What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Frailty

First Grade
For many, this is a case of you don't know what you've got until you lose it. Some people don't attend games for various reasons, preferring to watch it on TV. But imagine if this is over sooner rather than later. Let say, mid-June. If that happens, we'll see some sellout crowds.

Most of us are aware the worst case scenarios, but it doesn't hurt to be a little optimistic. And this optimism is not totally without foundation.

There has been a big drop in coronavirus infections in China [Source]. In the USA, the NBA are saying mid-June restart to their comp as best case scenario [Source].

So they are looking at essentially a 3-4 month stoppage - at best. The NBA final finished in game 6 in mid-June 2019.

The NHL today has told players they can leave their team's home city to return home. They will not be back anytime soon.

But Rugby League won't miss a game apparently.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So they are looking at essentially a 3-4 month stoppage - at best. The NBA final finished in game 6 in mid-June 2019.

The NHL today has told players they can leave their team's home city to return home. They will not be back anytime soon.

But Rugby League won't miss a game apparently.

all the uk sports have been suspended for at least 3 weeks. It seems inevitable same will happen here.

franklin2323

Immortal
For many, this is a case of you don't know what you've got until you lose it. Some people don't attend games for various reasons, preferring to watch it on TV. But imagine if this is over sooner rather than later. Let say, mid-June. If that happens, we'll see some sellout crowds.

Most of us are aware the worst case scenarios, but it doesn't hurt to be a little optimistic. And this optimism is not totally without foundation.

There has been a big drop in coronavirus infections in China [Source]. In the USA, the NBA are saying mid-June restart to their comp as best case scenario [Source].

The benefit of playing games in Oct/Nov is much better weather.

No doubt the comp will stop at some stage but there are plenty of staduims available to make those games up later

Springs09

Juniors
Has anyone heard what NSWRL/QRL etc are doing?

Rugby Union has shutdown games and training nationwide until May. Several Sydney junior RL clubs have stopped training. I've seen some facebook posts from country RL groups cancelling training and trials in preparation for an imminent announcement from NSWRL, but no announcement yet.

Wow really? The big pandemic experts on here seem to think being optimistic is for fools and if you don't think we'll be locked down with everything shut until August you're an idiot.

I can see things like sports and public meeting places like pubs and restaurants being closed until sometime in May then reassessed, and opening back up again if the new cases curve starts flattening or going down like in South Korea. As of yesterday we were still without a confirmed case in the Riverina/MIA. For my town footy training may be off for a bit, the pub might shut and traffic flow might slow down for a while but everything else will go as normal.

Frailty

First Grade
The benefit of playing games in Oct/Nov is much better weather.

No doubt the comp will stop at some stage but there are plenty of staduims available to make those games up later

If the stoppage is comparable to 3-4 months expected for NHL and NBA, there will be no capacity to 'make up the games later'. Otherwise you would be playing games to March 2021 - AND expecting teams to be playing in the summer.

Spot On

Coach
*****Partners in the Game*****

... and be careful what you wish for hey!

RLPA got what they wanted with ridiculous salary increases and conditions.

They wanted a percentage of whole og game revenue and to be partners in the game.

That would mean through good times ... AND bad.

I'm sure they'll be as passionate now, when they need the game, as they were when they argued the game needed them.

Frailty

First Grade
Wow really? The big pandemic experts on here seem to think being optimistic is for fools and if you don't think we'll be locked down with everything shut until August you're an idiot.

The best-case scenario, according to the Deputy Chief Health Officer in Australia, is for 20% of the population to contract COVID-19. At current mortality rates, that would mean 50,000 deaths.

_Johnsy

Referee
Cam & Melbourne are so concerned about the impact of COVID-19 they chose to fly home to Melbourne after the game on a commercial airline.

_Johnsy

Referee
The best-case scenario, according to the Deputy Chief Health Officer in Australia, is for 20% of the population to contract COVID-19. At current mortality rates, that would mean 50,000 deaths.

The fed govt modelling shows a worst case scenario of 150k+ deaths.

Scumo want's everyone to stay a minimum of 1.5m away, a classroom of say 25 kids, riiight.

Yet we don't close schools, Is it selective listening to expert opinions?

The map on this page is very telling, look at the nations that governments have not elected to close schools. It's very telling.
https://en.unesco.org/themes/education-emergencies/coronavirus-school-closures

Frailty

First Grade
The fed govt modelling shows a worst case scenario of 150k+ deaths.

Scumo want's everyone to stay a minimum of 1.5m away, a classroom of say 25 kids, riiight.

Yet we don't close schools, Is it selective listening to expert opinions?

The map on this page is very telling, look at the nations that governments have not elected to close schools. It's very telling.
https://en.unesco.org/themes/education-emergencies/coronavirus-school-closures

The PM has said he acting on the medical advice he has received, and the Victorian Chief Health Officer, Brett Sutton, has advised against school closures - but I'm unsure what the evidence for this is. I'd love to see the justification. Most evidence for school closures show it is successful in delaying the peak of outbreak, whilst arguments against are purely economically based (i.e. people not attending work to care for children). I'm yet to find any evidence that closing schools is the health risk.

Springs09

Juniors

Well I'm optimistic that the mortality rate in Australia will drop, considering that 3 deaths were early and to the very elderly, we've put good precautionary measures in place, many countries have a death rate of under 0.5% and the spread of the disease has been slower here than in countries where it's been catastrophic like Italy.

franklin2323

Immortal
If the stoppage is comparable to 3-4 months expected for NHL and NBA, there will be no capacity to 'make up the games later'. Otherwise you would be playing games to March 2021 - AND expecting teams to be playing in the summer.

8 weeks is what those comps are looking at. That is probably worst case given the nature of the sports

franklin2323

Immortal
Has anyone heard what NSWRL/QRL etc are doing?

Rugby Union has shutdown games and training nationwide until May. Several Sydney junior RL clubs have stopped training. I've seen some facebook posts from country RL groups cancelling training and trials in preparation for an imminent announcement from NSWRL, but no announcement yet.

I can see things like sports and public meeting places like pubs and restaurants being closed until sometime in May then reassessed, and opening back up again if the new cases curve starts flattening or going down like in South Korea. As of yesterday we were still without a confirmed case in the Riverina/MIA. For my town footy training may be off for a bit, the pub might shut and traffic flow might slow down for a while but everything else will go as normal.

4 weeks of reduced capacity like now. Easing back to what we had before hopefully with monitoring of international visitors. I don’t think saying 8 weeks to back to concerts, sport with crowds is too dreaming

Valheru

Coach
The NRL are really starting to look a bit silly now. Every other sporting competition (with the exception of the AFL who have at least made changes) has shut down from the grass roots up.

How hard up can they be for the income?

My local squash comp has been suspended and I can assure you all the courts desperately need the weekly revenue as do the state and national squash governing bodies.