely free were the ceo and agents that caused the whole affair.

Seems very strange, and I suspect there is something we are not getting told. The materials in the quoted report would be enough to suspend the player agents 18 months ago.

And yet it was his reccommendation not to take disciplinary action...WHY NOT???
A lot of the report contains the report author's personal view on what things meant - its been said before that as far as reports go (which should be impersonal & in the third person to show impartiality) it was full of self-opinions. But ho hum...none of that holds any water for people who want to belive one point of view only.
Getting back to why no disciplinary charges / fraud charges / tax , etc - the question is why not? Perhaps on further investigation by INDEPENDENT offices the report is seen for what it is & there actually was no charges to answer?
Just asking...
picture.php

I guess in his personal view that he thinks the punishment to the club of stripping premierships, minor premierships and all points for the 2010 season was enough for the players. Personally I don't agree with this and I'm certain that I'm not alone. He does not say anywhere in the report that he believes the players had no knowledge of their payments not being declared to the NRL.

Why have Waldron or any of the player agents never been sanctioned? Nowhere in the posted text does it say a player definately knew they were breaking cap rules but plenty times it says Waldron or an agent were hiding information from the players or league. I'd really like to know why nothing has happened to Waldron and why the four main agents involved are still practicing today.

The people who were punished are the fans, the coach and the players.

The people who got off completely free were the ceo and agents that caused the whole affair.

Seems very strange, and I suspect there is something we are not getting told. The materials in the quoted report would be enough to suspend the player agents 18 months ago.
The players at the very least broke salary cap rules. The coach must have been curious as to how he was able to keep such a great roster for so long. They don't get my sympathy. Most fans do.

Noa

First Grade
I find it hilarious people want to blame the coaches and players for this. But whatever floats your boat (pun intended), its not going to change anything.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
picture.php

I guess in his personal view that he thinks the punishment to the club of stripping premierships, minor premierships and all points for the 2010 season was enough for the players. Personally I don't agree with this and I'm certain that I'm not alone. He does not say anywhere in the report that he believes the players had no knowledge of their payments not being declared to the NRL.

You are right he does say that & like you I don't agree re players not being charged...but probably I think we believe different outcomes would occur. i think the scrutiny levelled at the players would highlight and implicate a whole lot more people other than the majority of the players (who imo were manipulated to a large degree) & hence we have no charges laid. NRL covering its incompetent backside along with the users News ltd, & the complicit rest. Out of all of them the ones that have escaped by the skin of their teeth (or the benevolence of NRL & News Ttd) is Waldron & player agents involved. being a pawn does not make you guilty. Stupid, dumb, but not necessarily guilty.

You are right he does say that & like you I don't agree re players not being charged...but probably I think we believe different outcomes would occur. i think the scrutiny levelled at the players would highlight and implicate a whole lot more people other than the majority of the players (who imo were manipulated to a large degree) & hence we have no charges laid. NRL covering its incompetent backside along with the users News ltd, & the complicit rest. Out of all of them the ones that have escaped by the skin of their teeth (or the benevolence of NRL & News Ttd) is Waldron & player agents involved. being a pawn does not make you guilty. Stupid, dumb, but not necessarily guilty.
I agree with most of that.

_Johnsy

Referee

You are being extremely, extremely naive.

The players have been under very little scrutiny if any. What governing investigative body has had them under scrutiny ?
I cannot think of one single one, not one body who is given investigative powers under legislation had an official complaint made to them, where would they have got any evidence whatsoever ? The Police had not received an official complaint from any body, the ATO can only investigate if tax has been paid on income. They may have received 3 x more than they were showing via contracts to the NRL, but if they paid the tax then the ATO has no statutory authority to prosecute. They paid the tax.

The players knew if they said sweet FA, they would escape scott free, that is exactly what has happened.

They did not co-operate with any part of the investigation. How can one of the players be manipulated? FFS cameron Smith manages himself, is he manipulating himself?

He makes a conscious decision to sign several contracts. If I was asked to sign more than one contract that was specifically centred around my renumeration for one employer, i'd certainly be asking some questions.

IMO you need to take the purple glasses off mate.

Spot On

Coach
After reading that report I think it's fair to say that those at the very top, esp Waldron, have seemingly lost only the position they held at the club and have had their reputations damaged. Meh, what else did they expect?

Player managers were not painted in a very good light. Meh, threads discussing these blokes and their behaviour have been posted on this site before. There's always going to be cowboys acting in an unregulated fashion when there's seemingy no rules they have to follow. What else did anyone expect? I still find it hard to believe that players give these blokes a ridiculous percentage of their money.

As for the players, I think it's very easy to form an opinion about what they probably knew about their own contracts. Not sure if they would have known the extent of the breaching of the cap.

For mine, one of the most worrying paragraphs highlighted emails in which Waldron chastised a Storm employee for making the Salary Cap Auditor aware of certain minor breaches. Waldron was livid telling the employee that he (cap auditor) had never picked up on them before so why would you make him aware now. I may be naive in these areas but could it be that the NRL and it's auditing systems are just not policing the cap well enough??? Shock horror!

Last edited:

Glen

Bench
Does Cameron Smith seriously manage himself? Hahahaha yea I'm sure he had no idea about the rorts

Latest posts