What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

blacksafake

First Grade
Because they have Gus, strong club with cash, BOD who will happily bend the cap, sponsor in laundy who invests in the club and players, strong lower grades. we have Haran and the rest....you know the drill
Mentioned elsewhere that Haran has been given a two year contract extension. In what position it wasn’t said.🤷🏼‍♂️

My first “rebuild the club effort” would be to try to connect with the members and give them more emotional skin in the game.

So people have to feel good joining. People usually feel better helping other people.

So I’m going to distribute 5% or something of members funds to proper ‘down and out’ charities. Food and clothes trucks.

That’s the poorest of the poor. Homeless etc. Age, gender, religion, disability…none of that matters to qualify.

So when the sgi boys run out, theyd represent the only nrl club who helps suffering people without any bullshit conditions. A genuine respect and care for the less fortunate. No category of beneficiaries. Heroes.

And I think everyone in the club could be bloody proud of that.

That’s my first idea anyway.

It evokes the old days, the Saints part of the jv had that shiny good guy image. I remember it as a kid. People could identify with it. The spritely jig in the step of running onto the felid. The little dash of pride. You could feel the belief, even as an opposing fan. It was a bit unnerving lol.

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench
Hook has not run the club into the ground. Its BOD and football department have
One thing I will say Hook has done well. Got rid of excess baggage who are no where to be seen.
That is not to say our recruitment has been good but in part it was Ok.
I can agree with some of your points but I cant agree with you on Hook. Hook has continually made poor choices in team selection, extremely poor, has played favorites, has mucked about with the development of our juniors, has churned through assistant coaches, our attack and defence are as ordinary as they have ever been, the discipline is practically the worst it has ever been, communication in the football dept is virtually non existent, the morale in the team, club,members, supporters and fans is at an all time low, we are now favorites for the spoon on Hook's watch. FFS he's got a worse record than McPeanut. If he is struggling mentally with personal issues then step down and get help, I do sympathise with him on that issue, but as the coach he has run us into the ground.

Last edited:

Mojo

Bench
Hook has not run the club into the ground. Its BOD and football department have
One thing I will say Hook has done well. Got rid of excess baggage who are no where to be seen.
That is not to say our recruitment has been good but in part it was Ok.
De-cruitment is the easy part.

twinkletoes

Juniors
I worry when it seems to me Ryles is waiting to see what Bellamy does before making a decision....not the right attitude if we are his fallback position. If he doesn't sign (which I think is more likely) I desperately hope the Board doesn't just the pick Young or Hornby for the sake of getting someone quickly on the rebound. To me this is sounding more and more merky...but at the moment it is all conjecture

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I think Richo will be good for sponsorship. Well regarded and that is one thing he did with Souths so well. He got the rich dudes to invest as well as other big sponsors on board the Souths train. Hopefully he can do the same with Saints.

If this Lancatser dude is doing all this work behind the scenes and pulls it off, I hope he stays for a very long time not just a short period where they swap the chariman's annually. I think from memory he put in a push to change it to 3 years not annually. If he pulls it off he should definitely get his way and be their 3 year at least.

Dragon David

First Grade
I worry when it seems to me Ryles is waiting to see what Bellamy does before making a decision....not the right attitude if we are his fallback position. If he doesn't sign (which I think is more likely) I desperately hope the Board doesn't just the pick Young or Hornby for the sake of getting someone quickly on the rebound. To me this is sounding more and more merky...but at the moment it is all conjecture
Yes, twinkletoes doing something on the rebound can have catastrophic consequences. I feel in a way that Hook was a rebound signing with the problem being that there were not too many good choices to pick from and those that were wanted didn't want to coach us so, Hook was it.

Ryles waiting to see what Bellamy will do also wouldn't be terrific for us. I want someone who genuinely wants to coach us as their first choice and prepared to really work hard to get us back up there. No more pussy footing around. We can't have this drama happening again and again and again, surely?

Illusion

Bench
Yes, twinkletoes doing something on the rebound can have catastrophic consequences. I feel in a way that Hook was a rebound signing with the problem being that there were not too many good choices to pick from and those that were wanted didn't want to coach us so, Hook was it.

Ryles waiting to see what Bellamy will do also wouldn't be terrific for us. I want someone who genuinely wants to coach us as their first choice and prepared to really work hard to get us back up there. No more pussy footing around. We can't have this drama happening again and again and again, surely?
I for one thought Hook was just what we needed , after rookie coaches , experienced , not linked to the club in anyway, but gee did I get that wrong 🤔

hewi

Bench
I have had two interesting discussions in the last two weeks about the Dragons with two people in the gym I attend. The first a present first day coach and the second a former player from twenty years ago. In both cases they both said the amalgamation had robbed the club of its culture and DNA. The player was there 20 years ago and said that when he went there from Souths he learned more in the first two weeks than he had learnt in his whole career prior to that. Griffin should go but the problems are bigger than just that.

justadragon

Bench
I have had two interesting discussions in the last two weeks about the Dragons with two people in the gym I attend. The first a present first day coach and the second a former player from twenty years ago. In both cases they both said the amalgamation had robbed the club of its culture and DNA. The player was there 20 years ago and said that when he went there from Souths he learned more in the first two weeks than he had learnt in his whole career prior to that. Griffin should go but the problems are bigger than just that.
The amalgamation with Illawarra ensured our existence in the NRL, joining with Cronulla would have caused too many issues. Having said that, there could of been different ways to organise the sale and merger of the Steelers. It is what it is now and we ALL have to move forward. I'm sure that someone like Richardson can get the DRAGONS DNA where it should be regardless of the 2 districts. Bennett did it, it can be done with the right people, I'll say it again "good things happen with the right people" !!!!!!

BLM01

First Grade
Mentioned elsewhere that Haran has been given a two year contract extension. In what position it wasn’t said.🤷🏼‍♂️
It will be the same role but reporting to hopefully Richo so he can learn how do to do the role properly.. 🤑 and then take over again when Richo sets it all up
Go figure that is how they spend their money at the Dragons
Keep giving the jobs for the boys

BLM01

First Grade
I can agree with some of your points but I cant agree with you on Hook. Hook has continually made poor choices in team selection, extremely poor, has played favorites, has mucked about with the development of our juniors, has churned through assistant coaches, our attack and defence are as ordinary as they have ever been, the discipline is practically the worst it has ever been, communication in the football dept is virtually non existent, the morale in the team, club,members, supporters and fans is at an all time low, we are now favorites for the spoon on Hook's watch. FFS he's got a worse record than McPeanut. If he is struggling mentally with personal issues then step down and get help, I do sympathise with him on that issue, but as the coach he has run us into the ground.
All I said that Hook done well was got rid of much needed deadwood over the past 3 years and out us in a better position to spend $$$
Nothing else. You brought up everything 😁