What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commission to outlaw 'shoulder charge'

Should the Shoulder Charge be banned?

• Total voters

dogslife

Coach
Harden the f*ck up is my answer.

It's a tough contact sport.........players get injured. Concussion has been part of the game since it began,

accidents will happen.

F*ck being like the NFL pussies and start wearing helmets

or

be like yawnion turds and ban shoulder charges all together.

The shoulder hitting the players head is just as much a result of the tackled player ducking into the tackle than it is the tackler aiming for the head.

Should we ban players ducking into tackles..........?

My God. We agree on something... I think the universe is gonna explode

Big Pete

Referee
Frank received a careless grade 1, so it will depend on priors if Te'o sits out a week.

Pritchard hits Simmons higher than Te'o hits Groat. From what I've seen on replays, the point of Te'os hit is around the shoulders with marginal contact to the chin.

F**k you too. :crazy:

:D

Seriously though, shoulder charging is one of the main things that separates us from Union.

The collisions are what makes RL great, accidents are going to happen.

This thread is an abomination and a disgrace to the forefathers of RL, yeah thats right I said forefathers !

Don't ban it, but make sure the players know if they go for one and they stuff it up, no matter how accidental it is, you will spend time on the sidelines.

Karl

Juniors
You can have big hits without a shoulder charge. They are supposed to be tackling the player, so there should at least be some attempt to get the arms involved in the tackle. If on the other hand you have no concern at all for player safety, leave it alone and wait for a fatality or just accept that a lot of ex-League players are going to end up shuffling mumbling dribblers who can't move when it gets damp. The whole "slippery slope" argument that assumes a moderation of shoulder charges will inevitably lead to bans on all tackling and namby pamby mummies boys mincing around the field in ballet shoes is just ridiculous in my opinion.

Leaving it as it has become but saying "get it wrong and we'll hammer you" is a bit like giving a kid scissors, challenging him to a race and then saying "don't trip".

Card Shark

Immortal
No but if a player attempts a shoulder charge & whacks someone in the head, he should be cited, accident or not.

RLNY

Juniors
Do you want this to become the future of rugby league players after they retire? One way or another head shots have to come out of the game for rugby league to survive as a code. If it means banning shoulder charges, then so be it (I would rather try to enforce existing rules).

The thing is, unlike the NFL, rugby league has a future.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
The penalties last night were absurd.

This is a basic fundamental right of people playing Rugby League. Not to contact people in the head, but to shoulder charge people. It's been apart of our game since Centenery and if they dare ban it, they're just submitting to a vocal minority who get paid to state the obvious.

Big Pete

Referee
If anything the tackle last night reminded me more of Bowen's on Gardner's.

I'm pretty sure Bowen wasn't charged.

Apey

Staff member
leave it, penalise those who shoulder charge the head instead of below the shoulders

lol at anyone who thinks the hit wasn't high btw

WayneBennett

Juniors
If that hit happened and Teo was still a tiger, wed be reading about the hit of the century. It was a fair shot. If this starts being the norm Ill take up watching League Chess

I understand where the OP is coming from on this one. Last nights hit from Teo was an almost picture perfect shoulder charge, but collateral damage from the hit was the ball carrier's head ended up hitting Teo's shoulder. There's no way Teo intended any malice, his technique was spot on and he justifiably argued the decision.

So by extension there is the argument that can be made that if perfectly executed shoulder charges are going to have this result we may as rule them out of the game, if this is the way referees are going to call it.

The most perplexing element here is that a number of other contacts to the head continue to be allowed. What is most irksome to me is that refs are frowning on Teo's type of contact yet continue to allow the countless contacts we see in almost every tackle. Tacklers are invariably wrapping arms around the top portion of the body in the tackle, heads and necks are getting squeezed to buggery when this occurs. Yet no one bats an eyelid to this.

It's frustrating in the extreme to me that we are swiftly on the way to eliminating a spectacular element of the game in the shoulder charge, because of incidental contact with the head. But more insidious forms of contact are seemingly allowed.

It wasn't quite perfect technique - needed to be 15cm lower. :D

I wouldn't ban shoulder charges, but would make it very clear to players that if they aim on the high side and contact the tackled player's head they will be rubbed out for several games.

dogslife

Coach
If that hit happened and Teo was still a tiger, wed be reading about the hit of the century. It was a fair shot. If this starts being the norm Ill take up watching League Chess

Yep, Groat took a trip to disneyland on the back of having his shoulder rattled :sarcasm:

AuDragon

Juniors
:lol: You're kidding yourself champ. And you've basically answered your own question there, contact with the head... I thought that much was obvious
Yeah, it was and he'll probably get a couple of weeks for that, be it reckless of careless contact with the head, which is fair enough.

However, I didn't make my point clear, in the sense that there was no intention or malice in Te'o's hit, as opposed to Blair, who had more than enough time to stop, and still blindsided Wallace! I have no doubt there was clear intention in that, and that makes it worse in my book.

AuDragon

Juniors
Do you want this to become the future of rugby league players after they retire? One way or another head shots have to come out of the game for rugby league to survive as a code. If it means banning shoulder charges, then so be it (I would rather try to enforce existing rules).

The thing is, unlike the NFL, rugby league has a future.
The real danger with concussions is SIS or second impact syndrome, and can only happen if the brain suffers a second violent impact while still not healed from the previous one. This is why players have to be taken off the field and forcibly kept of it until they are fit for duty again!

There is no need to ban shoulder charges for this reason. What needs to be addressed is the care of a player when he is concussed, and if the steps already taken by the NRL are not enough, then make the tests more strict and the punishments to offenders more serious!