What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

mattchuot

Juniors
Flanagan narrowly edges out Hasler for me. I recall a lot of the younger boys got along really well with him during his time as AC to Mary. I reckon he’d put his heart and soul into the job if he got the nod to make sure his legacy isn’t remembered by how his time at the Sharks ended.

twinkletoes

Juniors
I don't think any of us know what is going on at the Dragons re a new coach. The following snippet released by Fox...
"The strong mail is Jason Ryles is next to no chance of accepting the head coaching position for 2024, Shane Flanagan’s representative has been told he’s highly unlikely which basically leaves Ben Hornby in pole position."
All the speculation about Des I think is just that...unfounded speculation...the Board will probably go with someone who won't challenge them in any way...

Flanno didn’t do too much at sgi as a joint Mary caretaker.

He looked a distracted during those covid footage moment with young. A lot of fidgeting and looking out the window.

I still think the issue is cattle, not Hook, but if my head is being shoved closer to a fan blade, I’m

A. Dessie
B. Morris
C. Potter

Let the bodies hit the floor…

Tough gig until you can drag in more talent.

To market I say.

Last edited:

Pumpkin

Juniors
I may be wrong, but I'm feeling that whoever coaches St George is going to fail. They seem to lack spirit and I think it's caused by the joint venture.

Dragon David

First Grade
Flanno didn’t do too much at sgi as a joint Mary caretaker.

He looked a distracted during those covid footage moment with young. A lot of fidgeting and looking out the window.

I still think the issue is cattle, not Hook, but if my head is being shoved closer to a fan blade, I’m

A. Dessie
B. Morris
C. Potter

Let the bodies hit the floor…

Tough gig until you can drag in more talent.

To market I say.
I see that whomever is the lucky or unlucky coach to take the Dragons through the competition from 2024, unless he has the cattle to make a difference to the way the Dragons have performed in the past 2-3 years under Hook, his success rate could possibly be consistent with the current and the previous coach. Hook has had a task from the get go to rebuild the Dragons and at the same time straighten out the salary cap. His choice in the sort of players he could sign up at prices to fit in with the available cap figure at the time would have been a "beggars can't be choosers" situation.

At the time of Hook going to the market to sign up replacement players for others who were also rejects or hand me downs from other clubs, any decent players either were too costly or didn't want a bar of the Dragons, so the Dragons end up with who they have now. Overall, while results over the past 2 years and during these earlier 9 rounds have not got us to the top 8 (and of course very likely to miss out this year), I could say that just with a little luck and better management we might have made 8th position in 2022 in my opinion and that is with the sort of cattle we had then and of course having Hook to get that extra bit out of the players which he couldn't.

So I agree with you Silverdale, we do need an improved roster of players and hopefully the new coach will be able to ween out who to keep, who to turf out and who to sign and fit within the salary cap. If not, we will continue to have a disappointing few seasons ahead.

Mojo

Bench
If Hasler takes over and turns the joint around he’ll look like a genius.

If Hasler takes over and we continue to suck it’s career over for Hasler.

Big risk on his part.
He has already perfected the demented part of looking like a genius. If nothing else, he'd be more entertaining than old Hook. If we maintain our well-honed losing abilities, we'll probably find him wandering around Jubilee Oval, with his ruffled hair, wearing a mothballed cardigan, playing an out of tune violin.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
He has already perfected the demented part of looking like a genius. If nothing else, he'd be more entertaining than old Hook. If we maintain our well-honed losing abilities, we'll probably find him wandering around Jubilee Oval, with his ruffled hair, wearing a mothballed cardigan, playing an out of tune violin.
…which song? “Oh When The Saints…...”? Dont laugh, it could be an interview question!

Last edited:
I see that whomever is the lucky or unlucky coach to take the Dragons through the competition from 2024, unless he has the cattle to make a difference to the way the Dragons have performed in the past 2-3 years under Hook, his success rate could possibly be consistent with the current and the previous coach. Hook has had a task from the get go to rebuild the Dragons and at the same time straighten out the salary cap. His choice in the sort of players he could sign up at prices to fit in with the available cap figure at the time would have been a "beggars can't be choosers" situation.

At the time of Hook going to the market to sign up replacement players for others who were also rejects or hand me downs from other clubs, any decent players either were too costly or didn't want a bar of the Dragons, so the Dragons end up with who they have now. Overall, while results over the past 2 years and during these earlier 9 rounds have not got us to the top 8 (and of course very likely to miss out this year), I could say that just with a little luck and better management we might have made 8th position in 2022 in my opinion and that is with the sort of cattle we had then and of course having Hook to get that extra bit out of the players which he couldn't.

So I agree with you Silverdale, we do need an improved roster of players and hopefully the new coach will be able to ween out who to keep, who to turf out and who to sign and fit within the salary cap. If not, we will continue to have a disappointing few seasons ahead.

The good news is that the player market never really sleeps.

It is very difficult to compare most coaches as the circumstances are different.

There are a few exceptions.

Bellamy has had full and unfettered control for a long time, planning is easier ( not perfect) whereas Madge and Hook inherited squads and had to make do.

If it’s a roster matter, you’d be right to sign Madge to have some involvement in the recruitment because he’s popular amongst the NRL playing fleet.

Once we showed Hartigan the door and before sheens started screwing with us, Madge signed Api, Paps, Staines, Hastings and others within only a couple of months plus he coaches NZ.

These players aren’t going to fix a roster, I understand …but it’s a start.

We sacked our recruiter last week which is probably a step in the right direction, but only time will tell.

I would prefer Hook over Sheens because in the broad, and from what I hear from ex players he’s a good coach.

You’ve got a chance with Hook, he can find something somewhere sometimes. Sheens almost always fails and betting against him is usually a sound and prudent investment. He has a talentless matey coaching team

Just some thoughts.