What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commission to outlaw 'shoulder charge'

Should the Shoulder Charge be banned?

• Total voters
Aside from a few journalists who make-up controversy to sell papers, is there any actual controversy or dispute within the League world about the shoulder charge?

As far as I'm aware the outright preponderance of League fans, players, coaches and pundits are agreed that shoulder charges should remain. But if you were to read a paper you couldn't be blamed for thinking the game was in melt down, with people being significantly injured at every turn, and fans calling on the NRL to end the barbarism.

The only people opposed to the shoulder charge seem to be medics, who are contacted by journalists for a quote on the subject - and there's a difference between that and being so outraged you start a campaign - and say something to the tune of "Yeah, they're dangerous, the game doesn't need it". But then a medic would say that about every part of the game, they'd have all tackles done away with if they had their way.

It seems, to me, that the Australian media conspire to keep the NRL in a constant state of disarray and controversy - and when there isn't any they make it up.

So I ask you: The Shoulder charge, does it need banning?

snogard6

Juniors
I'm sick of all this talk to change the game to suit MUMs, this is what makes rugby league the worlds toughest sport, you take that away and you lose everything that this great game is all about.

This world is getting to polliticly correct, DON'T bring that crap into our game...

Once Dead

Bench
I'm with you. The only people who are calling for it are supposed League journalists who write for a paper which is only trying to drive down the amount of the inevitable TV rights deal......I wouldn't be surprised if they're getting major AFL kickbacks given the increase in their coverage.

The shoulder charge....when executed correctly....is what rugby league is all about......one on one collision between two players....not to mention, defenders can avoid them and shift the odds in their favour because most of the time you can see shoulder charges coming...it isn't like hitting players from behind and giving a brutal blindsiding/ unsighted 'hip and shoulders' like in AFL which are even more dangerous than a shoulder charge gone wrong...THAT is what mothers should be talking about....a squeaky clean image doesn't hide cowardly acts in a sport.....

Shoulder charges WILL remain....players who mess them up will be punished and that's the way it should be.....it is just like any other hit, it can go wrong but 95% of the time is just another exciting aspect of the rugby league battle.

Union apologists like Richard Freedman on Triple M cry it should be banned.....which is funny when they still have players being stomped on and raked with boot studs....not to mention, EYE GOUGING!

skeepe

Immortal
Warren Ryan was in hysterics about the shoulder charge last night, claiming that it'll end with a player being killed.

He also claimed Bill Harrigan agrees with him, which is the worrying part.

Dresden Dan

Juniors
AFL got rid of the bump and hasn't been the same since. As someone brought up on AF I got interested in NRL because of what made it different from AF like shoulder charges, the heavy hits, grinding out a win, state of origin, free agency and no draft, suburban grounds, cheerleaders, and cheerleaders. It's like RL is so scared kids and mums are going to run off to AFL. Maybe its the media stirring it up but they aren't the ones giving out penalties and suspensions.

Warren Ryan was in hysterics about the shoulder charge last night, claiming that it'll end with a player being killed.

He also claimed Bill Harrigan agrees with him, which is the worrying part.

Has anyone died yet? What gets me is in Union countries you never hear everyone calling for scrums to be outright banned, despite their ridiculous dangers (about 1000 x more than shoulder charges)

it just seems like a media attack on the game, and little else. And people like Warren Ryan imo should be considered traitors and removed from League.

It reminds me of last year when the media went crazy about rugby league gang signs in photoshoots, but they completely ignored the constant "gang signs" in union, basketball etc

strikes me as a war against the NRL, they know the product is great so have to destroy it and turn it into some boring shit

AFL got rid of the bump and hasn't been the same since. As someone brought up on AF I got interested in NRL because of what made it different from AF like shoulder charges, the heavy hits, grinding out a win, state of origin, free agency and no draft, suburban grounds, cheerleaders, and cheerleaders. It's like RL is so scared kids and mums are going to run off to AFL. Maybe its the media stirring it up but they aren't the ones giving out penalties and suspensions.

The media influence the NRL though. Sponsors in particular have the biggest influence on both.

