What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Congrats on the title Cowboys

Y2Eel said:
ya mufin good one....

what else would a player pumped up on a friday night who had just had a try disallowed do calmly walk over to the ref i think not.... or he could have yelled at the top of his lungs at the video ref....

What else could a 'pumped up player' do? How about...Just accepting the - 100% CORRECT - decision....And just Shutting TFU??

How about that? :p

Most other players seem to manage it in the overwhelming majority after all...Food for thought eh? And as we all well know - Piggy LOOOOOOVES his food! Muffins included - so watch out there Y2Eel! Or is being eaten By Mark Riddell some kind of dark fantasy of yours, perhaps? ;-)

What was Simpkins gonna do - overrule the Video Ref?

That behaviour was the very definition of FUTILE I'm afraid...A completely self-indulgent porcine tantrum from Riddell. Full stop.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Bring Back the Spliff said:
What else could a 'pumped up player' do? How about...Just accepting the - 100% CORRECT - decision....And jusy Shutting TFU??

How about that? :p

Most other players seem to manage it in the overwhelming majority after all...Food for thought eh? And as we all well know - Piggy LOOOOOOVES his food! :)

what other players manage it?? when dont you see a player asking or in this case yelling questions at a ref??:roll:

gregstar

Referee
plenty of players query the ref but i can't think of many who carry on the way piggy did.

craig field, toovey, woolford, terry hill spring to mind.

Y2Eel

First Grade
gregstar said:
plenty of players query the ref but i can't think of many who carry on the way piggy did.

craig field, toovey, woolford, terry hill spring to mind.

he was pissed he thought it was a straight forward try like the crowd did he didnt know the ruling all the video ref had up there was no try penalty...

Bomber

Bench
Parramatta had multiple chances to put the Cowboys away in the first half, the Tim Smith 'forward pass' notwithstanding. The Eels defense in particular was outstanding and I was estastic with the 14-6 deficit, because Parra deserved to lead 20-nil.

The Eels lost their collective heads in the second half when Simpkins turned around and started caning Parramatta in the penalties (the reverse of the first half, where North Qld were punished for the most miniscule offenses - putting hands on a player's back constitutes a flop?). Yes, the Cowboys did receive some lucky breaks, although if you look at both incidents - the McKinnon play-the-ball to nobody and Riddell's no try - the Eels players were at fault.

Even more telling for Parramatta was the injury toll, which had a bigger effect than those two decisions. After going out to 14-nil, the Cowboys won the rest of the game by 26 to 4, a fair indication of how NQ dominated the play, and how Parramatta's ill-discipline (Stringer) blew their chances of winning the game.

gregstar

Referee
Y2Eel said:
he was pissed he thought it was a straight forward try like the crowd did he didnt know the ruling all the video ref had up there was no try penalty...
theref was trying to explain that 1) you cannot burrow through you own teammate to score 2) that teammate obstructed the marker & 3) markers are legal on the tryline.

piggy was simply yelling over the ref who was trying to explain it.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Bomber said:
Parramatta had multiple chances to put the Cowboys away in the first half, the Tim Smith 'forward pass' notwithstanding. The Eels defense in particular was outstanding and I was estastic with the 14-6 deficit, because Parra deserved to lead 20-nil.

The Eels lost their collective heads in the second half when Simpkins turned around and started caning Parramatta in the penalties (the reverse of the first half, where North Qld were punished for the most miniscule offenses - putting hands on a player's back constitutes a flop?). Yes, the Cowboys did receive some lucky breaks, although if you look at both incidents - the McKinnon play-the-ball to nobody and Riddell's no try - the Eels players were at fault.

Even more telling for Parramatta was the injury toll, which had a bigger effect than those two decisions. After going out to 14-nil, the Cowboys won the rest of the game by 26 to 4, a fair indication of how NQ dominated the play, and how Parramatta's ill-discipline (Stringer) blew their chances of winning the game.

I'd agree with most of that... the eels had plenty of chances but just couldnt convert them into points...

watched the footy show today gould thought parra should have got a penalty when Mckinnon played the ball and the Cowboys player jumped on it due to him not being sinfront of mcKinnon...

Y2Eel

First Grade
gregstar said:
theref was trying to explain that 1) you cannot burrow through you own teammate to score 2) that teammate obstructed the marker & 3) markers are legal on the tryline.

he started yelling before the ref said squat...
get over your piggy bashing...

PARRA_FAN

Coach
After that video ref decision, the Eels just lost it in the end, I know they werent gonna win after that, they were too fired up and give away dumb penalties, eg. Robinson and Stringer high tackles. It changed the game, also injuries didnt help. Guys like Stringer and Riddell played more game time than normal. They still managed to hang in there, which I was happy they were in defence, but in attack was different they were trying too much and couple of times looked tired.

Bomber

Bench
Y2Eel said:
watched the footy show today gould thought parra should have got a penalty when Mckinnon played the ball and the Cowboys player jumped on it due to him not being sinfront of mcKinnon...

Fair point, although I'd argue that once McKinnon played the ball, Jensen was entitled to move from the marker, since there was no dummy half.

Either way, the result is in the books.

I detect jealousy from Corbin's corner......

Misty Bee

First Grade
I recall the entire NQ team carrying on at the end of the 2004 preliminary final after a refere's call.

