What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed Signings - 2012/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:lol: so because there's players in there who didn't break the bank, they somehow don't count? :lol:

Some people will make anything up to win an internet argument... how sad.

CMUX

I doubt they are over the cap. The real issue here is the hypocrisy of the bulldogs and their fans. I am sure we all remember the infamous “bred not bought” campaign a couple of years back as well as the “family club” mantra the bulldogs live by.

Timmah

Staff member
I doubt they are over the cap. The real issue here is the hypocrisy of the bulldogs and their fans. I am sure we all remember the infamous “bred not bought” campaign a couple of years back as well as the “family club” mantra the bulldogs live by.
Uh, the club's marketing dept came up with that, not the fans.

Half those players I doubt would have been in the top 25..
You do know we got the spoon in 2008 don't you? Each one of those players played first grade in 2008.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just because they played First grade in 2008 doesn't mean they are automatically in the top 25 in 2009 or 2010.

And most of those guys are playing NSW Cup and are not in the Bulldogs top 25.

That would mean they fall under the second tier of the cap wouldn't they?

Tom Ace

Bench
Uh, the club's marketing dept came up with that, not the fans.

You do know we got the spoon in 2008 don't you? Each one of those players played first grade in 2008.

Right, so you don't think any Dogs fans were sprouting the exact same sentiments before the shirt came out?

It was a completely new belief that the "marketing department" came up with...and then it caught on with the fans?

mortz

Goodwin and Morris are still on their original contracts AFAIK, Ennis as well. Players don't suddenly get bigger contract $$$ mid-season because they play rep footy, that's stuff that gets negotiated next contract...

this is not accurate.
rep bonuses are in contracts.
one of our rep players went up a tier in his contract after playing rep football, and its a reason we are closer to the cap than we should be

Timmah

Staff member
I wasn't referring to rep bonuses, I was saying that contracts don't just grow mid-season or mid-contract due to a player having played rep footy.

Something to remember also is that neither Morris nor Goodwin played rep footy in 2010...

Garts

Bench
Apparantly most contracts have clauses that give not only a bonus but a pay increase if players crack rep teams. Makes sense I guess.

Big Mick

Referee
I wasn't referring to rep bonuses, I was saying that contracts don't just grow mid-season or mid-contract due to a player having played rep footy.

Something to remember also is that neither Morris nor Goodwin played rep footy in 2010...

Morris did in 09' and automatically achieved the KPI in his contract which meant his salary the following year would increase.

Using your argument...just because someone doesn't play rep footy in one year...doesn't mean their salary goes down.

Doga

Juniors
Right, so you don't think any Dogs fans were sprouting the exact same sentiments before the shirt came out?

It was a completely new belief that the "marketing department" came up with...and then it caught on with the fans?
Every Dogs fan gave it to the Roosters on the back of that. Guess we gotta just cop it sweet for a decade or so lol

Tom Ace

Bench
Every Dogs fan gave it to the Roosters on the back of that. Guess we gotta just cop it sweet for a decade or so lol

Incorrect.

Dogs fans were making those sort of remarks well before the shirt came out.

Your second sentence is correct though. You are going to have to cop it sweet for a decade or so. Or at least until the majority of your team isn't imported.

Apey

Staff member
http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/?s=article-display&id=30744

KNIGHTS SIGN STEVE SOUTHERN

newcastleknights.com

24/09/2010 11:45:00 AM

The Newcastle Knights have bolstered their forward pack by securing the signature of hardworking North Queensland Cowboys back rower Steve Southern for the 2011 season.
Southern, 28, is a Dapto junior who progressed through the junior representative ranks at St George Illawarra before signing with the North Queensland Cowboys in 2004.
After seven seasons including 123 NRL matches and a Grand Final appearance in 2005, the man affectionately known as ‘Bluey’ has developed a reputation as a tough player with a no nonsense approach, making his connection to the Newcastle Knights a perfect fit.
“Steve is a great acquisition to our club and I’m really looking forward to working with him when we reassemble our squad in early November,” Knights Coach Rick Stone said.
“Bluey has an unquestionable work ethic with a relentless attention to detail which fits our club culture and adds some invaluable experience to our relatively young squad.”
Southern will join the Newcastle Knights squad in early November when they resume training for the off season.

The Knights will truly be a force to be reckoned with in 2011.

WATCH OUT !

Big Pete

Referee
Big Mick, what's your source on Morris and Ennis receiving salary increases for playing rep. footy?

Having just done a little research, neither incentive was mentioned and it appears they were both signed to 3 year deals.

Timmah

Staff member
They have a formidable squad for 2011 but they've had quality on the park for years and done nothing... who knows what their future holds :?

elyod138

Bench
:lol:

Why the f**k would a club throw money away like that?

On another note, looks like people can't wait to get out of Townsville. How many is that now? Something like 20 isn't it?

The majority of players moving on are leaving because the club doesn't want them anymore, not the other way around.

Kilkenny

Coach
Big Mick, what's your source on Morris and Ennis receiving salary increases for playing rep. footy?

Having just done a little research, neither incentive was mentioned and it appears they were both signed to 3 year deals.

Big Pete,

I would suggest almost all registered contracts for everybody would include clauses where there would be bonuses paid based on selection in representative sides.

It would be niave in the extreme to conclude contracts do not include such increases or bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts