What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

twinkletoes

Juniors
Mentioned on Twitter that Webb will present to the board Ryles coach, Richo GM & Brownie recruitment.
Apparently reported by Hooper.
Make of it what you will but I would hope the board would sign off on it.
If this is the preferred scenario I hope that Webb has had discussions with these guys and that they've indicated in principal they would be on board....not lets present this preferred scenario for Board signoff and then we'll go and see if we can get them...that would be laughable

justadragon

Bench
If this is the preferred scenario I hope that Webb has had discussions with these guys and that they've indicated in principal they would be on board....not lets present this preferred scenario for Board signoff and then we'll go and see if we can get them...that would be laughable
Do you know of anything ATM with the Dragons that isn't laughable, FFS they couldn't even organise a piss up. Of course they will do your second option, its the Dragons Board :))

I think Webb could have been sacked just after he got back from boning Mary.

Very cheery and happy with himself, easier than he thought… sits down at his desk…only to find a note.

Richo won’t tolerate the soft and timid Webby. Half the front office won’t survive his first week.

Last edited:

SGMax

Juniors
Maybe a 5 year deal with conditions that we are regular top 8 or top 4 contenders before the last 2 years are triggered.
Hopefully the coach will also be supported with good recruitment and club management.
No more gambling with bargain buys that may or may not perform.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Hopefully the coach will also be supported with good recruitment and club management.

Don't mind the five years for a new first grade coach with the above.

I thought it would take Saint Wayne 12 months to get the team in a competitive unit.

Also, if it helps get it done, the better. It's all speculation at the moment however, the club is making major changes to turn around the club which in the past has been like pulling teeth.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Don't mind the five years for a new first grade coach with the above.

I thought it would take Saint Wayne 12 months to get the team in a competitive unit.

Also, if it helps get it done, the better. It's all speculation at the moment however, the club is making major changes to turn around the club which in the past has been like pulling teeth.
Weren’t they Minor Premiers in his first year…?

Gardenia

Juniors
Mentioned on Twitter that Webb will present to the board Ryles coach, Richo GM & Brownie recruitment.
Apparently reported by Hooper.
Make of it what you will but I would hope the board would sign off on it.
I agree. Ive got a feeling that Bellamy is making a call quick next week re coaching in 2024 because we are chasing Ryles. I heard he will stay with the storm in some capacity going forward. He may give up the coaching gig so as to lock up Ryles. I dont think Ryles will come to us - I hope I am wrong. it would have been better had the discussion with Ryles was kept under wraps

citizen

Juniors
The meeting with Ryles and the dragons might have been leaked to get a decision quicker out of Melbourne.

I don't mind the appointment of a rookie coach if he has the right structures around him ie: recruitment head and football GM.

I do have reservations that we are the fall back plan for Ryles. I want a coach who wants to coach us as their first choice.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I agree. Ive got a feeling that Bellamy is making a call quick next week re coaching in 2024 because we are chasing Ryles. I heard he will stay with the storm in some capacity going forward. He may give up the coaching gig so as to lock up Ryles. I dont think Ryles will come to us - I hope I am wrong. it would have been better had the discussion with Ryles was kept under wraps
Don’t underestimate where Mrs Ryles & the family would like to call home. The fact they have moved back to the Wollongong area may have a huge bearing.
Happy Wife Happy Life!

Dragon David

First Grade
Yep too true CD , if she didn't like Sydney she would hate Melbourne.
I wonder if his wife and kids moved to Melbourne when he was the assistant coach down there from 2015-2020?

The beach thing down the coast would be my preference, but I'm not Ryles and as CD has mentioned the family has recently moved back to the Wollongong area which has to be the sign that he intends to coach the Dragons. The Storm though is a strong club managed well and has those influential knobs with big dollars available.

We were pretty close in getting Bennett back for 2025 only to have Rupert's son change his mind and went to the Broncos instead. So, until it is official, we can just continue on with rumours.

That would be a fantastic way forward if Saints get Ryles, Browny and Richo. The quicker the better. Maybe get Browny in there asap as interim until Ryles can start in 2024. Anyone but Hook. Leave Hook in Qld. They can send his stuff to him. Save on his return fare. Browny will slap Bird with his brain snaps not reward him that is for sure.

There is a crap article that Roosters will want some payment from Saints if Ryles is to join. What a load of rubbish that is. Surely in his contract like all other assistants, there is a clause that if he gets offered a HC role he can terminate his contract. They would not hold him back as Saints can in the end being the tight ar$es they are decide not to go Ryles because the Chooks want cash.

Also read somewhere Bellamy endorsing Ryles saying he will be a great future NRL coach. Sounds like his decision Bellamy's decision is made up and he will stay on in Melbourne. He will want to leave on a high and I cannot see the Storm winning this season. He does not seem the type of guy that will leave teams in a rebuilding phase. They also report that the Storm are keen on Brett White (another previous assistant) to take over Bellamy who is currently in Canberra but I feel they are still wanting Slater as 1st option.
At the very least Ryles could start at prop with Brownie slotting in at hooker

Como Connection

First Grade
I wonder if his wife and kids moved to Melbourne when he was the assistant coach down there from 2015-2020?

The beach thing down the coast would be my preference, but I'm not Ryles and as CD has mentioned the family has recently moved back to the Wollongong area which has to be the sign that he intends to coach the Dragons. The Storm though is a strong club managed well and has those influential knobs with big dollars available.

We were pretty close in getting Bennett back for 2025 only to have Rupert's son change his mind and went to the Broncos instead. So, until it is official, we can just continue on with rumours.
CC

TheRev

First Grade
This is the thing hey, we have 3000 posts assuming this and that.. but in reality the board may have a completely different point of view than us.. and it is possible its not 'all' locked in yet. I mean I think a new GM is a given.. but.. it may not be who we want.. and Haran is there on tuesday so its a bit harsh to announce it while hes there.

And if that timeline for Ryles is right (met on monday), we must have had Hornby or Hasler or whoever basically over the line already.. and even if they hadn't signed.. big call to dump that one and sign Ryles based on an evening chat...maybe we are way off the mark...

As for Ryles living in the gong.. I think thats a great incentive.. not sure if he has kids.. but he has waited a long time for his chance.. he would hate to be done and spat out in 2-3years.. never to be head coach again.. thats why I think the 5yrs is what hes after.. I mean we can still sack him after 3.. but we are pretty tight with our cash & the reality is I think we have 2yrs of rebuilding on our hands anyway.. so 5 probably isnt as long as it seems... and you have to ponder the alternative also.

BLM01

First Grade
Lets get this deal done ASAP, we cant let Hook continue to run this club into the ground, I dont know what is happening with the assistants but something needs to be done there as well.
Hook has not run the club into the ground. Its BOD and football department have
One thing I will say Hook has done well. Got rid of excess baggage who are no where to be seen.
That is not to say our recruitment has been good but in part it was Ok.

Latest posts