What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Costello to give $9.6m for Toyota Park

newman

First Grade
They better not TOUCH that scoreboard. I love that scoreboard.

For those who dont know, it was moved from Sutherland Oval our original home ground, in 1969 and has counted points for every sharks home game ever. A true icon of the game. Sure put an electronic one at the other end, but leave the old battler.

Aries

Bench
newman said:

For those who dont know, it was moved from Sutherland Oval our original home ground, in 1969 and has counted points for every sharks home game ever. A true icon of the game. Sure put an electronic one at the other end, but leave the old battler.

Some heritage mob will prolly jump on it, and save it, newman!!

dreary

Juniors
newman said:

Hear Hear :clap:

mr_sharks

Juniors
Bundy said:
It has plagued me how we can have a huge player in the elctrical and audio visual industry as our major sponsor (LG have made it into the top 100 brands in the world) and we have the worst scoreboard in the competition. Atleast I thought we did until I took a trip out to Campbeltown with the CSSC last week only to find that we could not see even an portion of the display from their red LED scoreboard... nothing. It was then I realised that our scoreboard, out dated as it may be, would have been a much better visual aid.

That said, if the scoreboard is to be upgraded, I beg of those making the final decision to ensure that it will be an 'upgrade' and nothing like the abismal display with the pretty red lights that only half the crowd could read at Campbeltown on Sunday.

I'm with you on that Bundy. Keep the old one but bring in a new one. Didn't SLE hint at the fact we mightn't have LG as a major sponsor for next season???
If the club wants to move forward get EVERYTHING up to scratch. It starts at the board and flows down. Facilities are important too. Maybe the club could get a resort type thing going there - a gym, aquatics centre, tennis courts etc. Families could go there for an afternoon of fun before the football.

Bundy

Juniors
Further to my previous comments re the scoreboard. Let me apolgise for any ignorance on my part, I was unaware of the history of the scoreboard.
It is clearly a part of history and should be retained in some form (with a secondary scoreboard at some stage), atleast until it has the honour of posting the score of a Premiership winning Sharks team. By then it will have earnt it.
Allow me to pipe dream for a second - The Sharks are in the GF. The Club opens the field at Toyota park for the fans who missed out on tickets to the big game. Families, friends, young and old fill the field and the stands to watch the game on the big screen in a carnival like atmosphere while the old scoreboard posts the winning points to the mighty Sharks first ever Premiership..............:roll:

League club scores $10m funding

April 21, 2006

THE Cronulla Sharks rugby league club has scooped $9.6 million from the Federal Government to upgrade its stadium and facilities in southern Sydney.

Treasurer Peter Costello, who is the Sharks number two supporter, made the funding announcement today as he visited the club's ground, Toyota Park, at Taren Point.

Mr Costello chatted with members of the Sharks while touring the ground ahead of a meeting with club officials.

He said the money would be used to upgrade the club's facilities and improve disability access. Function rooms, extra parking facilities and new ticketing booths are all part of the upgrade plans for the club's stadium.

"In order for the stadium to be complying with disability requirements and building controls it needs a huge upgrade," Mr Costello said.

http://finance.news.com.au/story/0,10166,18880190-31037,00.html

Fuddy

Juniors
It is great news - and deserved - and some return from our no 2 ticket holder. Maybe he'll come to a game now.

It's all about trying for a change in the State elections - that is the reason behind it and we're in the right position at the right time.

Zack DLR

Juniors
Man that is great news....

I hope Barrys board spends it well, because we aint gonna get it again.

Honestly, this should be the money that builds us a heavyweight club with some good facilities

Gee I hope so.

Aries

Bench
I bet The Drag Queens board is spewing :D

They'll be knocking on Johnnies' door soon, with THEIR hands out, no doubt...

EDIT: Just on the news up here in Newcastle... I missed who it was, but they were spewing about the fact that Johnnie didn't come through with a promise to match the State government $ for $ on funding for EAS, describing it as... "a real slap in the face for voting Labor" or words to that effect.

That'll teach em... LOL!

beekershark

Bench
It's superb news and due credit must be given to Barry Pierce for lobbying for this grant. The most important side of this is that it basically should silence any people who were worried about the Sharkies relocating to the central coast, adelaide , or anywhere else.

That makes me happy, knowing that our clubs plans for the future are obviously right at home at shark park. Super stuff.

Quigs

Immortal
beekershark said:
It's superb news and due credit must be given to Barry Pierce for lobbying for this grant. The most important side of this is that it basically should silence any people who were worried about the Sharkies relocating to the central coast, adelaide , or anywhere else.

That makes me happy, knowing that our clubs plans for the future are obviously right at home at shark park. Super stuff.

0-top5.jpg

What arn't we moving...????

Seriously great news for our shires league history.... just hope we can get a bit more serious on the other side of things.... become respected again in the NRL

Mr Sharkie

Juniors
Is this why Costello was so keen to get the country out of debt?
So he could give us money?
Sounds like a sound financial goal to me!

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
!fullback! said:
thanks pete costello for the 9 mil. i will be voting for labour next election

cheers

I thought most sharks supporters were decent right wing shire residents.
Seems I was wrong.

Aries

Bench
blacktip-reefy said:
I thought most sharks supporters were decent right wing shire residents.
Seems I was wrong.

He might live in Newcastle, reefy...

They are still jumping up and down on the news up here, with former MP Joel Fitzbigon going on about the Grants to... the Stain, Penrith, the Western Bulldogs(AFL) and now us, and described it as a "Slap in the face to all hunter residents, that have continually voted labour"...