What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Consolidation, reclamation and expansion with additional clubs in the NRL

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's happening. At the very least : it's weakening!

Based on what measurable kpi? Crowds? nope. TV? Nope. Revenue? Nope. Playing numbers? Nope.
Not sure where you are seeing this weakening, the facts suggest it isnt. You should have more belief in the sport you follow!

Stallion

First Grade
Based on what measurable kpi? Crowds? nope. TV? Nope. Revenue? Nope. Playing numbers? Nope.
Not sure where you are seeing this weakening, the facts suggest it isnt. You should have more belief in the sport you follow!

Lol. You first comment/assertion was wrong ! Crowds are down compared to previous times. Participation of is down in the main indicator :male participants. I welcome the females however using female figures dies not compare genuinely with times gone by. I've seen your crappy "everything is rosy " lines before. The code is in trouble!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Crowds are down? Compared to when?
The only time crowds have been higher was in late 2000's, though I keep getting told the figures were being fudged. Overall participation is up and many States have reversed the male participation dip according to last years annual report. Female participation is going through the roof. Who cares where the increase in interest is, its an increase non the less!

The code has never been richer or more popular, you sound like a News ltd journalist!

Stallion

First Grade
Crowds are down? Compared to when?
The only time crowds have been higher was in late 2000's, though I keep getting told the figures were being fudged. Overall participation is up and many States have reversed the male participation dip according to last years annual report. Female participation is going through the roof. Who cares where the increase in interest is, its an increase non the less!

The code has never been richer or more popular, you sound like a News ltd journalist!

What you have asserted is a complete misrepresentation. The player numbers are not up for male participants. In particular the crucial teenager years. For example on northern Sydney where a loss of a top flight club has occured is detrimentally affecting rugby league interest and therefore playing numbers. (compounding this a loss of the local AGrade comp this season! ) You don't see this. The administrators know of the decline and it coincides with the loss of a top flight club and the lost existing local rivalry of the Bears & arch local rival Manly Warringah. Meanwhile local northern Sydney rugby union is going gangbusters with crowds numbering around 10000 last Saturday afternoon compared to the now isolated Manly Warringah playing front of 7000 on a Friday night at Brookvale. You don't see the decline for this proud code and competition? Others do.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
What you have asserted is a complete misrepresentation. The player numbers are not up for male participants. In particular the crucial teenager years. For example on northern Sydney where a loss of a top flight club has occured is detrimentally affecting rugby league interest and therefore playing numbers. (compounding this a loss of the local AGrade comp this season! ) You don't see this. The administrators know of the decline and it coincides with the loss of a top flight club and the lost existing local rivalry of the Bears & arch local rival Manly Warringah. Meanwhile local northern Sydney rugby union is going gangbusters with crowds numbering around 10000 last Saturday afternoon compared to the now isolated Manly Warringah playing front of 7000 on a Friday night at Brookvale. You don't see the decline for this proud code and competition? Others do.

So one suburb of Sydney is down in participation (according to you, no source provided) yet the game is bigger all over Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific than it has ever been before.... I'll take that deal every day of the week and so would most sports.

Stallion

First Grade
So one suburb of Sydney is down in participation (according to you, no source provided) yet the game is bigger all over Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific than it has ever been before.... I'll take that deal every day of the week and so would most sports.

A fools' read of a poor scenario! Rugby league is a supreme sport nowhere near it's growth it entitled to. It's been well and truelly isolated, hidden in the world scene and is being challenged by other football codes within Australia. And you come up with a "positive spin"? You are clearly not aware of rugby league's lack of presence in the schools of Australia compa red to other codes. You are also unaware of the dramatic drop off in player numbers despite significant population increases within Australia over the past twenty years. But instead you blindly assert "everything's rosy". Things are not rosy for this code. And until the code recognises this the decline will continue. You trumpet figures that are relatively poor in the big scheme of things given population increases and the continuing growth of other football codes*(particularly at junior level). So as the house is slowly but surely smoldering underneath you , you continue to sit on the lounge with the feet up!

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
A fools' read of a poor scenario! Rugby league is a supreme sport nowhere near it's growth it entitled. It's been well and truelly isolated, hidden in the world scene and is being challenged by other football codes within Australia. And you come up with a "positive spin"? You are clearly not aware of rugby you league's lack of presence in the schools of Australia compa red to other codes. You are also unaware of the dramatic drop off in player numbers despite significant population increaseso within Australia over the past twenty years. But instead you blindly assert "everything's rosy". Things are not rosy for this code. And until the code recognises this the decline will continue. You trumpet figures that are relatively poor in the big scheme of things given population increases and the continuing growth of other football codes*(particularly at junior level). So as the house is slowly but surely smoldering underneath you , you continue to sit on the lounge with the feet up!

Yes I am aware that GPS schools favour RU over RL - that equates to about 0.4% of schools in the country. Hardly worth mentioning.

I'll take you on your word that participation has dropped in Northern Sydney (still no source provided). Who cares? The game is still bigger than Union and AFL in Sydney (and probably north Sydney) and has grown significantly in memberships, TV ratings, participation and revenue all around Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific. Like I said any sane sporting CEO would take that as a win every day.

Growth of other sports (and there are very few doing that these days) doesn't equal the decline of RL. Do you think the AFL are dying because there are a record number of clubs and participants in Victoria and WA? Do you think they are dying because Melbourne Storm rate on TV better than all AFL clubs in Melbourne other than Collingwood? Do you think the AFL are dying becuase RL posts are going up in parks increasing numbers in Melbourne and Perth suburbs?

