What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Illusion

Bench
Wonder if the other joint venture Wests Tigers has these same internal problems as us. and their fans too are calling it a basket case and want change. When I watch the St George teams running around in junior reps I am proud and long for the good old days, do the Wests and Tigers fans feel the same. Betting they do on both counts.
Not as bad as our lot ......

Mojo

Bench
From the moment ryles was mentioned and then all but announced; a lil bit of me wondered if ryles had those 1%'er attributes to be a class leader. To let this run its course and then pull out for an obvious shoe in to the Storm job displays all of ryles class. Maybe we dodged a bullet here. I still say that Flanno has the ability to pull everyone together (and indeed l believe that he would see that as the number one priority). It certainly places us open to another 6 weeks of criticism from those know-all media types. Crawley was kicking us for signing ryles last night... no doubt tomorrow night he will give it to us for not signing him.
Surely his nickname must be Creepy Crawley (or is it just me?)

I'm glad Ryles is not coming....it just didn't feel right. I can't work out the reluctance to take on Flanno? He's been there and done it. He's familiar with the junior development at several clubs....he seems to be an obvious choice. There must be a reason the great minds at the dragons have rejected him.... I just can't understand it.

We went off our heads when Ciraldo refused our offer.

In a rare show of unity, we blamed him first, the club second ( because they sacked Madge for Ciraldo).

I appreciate that the majority of forumers dislike your board and all officials and understand why.

But I honestly see this as a massive insult to you and the club.

4 years was the absolute maximum for a rookie coach, he had the pick of all available assistants, cash for signings, anything he bloody well wanted.

But instead of being a man about it and taking the bull by the horns, he cowards out.

He’s missed the opportunity of his life.

Last edited:

Mojo

Bench
These things happen. It's entirely possible, in fact likely, that both sides, StGI and Ryles, negotiated very professionally and in good faith and he simply settled on what he considers is a better offer.

I reckon Morris and / or Hornby could very well be better in the role than Ryles anyway.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Flanno wanted his son to go to Manly. If Flanno does get the SGI job, I really hope Kyle is not part of the deal. That is the only thing that scares me about getting Flanno. It will be a Brad Arthur and Jacob Arthur type scenario and you can ask all Parra fans how much they loved that. They are so glad Jacob left.

getsmarty

Immortal
I'm glad Ryles is not coming....it just didn't feel right. I can't work out the reluctance to take on Flanno? He's been there and done it. He's familiar with the junior development at several clubs....he seems to be an obvious choice. There must be a reason the great minds at the dragons have rejected him.... I just can't understand it.

I wont call him a traitor or a turncoat as he sees the Storm head coach gig a prize compared to coming to a basket case of a club that has had more downs than ups since the beginning of the JV.

I understand your self criticism, I despise our Wt board, officials and coaches. I support the fans, members and players having a go.

But there’s a line in the sand, the sheer arrogance and hubris to turn down the coaching position at SGI -from a rookie too.

Wasted everyone’s time and money expressing an Interest.

We blamed our club at first too, but in the cold light of day, smelling the coffee, the insult to all of us was just too much to take and we care not for Ciraldo.

Ryles doesn’t have the DNA, lacks confidence in himself and leadership. He wants to take what he thinks will be an easy route.

Gutless piker.

I think all ranks must close around your club today.

Just my thoughts, not trying to offend anyone except Ryles.

dungay dragon

Juniors
I think Ryles was genuinly interested is us, but things changed when he was "sacked" from the Roosters. That opened up an opportunity at the Storm, and it was a better opportunity than we could offer.
PHEW GUYS
that was close....Fancy considering paying 800k for a rookie Coach with NO Coaching Experience ....
Someone mentioned Hook was on 450k per season , and we were going to pay almost double for Ryles ??????? Bullet dodged..
As much as the media will blow torch the Club , allis not lost
Im envisaging the phones would be running hot with candidates putting their names forward for the opportunity
Personally i have always believed the job was for purely an Experienced Hard nosed Coach able to fix up our current d.ire situation and steer us to calmer waters ..
It should be down to Shane or Des.....Listen to Flanagan on Fox and his comments and reading of the plays are spot on...Would take the job in a heart beat...Oddly thru this whole mess havent heard Boo out of the Hasler camp . Not sure if he wanted the gig or not..
Alls not lost
If Ryles thinks he has taken the softer option by going to Storm , he should think again..
Following in Belly Aches shoes will be no easy "feet", If ever Slater changes his mind and wants the Storm Gig , he will be first preference
Whoever takes our gig as Coach....the only way is up.......

Nanadragon

Juniors
I understand your self criticism, I despise our Wt board, officials and coaches. I support the fans, members and players having a go.

But there’s a line in the sand, the sheer arrogance and hubris to turn down the coaching position at SGI -from a rookie too.

Wasted everyone’s time and money expressing an Interest.

We blamed our club at first too, but in the cold light of day, smelling the coffee, the insult to all of us was just too much to take and we care not for Ciraldo.

Ryles doesn’t have the DNA, lacks confidence in himself and leadership. He wants to take what he thinks will be an easy route.

Gutless piker.

I think all ranks must close around your club today.

Just my thoughts, not trying to offend anyone except Ryles.
Thank you Silver. I have often wondered why you involve yourself on our forum and thought of you as a spy in some ways. Today I see your interest and sympathy for us Dragons fans in a genuine light. Thank you from me, a Saints/Dragons fan since 1961. You can figure I don't have the years ahead of me to see this once great Club back on its feet and competitive again.

BLM01

First Grade
Foy
Doust does not want him
They have to unanimously agree on a coach
They are a regime our BOD like no other

Latest posts