Seems like the NRL are trying to keep sponsors happy by softening the game, and the media are trying to keep sponsors happy by trying to force change by backing the NRL into a corner

happens with politics, no reason it couldn't be happening in spot

Dresden Dan

Juniors
The media influence the NRL though. Sponsors in particular have the biggest influence on both.

Seems like the NRL are trying to keep sponsors happy by softening the game, and the media are trying to keep sponsors happy by trying to force change by backing the NRL into a corner

happens with politics, no reason it couldn't be happening in spot

NFL seems do ok for a violent sport.

If you take away from NRL the things that make it different no AFL or rugby or soccer fan will bother watching RL for something different.

babyg

Juniors
I love the shoulder charge. There should more of them. Theyre great momentum changes in a game. I don't remember Ian Roberts concussing anyone or SBW. Just aim lower.

This reminds me of Columbine and people wanted to ban trench coats.

But it does beg the question, do we change the game because of sponsors?

Sooner or later the very nature of league is going to become politically incorrect and on the far outer of the values of society. When we're at this stage, whether it's 15 years of 50 years, what do we do? Do we hold strong or do we make changes because of media/sponsor pressure?

As with all manly sports I can see the fabric of league being taken apart. It sounds outlandish now but it's only a matter of time before it happens.

Take opinions on smoking, could anybody imagine 25 years ago that social and government scrutiny would be where it is now?

Unless the League community get proactive in defending the nature of the game it's bad news ahead. And that's why people like Warren should be removed from the game, if he is engaging in treason. So-called fans too, those who oppose shoulder charges, should also be advised to seek out a sport better suited for them.

NFL seems do ok for a violent sport.

If you take away from NRL the things that make it different no AFL or rugby or soccer fan will bother watching RL for something different.

Ah, but you musn't have spoken to an NFL fan! The NFL over the last few years have softened up the game significantly to appease advertisers and "soccer moms", and many NFL are outraged about the direction of the game.

If anything I would say keep an eye on North America, because w/e health controversy they have (Football, Hockey, etc) seems to be picked up shortly after in the League world.

This shoulder charge "controversy" at the moment is actually driven by what's been happening in the NHL and NFL recently.

You can have big hits without a shoulder charge.

If that was true then why do big hits in Union come about once every seven years?

If you outlaw the shoulder charge you end up with a Union situation where everybody is doing running hugs like homosexuals.

If you get rid of shoulder charges you make the game very soft.

There is also ZERO evidence that shoulder charges (of the legal variety) pose any significant risk to the tackled player. In fact, if you wanted to, you could quite easily argue that text book wrapping tackles result in much more significant injury to ankles, legs and arms.

The only argument against shoulder charges comes back to one thing - HIGH SHOTS.

But high shots are dangerous whether shoulder charges or straight-arms

There's a new shoulder charge thread already, just because you start another one, it won't make your opinion more relevant.

My suggestion is to simply hand out a lot more severe punishments for forceful head contacts, whether from the shoulder or a swinging arm. Rugby league is NOT a contact sport. Boxing and K1 are contact sports, where your aim is to hurt the opponent. Rugby league is a COLLISION sport, which means you're not allowed to punch, kick, knee and elbow the opponent. The shoulder charge is a grey area but if big penalties, including sending offs are enforced for head contact, then players would use it more sparingly and stop trying to kill each other on the field.

There's a new shoulder charge thread already, just because you start another one, it won't make your opinion more relevant.

My suggestion is to simply hand out a lot more severe punishments for forceful head contacts, whether from the shoulder or a swinging arm. Rugby league is NOT a contact sport. Boxing and K1 are contact sports, where your aim is to hurt the opponent. Rugby league is a COLLISION sport, which means you're not allowed to punch, kick, knee and elbow the opponent. The shoulder charge is a grey area but if big penalties, including sending offs are enforced for head contact, then players would use it more sparingly and stop trying to kill each other on the field.

Howdy merkin, if you'd bothered to read the other thread (which was bumped about 15 minutes ago) you'll see I acknowledged my mistake already and asked for my thread to be merged.

f**king halfwit.