What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could 2023 be our best chance?

A few second coaches that lifted teams last year (Cows, Sharks) not going as well this year. Hopes we don't suffer 2nd year syndrome.

Consistency is needed for sure.
We have lacked it in a few games this year. Should have beaten a Broncos team being away and down players.

Attack is about execution and threats (x factors).
Execution is about fitness, practice and consistency in positions.
Threats create the doubt in the defence and makes them make the wrong call (guessing).
We didn't seem to have a lot of threats until the last 2 weeks.
CNK is a threat, DWZ, Pompey, Montoya, Ali, Berry, Kosi are not threats to defensive lines and won't pull them apart.
DWZ is a potential threat in the air and potentially in open field.
SJ is a threat. Not sold on any of the others that have played 6 as being threats.

Campion

Juniors
Consistency is needed for sure.
We have lacked it in a few games this year. Should have beaten a Broncos team being away and down players.

Attack is about execution and threats (x factors).
Execution is about fitness, practice and consistency in positions.
Threats create the doubt in the defence and makes them make the wrong call (guessing).
We didn't seem to have a lot of threats until the last 2 weeks.
CNK is a threat, DWZ, Pompey, Montoya, Ali, Berry, Kosi are not threats to defensive lines and won't pull them apart.
SJ is a threat. Not sold on any of the others that have played 6 as being threats.
I reckon once we have RTS in the centres and that will constitute a threat.

Meth

Staff member
I think we can beat any of those teams on our day. But to win the comp, you have to win against those teams consistently

sup42

Juniors
The not beating a top side this year is a bit of a misnomer.

We were forced to play the big three in eleven days.

And none of them could thrash our injury depleted banged up no rest B sides.

Lets see how they go against a fully fit Warriors post Reffgate, without the disgraceful NRL draw after thought that saw us given the worst scheduling I have seen in forty plus years of watching the game.

Lets see how the Storm or Panthers shape up when we have two halves fit for a match after actually playing more than three or four games together.

Lets see how they go against our high energy bench tactic in a normal game, with even officiating, with our preferred spine having worked out how each other plays.

Last edited:

GoSouths

Juniors
The key is not to have 50 points scored against you. Auto elimination from premiership title hopes. Dogs, Cows, Sharks, Raiders and Dolphins already gone for this year.

Blair

Coach
We could bomb out and finish 10th or so. Or we could make the grand final, so that's exciting.

However, and I'm serious, I don't really want to make the grand final just to lose to Penrith. I'd go and I'd hate it. It'd be a long train journey home to the Blue Mountains, right through Panthers territory.

I didn't hate it last time against Manly, and I knew for sure there'd be no Manly fans on that same train.

sup42

Juniors
misnomer?
Corrected, thanks.

Lots of chatter about RTS early release rumors.

August is the leading guess.

That will help our campaign if it happens. Having a player like that as an option come finals is a good thing.

Blair

Coach
Lots of chatter about RTS early release rumors.

August is the leading guess.

That will help our campaign if it happens. Having a player like that as an option come finals is a good thing.
If he's not going to the World Cup then he may as well leave union after this Super Rugby season. He was an All Black, no one takes that away from him, he may win a Super title, that's cool too.

Now tell him to get back to this exciting Warriors outfit! He deserves to be there.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Love the optimism, but let’s be honest- we aren’t a top tier team in 2023

tbh we weren't really a top tier team in 2011 either, and we made the GF and imo were more competitive than the score suggested. Random shit can happen as long as you have a decent squad firing at the right time.

Matua

Bench
If he's not going to the World Cup then he may as well leave union after this Super Rugby season. He was an All Black, no one takes that away from him, he may win a Super title, that's cool too.

Now tell him to get back to this exciting Warriors outfit! He deserves to be there.
Yeah, hopefully they can arrange a release at the conclusion of Super Rugby. No point keeping him in rugby, unless he wants to try win the Ranfurly Shield and NPC.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
DWZ, Pompey, Montoya, Ali, Berry, Kosi are not threats to defensive lines and won't pull them apart.
DWZ and Montoya are threats if they’re playing outside centres who set them up well. Both are competent finishers, in DWZs case more than competent.
Our backline issue has partly just been a lack of stable centre combos, Pompey has been a constant but has generally been a bit of a plodder, though he’s been creating more recently.
On the other side we’ve had Vailea, Berry, Montoya and Leiataua with nobody really being able to nail down the spot, mostly due to injuries. If one of those guys can actually string 3-4 games together and develop a good understanding with Montoya (or Kosi if Montoya is at centre) it ought to provide more dividends.

Matua

Bench
So, I've been thinking about this more over the weekend (as I was annoyed there was no Warriors match) and I've been extremely cautious about getting excited about the Warriors this year, as I've been burnt too much in the past and the club's direction pre this year has annoyed me so much. But, I think I'm ready to believe - that we can at least make the finals, and maybe last a week or two.

Also, I discovered this week people are starting to call the Warriors the Wahs. I really don't like it.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It’s just Te Kaha the sad old git and the other clueless tards in the expansion threads clang them that. Relevance zero

Matua

Bench
It’s just Te Kaha the sad old git and the other clueless tards in the expansion threads clang them that. Relevance zero
I don't think Te Kaha has been calling them that? I only noticed it the other day in the expansion thread when wb said it.

Then I asked my uber Warriors fan mate IRL and he said he's heard it being used this year (and doesn't like it either as it sounds like the Waratahs).

Te Kaha

First Grade

I did no such thing. I have only ever mentioned it once as a joke when the wally bought it up. It is in fact a "thing" now, Dai Henwood and the ACC call them that on national radio and TV all the time.

Oh..and f**k you.

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
Sadly, it appears to be the Warriors themselves doing it. I listened to their latest One NZ Warriors One Take podcast episode today - interview with Shaun Johnson - and they said it at the end. Grrr.