What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Costigan GOOOOOORRRNE!!!

LeagueNut

First Grade
Sky gives Jason Costigan the flick pass

SKY TV will punt league caller Jason Costigan this week and replace him as their live caller for Warriors and Kiwis games with anchorman Stephen McIvor, the Sunday Star-Times can reveal.

The reshuffle is likely to be formalised this week, and it's understood Costigan hasn't been told yet by Sky bosses that he's no longer wanted.

A plan to use Costigan to call away Warriors games in Australia has been shelved, apparently on cost grounds, and he may have no role at all on the network next year.

McIvor, who fronts the league coverage and calls the Toyota Cup under-20 games, will step up to lead commentator. He will be replaced on Toyota Cup coverage by veteran broadcaster Dale Husband, while the rest of the team – former Kiwis internationals Awen Guttenbeil, Daryl Halligan, Logan Swann and Richie Barnett – will remain unchanged.

The colourful Costigan has been flown over from his native Australia to call all Sky games since he replaced another Australian, Graeme Hughes, behind the mic. An always jovial and deeply-knowledgeable league enthusiast, his inimitable commentary style has brought both fans and detractors.

He began calling league in 1997 for regional television in Queensland and has written for League Week, and worked in PR for the Bulldogs and Bradford Bulls clubs, the Central Queensland NRL franchise bid and state government.

The well-regarded McIvor began his career in radio but joined Sky when the network was first launched back in 1990 and has worked across a range of sports, but primarily in league, mostly recently as frontman of magazine show 40/20.

Both McIvor and Sky's league producer, Dean Pooley, declined to comment. Costigan could not be reached last night.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/4449654/Sky-gives-Jason-Costigan-the-flick-pass

Is it wrong to feel so happy about this news?? \\\\:D/:clap::crazy::nwave::-({|=

ozbash

Referee
McIvor, who fronts the league coverage and calls the Toyota Cup under-20 games, will step up to lead commentator.

out of the frying pan, into the fire....

I may turn deaf, permantly.

Rich102

Staff member
I had noticed on some of the SKY games that it had a banner on the screen to the effect that an alternative commentary was available.
Does anyone know any more about this?

Martli

Coach
I had noticed on some of the SKY games that it had a banner on the screen to the effect that an alternative commentary was available.
Does anyone know any more about this?

If it's a channel 9 game then we can usually get the Channel 9 commentary team as well.

Good news though, McIvor is a much better choice.

One Warrior

Bench
Result, the end of "stacks on the mill", 'nearly time for oranges', 'that's fish and chip paper' and a host of other bizarre cliches and comments.

Micistm

Bench
Although his commentary was awful, tbh I do feel a little for him...but it has been a long long time coming, the screaming at sky to ditch 'em. Took them long enough to listen.
There goes the Costo drinking game though!

Izz

Bench
Good news though, McIvor is a much better choice.
Are you sure?

Would've been much better, imo, to give Husband the spot and leave McIvor doing the under-twenties. But, of course, they couldn't do that. McIvor would've gotten his panties in a right twist.

Martli

Coach
Are you sure?

Would've been much better, imo, to give Husband the spot and leave McIvor doing the under-twenties. But, of course, they couldn't do that. McIvor would've gotten his panties in a right twist.

I know there are probably better options out there, but I am a realist and I understand that sky aren't always going to pick the best option. It's certainly an improvement I feel.

Izz

Bench
I know there are probably better options out there, but I am a realist and I understand that sky aren't always going to pick the best option. It's certainly an improvement I feel.
Yeah, you're right. Maybe Husband will get the big gig in a couple seasons time.

SilentOne

Juniors
What about that blubbering idiot Halligan? How can he get a life line? I'd rate him just as bad as Costigan if not worse.

Iafeta

Referee
Agreed with SilentOne. Halligan is also a joke.

Good news though that Costigan has gone. The only benefit he gave was that now I basically know every town on the eastern seaboard of Australia that has an RSL. Good to know if I'm ever driving and need to pull in for a beer.

shiznit

Coach
Hopefully my Sky Sub's go down now that they dont have to pay for hotel rooms and fly that idiot in and out of the country for every warriors home game.

ozbash

Referee
What's wrong with McIvor?

he's a dweeby little tryhard who is worse than the great man, Costo.

costigan115x75RESIZE.jpg

Micistm

Bench
he's a dweeby little tryhard who is worse than the great man, Costo.

costigan115x75RESIZE.jpg

Lol, we'll ask Manu next time he's on 40/20 via text question! Don't think Manu hid his dislike for the guy overly well! Costo was rather vicious to him during a rough time in his career, and really at times I found it difficult to pick he was a commentator for a kiwi audience, his fascination for info and snippets on opposition players was so great. There were other times you'd almost swear he preferred the aussie side to the Warriors.Maybe it was an attempt to look impartial...but it did grate on a good chunk of audience here, who let's be honest, are biased to the Warriors and prefer the comments weighted that way.

Latest posts