What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed Signings - 2012/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxhead

First Grade
Again, I believe they are cap-compliant.
If people are complaining about the team Bulldogs will have why don't you complain about the Broncos team.....
And yet again, I believe they are cap-compliant as well.

Serc

First Grade
One thing that gets me with all this is that even though a number of the Dogs signings are 'depth signings' or close to minimum/minimum wage signings...they have signed so many of these even they will begin to add up.

During the Storm saga they couldn't just cut their cheapest players because there is a minimum value you can sign people up for. These new Dogs players aren't just signed up for a couple of thousand dollars in the 2nd tier cap surely...most of them are first graders or fringe first graders, certainly not 'NSW Cup only' players.

There is of course a reasonable chance that the Dogs have a similar setup to the Broncos with the 'unaffiliated' 3rd parties that pump the money in to the players, so the club is effectively playing significantly above the cap but is 100% legal (don't start me on that). Because really, the Dogs should be the last team (well...now #2 after the Storm) to run the gauntlet when it comes to the salary cap...they must have learned their lesson in 2002 surely!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised if the void left by SBW's contract walkout was still an issue - his contract he walked out on was until 2012.

Even then, without being privy to the finances of the club or what each player is paid it just seems absurd people would play silly guessing games.

ByRd posted yesterday - we've signed the following players:

Frank Pritchard, Aiden Tolman, Trent Hodkinson, Kris Keating, Grant Millington, Jonathan Wright and Michael Lett (and Ryan Tandy if you want to count him)

The signing of Eastwood is yet to be confirmed.

However, we have released:

Luke Patten, Brett Kimmorley, Ben Hannant, Jarrad Hickey, Daniel Harrison, Blake Green, Yileen Gordon and Danny Williams.

So far that's 7 signed for 8 released by my count.

And I don't understand the murmurs surrounding Adam Blair - he's contracted to the Storm for 2011 and the club said as much after revealing who was staying and going when GI signed with Brisbane:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gPXehjS81U_H5UkezhLmqsUwMf8w

hybrid_tiger

Coach
The Dogs have only signed one real quality player (Pritchard) so I don't know how they would be over the cap.

Tolman, Hodkinson and Keating are all still rookies (or relatively young anyway), and Millington, Wright and Lett are merely squad fillers.

Don't see the fuss TBH.

ByRd

First Grade
The Dogs have only signed one real quality player (Pritchard) so I don't know how they would be over the cap.

Tolman, Hodkinson and Keating are all still rookies (or relatively young anyway), and Millington, Wright and Lett are merely squad fillers.

Don't see the fuss TBH.
Thankyou, someone that can see things how they are.

franklin2323

Immortal

Don't see the fuss TBH.

Rookies or no rookies

Hodkinson 800k over 3 years
Keating 600 over 3 years
Tolman 900k over 3 years

They were all losing bids for the players services.

Add Morris, Idris both now Rep players and got upgrades I dare say to reflect that status.

Barba also upgraded.

Unless all have been heavily backended I see them as being over for what has gone.

Given the fact 12 months or so ago. Stagg, Kimmorley, Hannant, Turner were all bought from elsewhere and only had a couple of years so couldn't of been backended yet.

That would of used much of the excess from the Mason, Williams departures

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Hodkinson 800k over 3 years
Keating 600 over 3 years
Tolman 900k over 3 years

Where are these figures from, surely they can't be correct?

$270K a season for Hodkinson? - has had one good season.
$200K a season for Keating? - $200K for a very, very average player?
$300K for Tolman? - $300K for a largely unproven prop?

Surely you are sh*tting me?

Bench

No,they were the figures quoted in th papers at the time,so that is all we have to go on,Manly actually came out and said we can't match the $800k Trent was offered.

franklin2323

Immortal

NO. Hasler said on Fox Sports news that they can't match the $800k offer. Parra said the same for Keating and Tolman's manager said he knocked back a $600k offer from the Storm so using that the prices quoted on several websites/articles would be close to the mark

Timmah

Staff member
So media speculation on contract figures is 100% accurate now? :lol: Please.

Even allowing for your agenda driven post franklin, you're still not taking into account the fact we've so far RELEASED more players than we have SIGNED.

sooperdooper

First Grade
the dogs have paid overs for all players mentioned.... as for tolman he would have play SOO this year had he not been injured..

Timmah

Staff member
Again, not knowing what the true figures are, how would you know? :lol:

franklin2323

Immortal
So media speculation on contract figures is 100% accurate now? :lol: Please.

Even allowing for your agenda driven post franklin, you're still not taking into account the fact we've so far RELEASED more players than we have SIGNED.

No it's not but I just explained why I think media reports are close to the mark they never a are 100% but if a current club says we offered this and can't match it, Then you see a figure mentioned higher it's safe to assume the truth lies smomewhere inbetween those reports might even be less for all we know.

I have no agenda I just see the likes of Dragons and Broncos teams who are always up the top shedding players and the Bulldogs don't.

Then who have you released since SBW and Mason left? They are the source never ending pot.

In has came:

Hannant yes now gone but couldn't backend in 2 years
Stagg
Turner
Morris since upgraded
Kimmorley Gone
Hodkinson Manly confirmed they couldn't match the offer 800k over 3 years
Payne apparently overs
Halatau
Keating
Pritchard Confirmed as $400k by the Panther media guy
Tolman
Lett minimum
Wright minimum
Millington

Upgraded the likes of Barba and Idris

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
:lol: Tim...with that logic Melbourne would've been okay to continue!

Have a look at their 2009 Gains/Losses.

Gains: Atelea Vea, Chase Stanley, John Kite, Todd Lowrie, Luke MacDougall
Losses: Will Chambers, Joseph Tomane, Steve Turner, James Maloney, Matt Cross, Wairangi Koopu, Brett Anderson, Dallas Johnson and Scott Anderson.

Not that I believe the Dogs are cheating the cap, I just think your logic is flawed.

I'd like to know who the Doggies re-signed this season. It wouldn't surprise me if J. Moz, Ennis, Stagg and Goodwinn are on cheap contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts