What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Costigan GOOOOOORRRNE!!!

Evil_Mush

Juniors
It took me to be watching old games on DVD to realise how bad, with his looped commentary reminding you of a sports videogame audio loop, with every cliche thrown in, and 'Costo-isms.'
Good luck to him, I hope he finds a nice little earner somewhere...but I am looking forward to a Costo-less season in '11:)

Yeah, every time they show those "greatest try" compilations between shows on Sky Sports, the passionate tones of Graeme Hughes highlight what a real commentator should sound like. His SEN-SATIONAL!!! is spine tingling.

Having said that, there was something about the Costo cliches that were just hilarious. Speaking of which, when's the last time Halligan said "Johnny On The Spot"? I'm sure I haven't heard him utter that for ages, he used to bring it out at least twice a game (sometimes even before the kickoff).

Good luck to Costo anyway, when I met him after the 4 Nations opener in Wellington he was a funny bastard, so I can't hate the guy.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
As I have said before, I don't mind his commentary it makes a change from the Ch9 and Fox crews.

Loved "nearly at oranges"

Micistm

Bench
It did make for a rockin drinking game. You could play it either way:
-Each player takes a specfic 'Costo-ism', when yours comes up, it's time to drink.
-Various sips n sculls for all players for various Costo-isms.
...Get out of my way he says...stanza...stacks on the mill...oranges...under the horns...fish n chip paper...downtown...
And so on.
Special sipping required for when he goes into one of those spiels about the family tree history of an Aussie player on an opposing side to the Warriors.

After that, it didn't bother you if the Warriors were getting Rogered, 'cos you were trashed ;-)

JAG

Juniors
So, Costo's 'lost the handle', eh? Shame.

I didn't actually think he was that bad. Probably because I didn't actually have to listen to him that much as I was at the games. He amused me though

LeagueNut

First Grade
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/4597707/Jason-Costigan-hits-out-after-SKY-axing

Jason Costigan hits out after SKY axing

Dumped SKY rugby league caller Jason Costigan has broken his silence after finally being told officially of his sacking – seven weeks after it was revealed by the Sunday Star-Times.

The Star-Times broke the news on December 12 that after a decade commentating on Warriors and Kiwis matches for Sky Sport, Costigan would be replaced by Stephen McIvor.

But Costigan wasn't formally told the news until he took a call from Sky's executive producer for league, Tui McKendrick, last Tuesday.

And while he knew his "professional death warrant" was coming, Costigan was still shocked and hurt by the news.

He refused to offer details of his conversation with McKendrick, whom he doesn't blame for the confusion, but said Sky's handling of the decision had been "very poor".

"It's bad enough to get flicked – but to have it reported in the press a couple of weeks prior to Christmas before being personally advised is extremely disappointing," Costigan told the Star-Times from the Central Queensland hamlet of Taroom where he was hosting a fundraiser for flood victims. "I actually only found out officially last Tuesday – just six weeks before the season starts.

"I don't want to tip the bucket on anyone because I love the people I worked with, and I think they know that ... but it's like being a kid and having all your toys taken away from you. I am terribly disappointed with the way it's panned out, and that's an understatement."

Costigan said he had turned down a "pretty wonderful opportunity, career-wise" at the end of last season because he wanted to continue commentating.

"I still have every intention of calling football this year, whether people like it or not, but I am not at liberty to say where," Costigan said. "I am not oblivious to the fact that I am not everyone's cup of tea, but I have my own individual way of calling it, and I call it the way I see it. I did my best to please my audiences both locally and abroad, remembering they could be watching in Manurewa, Maitland or Muttaburra. Sadly, those days are gone."

Costigan began his broadcast career in northern Queensland in the late 1980s, and has also worked in print, radio, media management for the Bulldogs and Bradford Bulls, as a federal government advisor and leading the Central Queensland NRL bid proposal.

McKendrick didn't return calls for comment.
Sounds like Sky handled it pretty badly. I think they made the right decision but Costo didn't deserve to have this hanging over him for so long. Poor form Sky. :thumbd:

Jesbass

First Grade
Thank goodness he's gone. Biased arse!

I'm not happy that he's gone - nor would I be hearing of anyone else losing their job.

Actually liked the job he did. I agree that he was probably biased, but not as much as some suggest. He was another Graham Lowe, although probably not as extreme. Hopefully McIvor is less of a cheerleader.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'm not happy that he's gone - nor would I be hearing of anyone else losing their job.

actually liked the job he did. I agree that he was probably biased, but not as much as some suggest. He was another Graham Lowe, although probably not as extreme. Hopefully McIvor is less of a cheerleader.

Not much chance Bass. You read his blog on One Tribe? It's ghastly.

Geez, even Costo's quotes annoy me in that story. He called it the way he saw it - that just before oranges the men from Penrose got the Steeden and dotted down next to the horns.

I always thought Costo would make a good replacement Wiggle, if the green one ever retired.

Jesbass

First Grade
Not much chance Bass. You read his blog on One Tribe? It's ghastly.

Geez, even Costo's quotes annoy me in that story. He called it the way he saw it - that just before oranges the men from Penrose got the Steeden and dotted down next to the horns.

I always thought Costo would make a good replacement Wiggle, if the green one ever retired.

Good point about the blog. So he'll likely be even more pro-Warriors than Costigan was. Yikes. (Although, as I mentioned earlier, I don't think Costigan was quite as biased as some claim. I think he just called it the way he saw it.)

How do you reckon his bias will compare with Graham Lowe back in the seeeeeeeensational days of Graeme Hughes?

And yes, the reference to Muttaburra definitely got a bit of a chuckle out of me! :D

ozbash

Referee
Hopefully McIvor is less of a cheerleader.

lol, got news for you mate, and its all baaaaaaad !

that bloody skank luvina is another mcgivor clone/moll. I hate her and will not hesitate in telling her when she goes around to interview Ives...

Sky sux DB's

Last edited:

Jesbass

First Grade
lol, got news for you mate, and its all baaaaaaad !

that bloody skank luvina is another mcgivor clone/moll. I hate her and will not hesitate in telling her when she goes around to interview Ives...

Sky sux DB's

I must confess, I've heard of her but have no idea who she is...?

Skinner

Coach
SKY are a shambolic shower of shyte......actually very unprofessional shower of shyte. They are run on an absolute shoe string and a very quick look at their organisation will reinforce this.

I was not 100% a Costo fan as a commentator, but I was fortunate enough to spend a fair piece of a season sitting next to him when he called NSWRL games. He is one of the nicest and most witty people I have ever met. Of course, this does not necessarily make him an ideal commentator, but I believe he deserves better than he got......and those critical of his cliches - listen to any sports commentator for long enough, and you will hear hear the same calls. Richie Benaud anyone ??...only THE best ever cricket caller..

By the way, if you want to know why McIvor has so much clout at SKY, just read John Dybvig's book, Microphones Up My Nose, it tells it like it is.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Costo in the same sentence as Benaud? We may as well put mother Terrasa and Hitler into the same category.
Costo's failing was he let his anti Warrior and anti Kiwis in particular bias come through on his call.
Also, personally i sick to death of hearing about Joe Bloggs from the Bludaroo blowjobs or Nevil Nobody from bush footy playing for the Nugganugga Nose Bleeders and how his old man was once played 15 matches for Nose Bleeders in one day with stubbed toe back in 1961.