I also reckon blaming McKinnon is a sure sign of lunacy. Blame who should have been at Dummy Half. Marsh?

Ridells no try is the first time in my life I have seen a bloke with the ball run straight at 2 defenders who tackled him, and obstruction called! Fair dinkum, the bloke who obstructed Bowen most was his own player!!!!!

Game over. better side won. Congrats Cowboys - I reckon you'll win the comp as well, but certainly not the way Hurriflatch thinks. Good sides still win even if the referee is sh*t.

If we are whinging about losses after round 4, it's going to be a bloody long season. Hages, when are you arriving again.....?

gregstar

Referee
Y2Eel said:

before you crawl out the catflap in search of some credibility, please point out where i've been piggy bashing.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Bomber said:
Fair point, although I'd argue that once McKinnon played the ball, Jensen was entitled to move from the marker, since there was no dummy half.

Either way, the result is in the books.

I detect jealousy from Corbin's corner......

yeah it in the books as cowboys win looking forward to next weekend now...
thurston has been the best player this year...
goodluck against the tigers...

Bazal

Post Whore
gregstar said:

1) He went to the right and had no contact with McKinnon whatsoever, except to clip him with his shoulder
2)Bowen went to the left of the play the ball and then tried to get around McKinnon when he realised his mistake
3)There are no markers on the tryline, just a single defensive line

Pig blew up deluxe, true, but I would've too, it was a stupid decision, the ball was as good as down by the time Bowen realised his mistake and tried to correct it, he could not possibly have had any effect on the play. That said, I blame the inflexibility of the rules, the ref was right to call no try based on the current rules. It's not his fault the current rules are f**king stupid.

And whoever said Robbo deserved a send off is a f**king idiot, report and penalty at most. Simpkins overreacted majorly, niether side should have been down two men for what was a simple report-penalty-move on incident.

Bomber

Bench
Misty Bee said:
I recall the entire NQ team carrying on at the end of the 2004 preliminary final after a refere's call.

Actually, it was just David Myles and Paul Rauhihi going off at Simpkins. The rest of the team were already shaking hands with the Roosters.

The obvious difference is that Simpkins himself made the wrong decision in the 2004 preliminary final, whilst Riddell was reacting to Simpkins over a decision made by a video referee.

gregstar

Referee
Bazal said:
1) He went to the right and had no contact with McKinnon whatsoever, except to clip him with his shoulder
2)Bowen went to the left of the play the ball and then tried to get around McKinnon when he realised his mistake
3)There are no markers on the tryline, just a single defensive line

Pig blew up deluxe, true, but I would've too, it was a stupid decision, the ball was as good as down by the time Bowen realised his mistake and tried to correct it, he could not possibly have had any effect on the play. That said, I blame the inflexibility of the rules, the ref was right to call no try based on the current rules. It's not his fault the current rules are f**king stupid.
so you think that was a try do you?

Bazal

Post Whore
gregstar said:
so you think that was a try do you?

Going by the rules, no. Using common sense, yes. 1) How does Bowen ever get there in time after going the wrong way, and 2) How does he stop Riddell even if he does given that by that stage the ball would be about an inch above the turf? Fair try if logic could be applied to the ruling, unfortunately the rules don't allow it to be. As a fan I'm far more pissed over the Delaney try being disallowed to be honest.

Y2Eel said:

Don't think of it as Piggy Bashing....more like - Moron Mauling.

The video ref's decision was correct - by the letter of the lawbook - And Riddell was being just being stone cold stupid in his reaction in abusing Simpkins thereafter - whether that decision was right OR wrong...He deserved to be marched 10 for his 'passionate protests' and I have seen players binned for a lot less - just ask Beaver Menzies! So just what is your point in defending the situation as a whole here?? - I think you KNOW it was the right decision - but just cannot accept it. And I don't think you'd be here trying to convince anyone otherwise if you were called 'Y2Panther'...f'rinstance.

Bazal

Post Whore
Bring Back the Spliff said:
Don't think of it as Piggy Bashing....more like - Moron Mauling.

The video ref's decision was correct - by the letter of the lawbook - And Riddell was being just being stone cold stupid in his reaction in abusing Simpkins thereafter - whether that decision was right OR wrong...He deserved to be marched 10 for his 'passionate protests' and I have seen players binned for a lot less - just ask Beaver Menzies! So just what is your point in defending the situation as a whole here?? - I think you KNOW it was the right decision - but just cannot accept it. And I don't think you'd be here trying to convince anyone otherwise if you were called 'Y2Panther'...f'rinstance.

Yeah. Cos Piggy has access to the referees earpiece and heard every second of the converstion with Graeme West. He knew exactly why it was ruled no try despite being on the ground underneath two Cowboys players when the so-called infringement occurred. Yet he blew up anyway just because he damn well felt like it and, let's face it, he can damn well chuck a tanty should he damn well feel like it! :roll: Of course he's gonna blow up you precious little fairy, as far as HE KNOWS the ref has just cost his side the lead with a wrong call. This is NRL, not under 12 soccer, if you don't like players having some fire in the belly go watch the lawn bowls at the local RSL.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Could someone with a better knowledge than me enlighten me as to why it was a no try? I can accept it (frankly, the Delaney no try was worse), I'm just curious. Because from what I saw, nobody could have stopped Riddell from there...