What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Houston cleared of drug charges

meltiger

First Grade
BY KEVIN CRANSON
If one of the club's bigger sponsors was to decide that they didn't want to be associated with the Knights "brand" any more, the consequences would be devastating and possibly terminal.

Whilst it obviously wouldn't be an ideal scenario. Does anyone actually think the league would allow the Knights to fold?

Far too important to the comp imo to be able to see the NRL not propping them up where neccesary.

Noa

First Grade
Considering Houston was flat mates with Wicks , the chances of him not getting dragged into the drama were slim....The chance of him not being aware of the wicks drug dealing were remote , so being an accessory was always most likely. The fact that they have now busted Houston for 4 counts of dealing , would IMO suggest that there may be some very very nervous individuals who may have been customers of the pair. The nature of footy teams and players , would suggest that the dealing was known amongst the knights players. I expect some more names to come out considering the supposed hours of taped telephone calls the coppers have. Should this happen , what chance a " greg bird" like scenario where the any player implicated will suggest any drug puchase was " for a mate" and try and pass the blame onto their not so famous mates ??

The dogs have recovered from Coffs , and are now " the family club" in a short space of time...Newcastle have the opportunity to declare war on any person in their organisation , and im sure will become the " cleanest" club with measures they will have to take , and whatever they decide to do , it will have the backing of the knights fans in order to clean the joint out , regardless of which players , or however many players are involved.

I believe thats more well known as the Matty Stokes defence.

BTW buying for a friend IS trafficing, better off saying it was for a rainy day.

sharko

Juniors
The Newcastle management have most definitely turned a blind eye to illicit drug use in their team over a period exceeding a decade at least..they took the view that certain players are bigger than the code and are not bound by proper restraint..A Johns was a case in point.
Newcastle have continued to be a poorly run club that appears to want avoid any scrutiny and any professionalism.
They have helped to damage the image of league and this is detrimental to every club in the NRL.
The Newcastle sponors, or those that are left will be appalled at this mismanagement and this will cost the club a lot of money, money it can ill afford to lose.
I think a well run Central Coast Bears team will fill a void left by an incompotent Knights admin, the Bears will have crowds, juniors and money and will not be tainted with rhe drug running culture that seems to be attached to the Knights.

nqcowboy87

Bench
what they need is a complete clean out ala bulldogs new board new ceo and maybe some private team consultants or mediators, what they do always seems to be half assed, people are going to say that they should kick the knights out because of these issues they seem to have, but the truth is the competition needs the knights they always have, newcastle is quite possibly one of the strongest rugby league areas in all of australia so to kick them out would not be a smart thing. the knights would have to get their act together of course. and about the les mason thing, he always seemed on tv when they showed him to be a complete drongo bogan and even stupider than willie which is pretty stupid, no offense les

nqcowboy87

Bench
seriously can we have an end to the people calling each other cum catchers and knob gobblers, is that all the insults you can come up with, gay jokes, im not gay but im just saying it doesnt say alot about your creativity.

i feel sorry for the knights, i remember when mitchell sargent got busted it threw a scare through the cowboys camp, not that anyone was dealing but that some others might be using, and before any of you smart asses say "oh, and what club did he go to", yeh we all know.

im not sure if newcastle the town itself has a drug culture it wouldnt seem to be its more of a working class town than anything, although having rown up in rural queensland, ive heard that places like rocky and tablelands area west of cairns has a pretty seedy drug culture that goes by widely unoticed

Dragon

Coach
Doesnt matter, they will still be media darlings. If it were any other club it would be a 10 week epic saga of shock horror. But since its Newy it will blow over in a couple of days

Quigs

Immortal
I'm just glad for the Knights sake that none of them had consensual group sex in an overseas motel room 8 years ago.

I wish the game was squeaky clean, as I wish a lot of things are squeaky clean, but alas it will never eventuate. Human nature being the way it is.

My opinion, and from the dinosaur era, modern day young footballers have too much money, and too much free time on their hands. They need to supplement the free time with a suitable employment or getting an education for life after league.

Sheeze I know what I would of been like at 25 with all that money and fame and living under the same roof with a bunch of fellow footballers. Never been into drugs, hate em, but I know I would be fulltime chasing skirt, looking for fun, a cold drink and be in anything but a bath.

I can imagine the temptations that must front these blokes... (not selling and supplying drugs)

And for the young blokes chasing skirt and looking for a good time in their free time good luck to them. When you marry and start breeding then all this should / might / probably will settle down.

To the blokes that want to do the wrong thing i.e taking banned substances and pushing, then they can go and f**k themselves.

Hope the Knights get over this crap.

Cheers
Quigs

sting

Bench
if only he had molested a woman instead, he could have played on..... :|

this is true though..

am i the only person on here that thinks selling a few pingas is nowhere near as bad as rape, belting your girlfriend or glassing her???

Joker's Wild

Coach
Doesnt matter, they will still be media darlings. If it were any other club it would be a 10 week epic saga of shock horror. But since its Newy it will blow over in a couple of days

Coming from a Dragons fan that is 1000 shades of irony

Last edited:

Red Bear

Referee
Whilst it obviously wouldn't be an ideal scenario. Does anyone actually think the league would allow the Knights to fold?

Far too important to the comp imo to be able to see the NRL not propping them up where neccesary.
No, they wouldnt let them die.

The merkins (NRL, not the Knights).

macavity

Referee
The Newcastle management have most definitely turned a blind eye to illicit drug use in their team over a period exceeding a decade at least..they took the view that certain players are bigger than the code and are not bound by proper restraint..A Johns was a case in point.
Newcastle have continued to be a poorly run club that appears to want avoid any scrutiny and any professionalism.
They have helped to damage the image of league and this is detrimental to every club in the NRL.
The Newcastle sponors, or those that are left will be appalled at this mismanagement and this will cost the club a lot of money, money it can ill afford to lose.
I think a well run Central Coast Bears team will fill a void left by an incompotent Knights admin, the Bears will have crowds, juniors and money and will not be tainted with rhe drug running culture that seems to be attached to the Knights.

can we use the same argument to boot the sharks, dogs, manly, broncos, hell, half the clubs in the NRL?

bad troll.

Ulysseus

Bench
I was talking drug dealing. You are listing a bunch of drug users. What are you doing on a forum - you can't even f***ing read.

As I was talking about there consumption and use, I didn't split who was dealing and using in my post that you decided to level at.
What are you doing here - you can't even f**king read into something.

skeepe

Immortal
This doesn't really surprise me.

You'd have to be on something to live in that abortion of a town.

Alex28

Coach

The criticism of how the Knights is run coming from a Sharks fan is f***ing rich.

Again...we are not talking about drug use. That is in the clubs past. We are talking about drug dealing and supply. Never been an issue in the past.

And the Central Coast Bears will compliment the Knights just fine when the Sharks lose their licence and is moved up there.

Latest posts