Stallion

First Grade
Yes I am aware that GPS schools favour RU over RL - that equates to about 0.4% of schools in the country. Hardly worth mentioning.

I'll take you on your word that participation has dropped in Northern Sydney (still no source provided). Who cares? The game is still bigger than Union and AFL in Sydney (and probably north Sydney) and has grown significantly in memberships, TV ratings, participation and revenue all around Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific. Like I said any sane sporting CEO would take that as a win every day.

Growth of other sports (and there are very few doing that these days) doesn't equal the decline of RL. Do you think the AFL are dying because there are a record number of clubs and participants in Victoria and WA? Do you think they are dying because Melbourne Storm rate on TV better than all AFL clubs in Melbourne other than Collingwood? Do you think the AFL are dying becuase RL posts are going up in parks increasing numbers in Melbourne and Perth suburbs?

A fools response. Your assertions are nowhere near the level of growth other codes are achieving in "rugby league " states! Absolute bullshit! As the whiteanting of the most envied rugby competition on earth continues your false rosy view hides massive issues for this great code that is seriously under threat! Your ignorance and false appraisal & misplaced sense & understanding of "progress "can't see the issues for this more deserving code and competition. Others do! This code is being challenged in very subtle and sometimes blatant ways but you refuse to see this. Shame.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
A fools response. Your assertions are nowhere near the level of growth other codes are achieving in "rugby league " states! Absolute bullshit! As the whiteanting of the most envied rugby competition on earth continues your false rosy view hides massive issues for this great code that is seriously under threat! Your ignorance and false appraisal & misplaced sense & understanding of "progress "can't see the issues for this more deserving code and competition. Others do! This code is being challenged in very subtle and sometimes blatant ways but you refuse to see this. Shame.

There is only one code that is achieving growth in NSW other than RL and it is AFL and that is happening at a greater rate than we are growing in AFL states because they have invested more for longer - it is pretty simple really.

Why do you say codes? Who else are you talking about? RU and Soccer are going backwards and NSW is their heartland also. No code except RL is doing anything in QLD. Stop being so negative and stop exaggerating

Stallion

First Grade
There is only one code that is achieving growth in NSW other than RL and it is AFL and that is happening at a greater rate than we are growing in AFL states because they have invested more for longer - it is pretty simple really.

Why do you say codes? Who else are you talking about? RU and Soccer are going backwards and NSW is their heartland also. No code except RL is doing anything in QLD. Stop being so negative and stop exaggerating

You are so deluded. You do realise union playing ranks are on the increase , especially in the cities! Soccer participation numbers are massive! I'm not going to chase up figures! These governing bodies of these codes have backed these participant numbers on record. You are truelly an ignoramus !

Shark62

Juniors

Rugby league playing numbers in north Sydney have recovered after 2 clubs were reformed. Stallion has no idea what he is talking about.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Rugby league playing numbers in north Sydney have recovered after 2 clubs were reformed. Stallion has no idea what he is talking about.

Good to know. Anyone that thinks that RL is not on the up at the moment is a pesamist that will never be convinced otherwise or quite simply has an agenda against the game.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You are so deluded. You do realise union playing ranks are on the increase , especially in the cities! Soccer participation numbers are massive! I'm not going to chase up figures! These governing bodies of these codes have backed these participant numbers on record. You are truelly an ignoramus !

You never do because most of what you post isn't true.

I'll ask you a simple question again... If RL could swap positions with either RU or Soccer in Australia right now (memberships, attendances, TV ratings, structure, revenue, playing numbers, media attention... everything) would you swap?

If you answer that question honestly it tells you all you need to know about how well our game is going right now compared to the two you mention.

Stallion

First Grade
You never do because most of what you post isn't true.

I'll ask you a simple question again... If RL could swap positions with either RU or Soccer in Australia right now (memberships, attendances, TV ratings, structure, revenue, playing numbers, media attention... everything) would you swap?

If you answer that question honestly it tells you all you need to know about how well our game is going right now compared to the two you mention.

What an insult to the code of rugby league.It's way down on where it should be at: Australia wide and worldwide. If you seriously think rugby league is where it should be you are clearly deluded. It's going ok in Australia but definitely not the kingpin and juggernaut it was in 1995 ! And internationally should be bigger than Union just on the attractiveness of the code itself! But it isn't! Fools easily pleased or fools just being fools!

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
What an insult to the code of rugby league.It's way down on where it should be at: Australia wide and worldwide. If you seriously think rugby league is where it should be you are clearly deluded. It's going ok in Australia but definitely not the kingpin and juggernaut it was in 1995 ! And internationally should be bigger than Union just on the attractiveness of the code itself! But it isn't! Fools easily pleased or fools just being fools!

Would you swap places with RU and soccer in Australia?

Stallion

First Grade
Would you swap places with RU and soccer in Australia?

Continuing on with your negative theme! I would like the access to all levels of schooling given to union and the massive junior player numbers for soccer. My question to you is rugby league should be well above AFL. Reckless and poor strategic planning and decisions have clearly limited rugby league's growth in Australia and internationally. I prefer rugby league to be the number one rugby code worldwide to an extent it's the alternative to soccer . That's my wish and hope. Clearly not yours with your underwhelming aims and boasts.

Last edited:

Latest posts