What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Dragon David

First Grade
Letting go of Hook now may come down to simply economics and starting a new coach on a reduced $$.

Who would that be?

Do we just go with keeping Hook for the rest ofvtgrxseason knowing what we know already

Do we just get Cart or Wolfe to take the reigns?

Des probably would seeing he's out of a job atm.
Flanno is committed in both needing a release and current commentary commitments.
Hornby is a possibility after hecwould have to request a release from Souths.
Cheika would as he is already financially well-off.
Rohan Smith is another name being bandied about. But don't know much about his current commitments.

As far as I'm aware every club has an 'admin cap' which includes the HC. If we let Hook go and pay him out now the new coach has to accept some very small stipend for the remainder of the season.

It's not an easy decision although very necessary. Particularly that we need to get it right. Very right this time.
Exactly Dragonslayer. We have got to get it right, very right this time. No second best, no let's give him a try, no cheap buy. The time has come for the Board to select the best, just like John West.

Carlton

Juniors
Exactly Dragonslayer. We have got to get it right, very right this time. No second best, no let's give him a try, no cheap buy. The time has come for the Board to select the best, just like John West.
My first choice is Bennett and my second choice is Bellamy. However, I am assuming that they are not available and of the names thrown around I find I'm more comfortable with the idea of Smith ahead of the others. To me every name mentioned has a fair degree of gamble and potential to backfire, its more a case of, given from who's available, who seems to have the highest probability of providing what the club needs while providing the lowest probability of causing harm.

TheRev

First Grade
We should have things resolved before the Titans are looking.. not that it would matter if it was blokes like Hornby or Young we are after.. the Titans aren't that silly. Flanno and Hasler though.. maybe..

We need it sorted anyway, because we need to retain players & get that marquee prop signed for 2024.. we can't do that until they sort the coach out.. they have their shortlist now so it shouldn't take more than a week or 2 to hold those interviews and make a decision.. they don't need 100% of the details.. but they at least need to nail down the head coach... if they drag things out between official monthly board meetings etc.. then #*&* them..

Walpole

Juniors

jak

Bench

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Shane is pushing for Kyle to come in then I am glad he is out of the running. Kyle is terrible.

I am starting to think Doust may be butting heads with the board to keep Flanno out of the running because of Kyle which is a good thing as Bud is much better and the Dogs will pounce on this.

Kyle should go to England. He will be a star there.

SEAT 1A

Bench

Dragon David

First Grade

Unsainty79

Juniors
thats like saying "I didn't wanna go anyways" after not being invited. Mark my words he'd jump at the chance
I disagree. I don’t think Young or Hornby want to come back, why would they? They’re at clubs who are fairing a lot better than us. If either of them wanted to come back, they’d be here already & this is why this search is dragging on & on. Both of them are probably next cabs off the rank apart from Ryles. There are a lot better options than the Dragons.

Dragon David

First Grade
I disagree. I don’t think Young or Hornby want to come back, why would they? They’re at clubs who are fairing a lot better than us. If either of them wanted to come back, they’d be here already & this is why this search is dragging on & on. Both of them are probably next cabs off the rank apart from Ryles. There are a lot better options than the Dragons.
If neither Young, Hornby and Ryles want to come to the Dragons to be the Head Coach, then we really must smell. Fitzy didn't want to come either. These ex players know how hard it is to be part of the Dragons operations. None of those guys would want to face the harshness of the criticism that many of our latter coaches have had to go through (albeit warranted) and failure, when success is now becoming a serious MUST, would kill their futures.

Take Barrett as well. Great assistant but poor Head Coach and at least we didn't try him with any coaching for us. His days as a Head Coach might be in the Super League.

This new coach searching and decision making seems to be a lot harder for the CEO, Football Manager, Board to announce and complete. The new guy has to be a person that will bring success, no ifs or buts, otherwise they might as well re-sign the Hook with a new line and hopefully not a sinker.

SAP58

Juniors
I think (hope) the reason why they would want to come back is they want to be a head coach. With Young & Hornby especially Hornby they will have to wait a considerable amount of time to progress at their current clubs to the head job. I really think the Dragons job is a good one for the right coach as long as he is given the right support (like money to buy players he wants), we are really in a bad state no disipline & we continue to be very bad at the football basics especially defence. Hopefully the right person (appointed sooner than later) can make a difference early and continue to build for the next several years. We have been down so long it will take some time to get rid of the bad habits & turn this team around and attract better players & develop our up & coming players. For the record my choice between the two is Hornby.

Gardenia

Juniors
Id love Hasler but considering who they approached already id say they are looking for young blood. Wonder if that was just a fraudian slip? I hope not.

Mjab

Juniors
Teams hate maguire So a big no
young is crap , we can see that now after watching cows defence
hornby done nothing but could come in under Des as assistant then he would have done a reasonable apprenticeship
Ryles would be good BUT WILL GO STORM a much better club with Bellamy helping him so a no brainer for him

Des can start next week !!!! And start the clean out
players love him and play for him , something we have NOt had since Bennett
I know he has issues but he is the most likely solution