1. Out Now:

Here it is - the latest edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine with a full wrap on last weekend's NRL and Super League along with the match programme for the coming round!

This week Paul Jobber looks at the sacrifices made by the NZ Warriors as they prepare to head home after many long months keeping the NRL afloat by relocating to Australia, while Rob Crosby looks at the departing and retiring class of 2020 as many players make their exits. Rick's weekly finals column peaks with rankings of the top eight forward packs headed into the pointy end of the season.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - a full NRL Round 20, Super League Round 13 and Netherlands-Germany programme - and you have one fantastic 50-page magazine for your weekend's reading!

EDITION 18 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Corona Virus and NRL Games

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by mickeylane, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

Unfortunately Italy suffers from very unstable short term governments.
    Hard to perfect absolutely critical infrastructure when the levers of government are so readily put in the hands of minority parties and hastily formed coalitions.
    Large self contained and ageing population who are now at risk due largely to globalisation and easy access from other countries.
    For many of the elderly Italians their remoteness which was long seen as an asset to their living long, fruitful and fulfilling lives is now their Achilles heel.
    Very sad days for people rendered vulnerable through no fault of their own.

2. TruSaint

TruSaint Coach

1.8 billion in TV rights deal, and the NRL is now playing hard ball for a govt. bailout.

HQ has a lot to answer for, however I hope there is some assistance to back office staff at clubs, supply chains, caterers, security services etc.

Coffs dragon, 18to87 and Crush like this.
  3. cussy

cussy Juniors

I guess mate when faced with the situation of a 30 year old with a family to an 80 year old that has lived a good life a decision based on this need to be made unfortunately. No different to war type situation.

blue bags likes this.
  4. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

I’m assuming this irritant is me?

Something can run at over 100% capacity. It means that the resources require to operate whatever the item is will be stretched, and without making some kind of change that over capacity will cause it to break.

I recommend testing this theory by taking your car for a drive, leaving it in first gear and just accelerate as fast as you can without changing gears.

5. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG First Grade

Hello precious, how I’ve missed your input.

Sorry, cannot drive due to a disability. Got any other brilliant ideas?

6. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG First Grade

Apologies for providing perspective from a regular patient’s POV.

7. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG First Grade

As mentioned earlier, my extensive medical records at the POWH indicate I “understand” perfectly.

Speaking of comprehension, are you not aware that these worst case scenarios have been predicted many times over in the past 15 years. The word “could” sums up uncertainty here perfectly.

BTW, more people died from influenza last year alone, Where was the concern?

8. blue bags

blue bags Bench

the big medical issues worldwide , is growing human resistant to antibiotics and the growing STD problem , superbugs are getting stronger

9. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

In fairness the ED departments are already put under stress from people with even minor issues that could be best handled by GP’s but because it is the government footing the bill many people are using it frivolously so any increase in numbers presenting causes issues.
    Our propensity to uphold the Hippocratic oath to the highest level in all areas of society means that the system will get placed under pressure as the public system is not designed around things such as pandemics
    The waiting list for essential surgery in the public system is a tell tale sign of where availability is at.

10. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

All hail Charles Darwin he led us to the water but not everyone bothered to drink from his fountain of knowledge.
    Nature is very patient and calculating in dealing with irritants such as humans.

11. Willow

Willow Administrator

Why the aggro? Cheer up, it's not the end of the world.

I checked out the Datapack link you provided earlier. Nice layout and very very easy to follow. I can see why you and your friends on facebook like it.

But there were two things that I picked up on:

1, The two opening graphs at the top of the page show the recovery rate is high. This is what you have based your whole argument on. But this information is common knowledge. Most people know the recovery rate is high. What I found amusing is that you and your friends on facebook are treating it like a discovery. It's like you are in some way privy to this astonishing data and must educate people less intelligent than yourselves. There's a certain irony there.

2. If you scroll down the page, there are more graphs. Perhaps the most important one is the curve:

Fast, intelligent action slows pandemic effects, stops the overwhelm of healthcare systems

No protective measures = high fatality rate.
    Yes protective measures in place = low fatality rate.

Protective measures include:
    Government: Fast widespread testing | Limit large gatherings | Track infectees

Personal hygiene is also a big part of these protective measures.

You see, recovery rates are high due in no small part to these protective measures. Hospitals being able to cope with it will also be due to the same protective measures. Again, this is all from the link you provided to show your 'superior knowledge' on this issue.

IMO, you and your friends on facebook didn't want to analyse it that much. Your message is she'll be right and do nothing. This is typical of an echo chamber environment that rarely reads past the headline.

The fact that you continue to place the toilet paper morons in the same basket as anyone who is cautious speaks volumes. Moreover, you seem to think that name calling, putting down others and yelling is a rational way to deal with this.

When it comes to carrying on as 'normal', you'd be the last person I'd call.

SBD82, cussy, ALSGI and 3 others like this.
  12. TruSaint

TruSaint Coach

Flu v Covid19. In simple terms.

Associate Dean, Stanford Medical School.. Dr Steven Goodman.

"The difference with this virus is two: First of all, no one is immune. So in theory, 100% of the population is susceptible to this virus," says Stanford epidemiologist Dr. Steven Goodman. "The second part is the fatality rate. Either for people who present to the medical care system sick enough to go to a doctor, or per infection, [the fatality rate] looks to be a fair bit higher than the flu, maybe on the order of five times — maybe even 10 times — higher."

cussy likes this.
  13. Gareth67

Gareth67 First Grade

Watched ‘ The Footy Show ‘ earlier today when Freddy the Fiddler mentioned life was continuing on as normal in Townsville . “ Although some people said that they were greatly concerned about the pandemic , otherness were saying that they were not - so I am slightly confused “.

Freddy boy don’t be confused , look at the worst case scenario and take it from there , at the very least you know that you have taken all precautions , you can do no more there that .

14. Willow

Willow Administrator

I think this is the link and source for that?

ALSGI and TruSaint like this.
  15. TruSaint

TruSaint Coach

Thank you mate.
    Yes it is.

16. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG First Grade

You can’t please everyone, I suppose.

Hopefully the log in your own eye falls out of its own.

17. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG First Grade

Tell me about it.

18. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG First Grade

The mortality rate for Corona virus stands about 3.5%. It’d be interesting to compare this to other virus related conditions.

19. TruSaint

TruSaint Coach

The point is, as the Dr suggested, covid can "potentially" spread to a massive percentage of the world's population, which then makes your rate of 3.5% very significant.

cussy likes this.
  20. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG First Grade

Oh, the “if” and “could” scenario.

Got it.