What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commission to outlaw 'shoulder charge'

Should the Shoulder Charge be banned?

• Total voters

Lego_Man

First Grade
Scoring tries when bouncing the ball, disallowed tries because a defender took out the decoy runner, being able to knock-on because you didn't mean to, having to stand and watch whilst the defending fullback catches a bomb etc. etc. all put their hand up to say "Just don't bother any more". And one day I'll agree.

I would suggest that if your enjoyment of the game hinges on trivialities like that, you may as well just give it up now and save yourself the trouble.

some11

Referee
Gotcha bitch!

30sbnv5.jpg

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The inherent flaw in the call to outlaw shoulder charges because of the chance of incidental contact with the head, is that you would have to ban tackling with arms for the very same reason. For those arms are also known to come into contact with the head at times.

I hope my point is quite clear here, you can't go around outlawing everything that may possibly cause some damage.

gronkathon

First Grade
The high tackle comparrisson is a good one.

If a guy goes high with the arms it is a penalty, a report and a grading, in bad cases it is a send off.

Same rules apply with shoulder charges, you stuff up and you risk being sat down and spending a fair whack of time on the sidelines.

If a directive like this had been issued after the Pritchard incident with a rough criteria for grading we would be in a much better position as a game to deal with it

Big Pete

Referee
Except shoulder chargers are far more reckless than tackling with the arms.

I don't think they should, but the way the game is heading, you might as well because there really isn't that big a margin for error.

Dresden Dan

Juniors
The high tackle comparrisson is a good one.

If a guy goes high with the arms it is a penalty, a report and a grading, in bad cases it is a send off.

Same rules apply with shoulder charges, you stuff up and you risk being sat down and spending a fair whack of time on the sidelines.

If a directive like this had been issued after the Pritchard incident with a rough criteria for grading we would be in a much better position as a game to deal with it

Better to deal with but stuffs up something that helps make people want to watch rugby league.

Go ask a AFL fan what he likes or doesn't like about league. I doubt he will say legs tackles.

nqcowboy87

Bench
ban it fi you want the game to turn into something for premadonnas, accidents happen sure the pritchard on simmons one looked bad but you cant ban them outright thatd be just stupid.

jbl31649

Juniors
no.

I'm happy with how their dealing with them now. Players will adjust when they can and aim lower, but if we ban it the game will suffer.

Personall I think all charges this year were fine, but I can understand the safety aspect. Just blow the whistle and move on.

AuDragon

Juniors
I found the late tackle from Blair on Wallace much worse than the hit from Te'o, even if the latter resulted in a concussion for Groat.

Look at this hit from Te'o on Lima 3 years ago, and tell me what the difference is besides the accidental contact with the head?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7P7ADaOoLM

Grapple

Bench
I found the late tackle from Blair on Wallace much worse than the hit from Te'o, even if the latter resulted in a concussion for Groat.

Look at this hit from Te'o on Lima 3 years ago, and tell me what the difference is besides the accidental contact with the head?

Are you having a laugh? Blair trotted across and bumped him late! :lol: Teo came in like a freight train and completely smashed him.

dogslife

Coach
If there's any consistency Teo will get the same charge Pritchard got. They were virtually identical hits for mine

dogslife

Coach

:lol: You're kidding yourself champ. And you've basically answered your own question there, contact with the head... I thought that much was obvious

Mr Fourex

Bench
What say you LU? Think of the children or harden the f**k up?

Harden the f*ck up is my answer.

It's a tough contact sport.........players get injured. Concussion has been part of the game since it began,

accidents will happen.

F*ck being like the NFL pussies and start wearing helmets

or

be like yawnion turds and ban shoulder charges all together.

The shoulder hitting the players head is just as much a result of the tackled player ducking into the tackle than it is the tackler aiming for the head.

Should we ban players ducking into tackles..........?