What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach Bennett

bornadragon

Juniors
No... In the bigger picture - it's another band-aid solution from our friends that brought you "Doust".

aushellzy

Juniors
Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23432341-23214,00.html

Dragons have eyes on Bennett

By Phil RothfieldMarch 26, 2008 ST George Illawarra have targeted supercoach Wayne Bennett as the man to end an exasperating premiership drought of almost 30 years.
Bennett is at the top of the Dragons' hit-list and talks have already taken place between club chief executive Peter Doust and the six-time premiership-winning coach.

Not even a grand final appearance will save current coach Nathan Brown, simply because the St George Illawarra management cannot wait that long to make a decision, knowing Bennett will be snapped up elsewhere.

The Dragons originally wanted to give Brown six weeks before making a call, but the situation has become urgent because of other clubs' interest in Bennett.

Other clubs expressing interest include the Bulldogs and, more recently, Penrith, whose coach, Matthew Elliott, is suddenly under pressure after a terrible start to the season.

"When I make a move for next year, I want to make sure it's the right move," Bennett said.
"St George is a great club and a great rugby league brand.

"I know Peter Doust well ... we both sit on the board of the ARL Foundation ... but I'm not going to confirm or deny whether we've spoken about coaching."

Brown meanwhile said: "There's speculation all the time and you guys have got a job to do. My only concern is coaching the side each week."

Asked if he would stand down before being shoved, Brown said. "No way, that's not my go."

Doust refused to budge from his "no comment" stance, apart from confirming that the head coaching position was still under review at board level.

The Dragons chief executive has been a close friend of Brown's for many years, and he has supported the embattled coach despite disappointing results in recent seasons.

But he has told those people closest to him that the friendship would never get in his way of making the right recommendation to the board - even if it means the axe falling on one of his very best friends.
St George Illawarra are under financial pressure after the St George Leagues Club lost $1.6 million last year, but executives still believe they can come up with enough money to attract Bennett to the joint-venture club.

Bennett brings a lot more than just his coaching skills to a football club, and he is seen as a club figurehead who will attract huge corporate support at a time when the club needs every penny it can get.

Brown's name has come up in recent days as a contender for Graham Murray's job at North Queensland, with the support of board member and former Dragons teammate Gorden Tallis.

Ribs

Bench
Im so sick of the media at the moment, even moreso than I normally am.

We finally put together a decent disciplined win after weeks of Brown being under pressure to do just that and what happens?

The story says it now wont matter if we win the GF, Brown is gone anyway.

Is there a part of the media that just wants to see us fail, or Brown fail? This sh*t has got to have an impact on the teams moral and they know it.

Stick it to em' Brownie.

stg666

Juniors
just a thought . browny to stay on as an assistant coach to happy joe happy with the intention to take over when bennett retires. should have learnt a lot more by then and be a lot better coach.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I recon Bennett is perfect for you guys. He'd also make sure that some of the "fairy" performances by some of your players do not happen. If someone doesn't perform, he'll be dropped. I feel most of the time (outsider's view I know) that Brown is just TOO NICE! However I would not be surprised if they retain Brown as a assistant coach to Bennett next season.

big pat

Coach
how are you locky, a bit quiet in the cricket forum for a while, your right on one thing brown is a bit of a soft touch, he needs to distance himself and make tough choices, like dropping woolford and ryles, he needs to keep it going, the raiders game will be a good test he needs to fire them up, and believe that they can win in canberra.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I am pretty good pat (cricket season is over so there aint much to talk about there). But yes, Brown just seems to be soft. Honestly dropping Ryles to the bench last week was a very soft option. If that was Bennett he'd be compltely dropped. And then he must EARN his recall. Brown is too much like a "friend" than a coach and the reality is a coach is judged on wins and losses. I never understood signing Woolford by the way- not playing George Ndaira could buite Brown on the bum easily as he is a very hight quality no9 that was let go to accomodate Woolford!

Cagey Mac

Bench
Bennett is a fabulous coach a decent human being and would be an assett to the club
If Brown is too nice that's too bad, I think that he lacks vision but that's just my opinion
Doust is underrated, those who bag him should look at their own successes in life
The job isn't easy!
He makes more good decisions than bad IMO

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I hope we get him. It will be the first marquee signing this club has made since Michael O'Connor.

The Preacher

First Grade
Cagey Mac said:
Bennett is a fabulous coach a decent human being and would be an assett to the club
If Brown is too nice that's too bad, I think that he lacks vision but that's just my opinion
Doust is underrated, those who bag him should look at their own successes in life
The job isn't easy!
He makes more good decisions than bad IMO

:lol: :lol: How many of these things are you allowed to use?? :lol: :lol:

That statement is part of a standup comedy routine, isn't it ?? It is, isn't it?? It must be!!!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Cagey Mac said:
Oh dear... with respect, I don't think Peter Doust will be hiring you as his speech writer.

Cagey, when looking down from that lofty position, I trust you'll find time to pity the lower classes who express their opinions and then dare to enjoy life's trimmings.

Bellamy is contracted to the Storm till end of '09, and if he's going to leave there, he'll most likely end up back at the Broncos.. Bennet (or maybe Daniel Anderson) are the only logical choices for coach for the Dragons. I just hope Doust and his board of merry men feel the same way..

(ps, hi - I'm new! :cool: )