What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could 2023 be our best chance?

nswarrior

Juniors
If we have SJ, Harris, AFB, CNK, Egan and Barnett plus a majority of our players this could be the year for us.

I believe luck and timing is a big factor that is way underestimated in most sport competitions.

Although generally you need to build for a good chance at winning the Comp a number of factors have lined up for us. The Rugby League gods are paying us back for the Covid years.

No one could have foreseen SJs career best and competition leading form. AFB and Barnett give us a strong forward pack with Niukore, Curran and Ford.

We have a great bench with Walker, Tecaga and Ale.

It is still early but the team is actually improving as the combinations gel.

I think we will give the comp a good shake and we sit just behind the Panthers at the moment.

GoSouths

Juniors
i think the forward pack can live with most packs in the nrl. the backs just lack the overall class to beat the likes of penrith. sj & charnze are great, but too many rocks and diamonds after that.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I’d say our real window is coming in the next season or two, particularly if SJ decides to play on. After that we’ll have SJ, Tohu, Egan and RTS all hanging up the boots around the same time and will need to transition to newer blood.

sup42

Juniors
Pretty stoked we have played our way into the conversion as a smokey.

Simply put if the luck with injuries go our way then yes we could win the NRL.

The defence is the key, it started the year strong and has just become stronger. That defence relies on everyone staying fit, it also relies on bland backs like Pompey and Montoya being appreciated for what they do.

Pompey is the Anchor of that backline defensively, none of the NRL star attacking Centers have bested him in over 90% of Pompeys games.

Everything is Anchored around Pompey locking down one edge, which allows CNK to go to the weak side more and be the extra defender.

That is where our new uber defence starts.

Our attack needs work, but it was not horrible to begin with, just below par. The attack is also improving with us having two halves on the field for more than one game.

When TMM comes back our defence heightens again, when Jazz and Walker come back, our defence tightens further.

We have the potential to restrict all of our opponents to twelve points or less and yes anyone that good at defence in a defensive competition can legitimately get themselves into a GF.

We should go for it. Next Year might be a poor year, you have to go when that sliver of light breaks through the clouds.

Last edited:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
It’s too early for us in terms of our own peak, but you’re right that it might be our best chance in terms of the competition lacking a standout team or teams. Stranger things have happened. On the other hand, almost definitely no.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
The backline is too light currently, and they need some good wins against the elite of the comp still before they seriously come into any calculations

Consistently showing up week after week in the crunch against Penrith/Souths/Melbourne etc is what needs to be achieved, and hasn’t as yet, but can only play what’s in front of you

Yes. Reasons why we can win it.

- Andrew Webster.
- Our junior teams are building nicely.
- Teams playing to the plan.
- The return back to NZ after Covid.
- Mental steel.
- Still haven't had our full strength team playing.
- Everyone is playing a minimum 8/10 each week.
- SJ is happy.
- Good timing to bring in rookies so they aren't burnt out. All our rookies have played outstanding.

May it continue.

Meth

Staff member
We're a chance, but it would be quite a feat to go from where we were last year to the Premiership. A campaign like that tends to take 2-3 years minimum. I am still of the mind that making the 8 this year would be a success and building on that for a proper tilt at it next year would be awesome. But hey, I certainly wouldn't be complaining if this year was the year.

TheDMC

Bench
We need a big scalp enroute to the finals I reckon just to really build the belief that we can be a force in the finals, but not many big note games ahead - maybe Souths at home, and/or Parra away will do the trick

JJ

Immortal
Top 4 needed, lot to prove yet, still a bunch of sides I’d rate as clearly better, a while depleted Penrith remains a great side imo, injuries permitting

and injuries are the big unknown, but hey without unnecessarily getting our hopes up, for the first time in soooo long this is actually a worthwhile discussion

vvvrulz

Coach
We've come leaps and bounds under Webster and even with injuries we always seem to be in the game and it's a huge position to be in to be competing every week and still waiting on a few to return.

However I think lack of finals experience will eventually pip us, I foresee us making the eight, getting past week one, but there'll be a game against the Storm or Penrith etc. in which we'll get right down into the grind but will feel like we're always a try behind and end up going down by 10 or 12.

It's what happens next year and the year after that really excites me, especially if we keep SJ on board.

captainwarrior

Juniors
For me from the first month of season it has looked like an establishment season. New systems, new personnel and being back at home all being introduced and building the foundation for a real tilt at the premiership in the next couple of years. With that being said, the defensive efforts this year so far have been enormous and if we continue those through the back end of the year we're always a chance. Like others have said though, I think we might just come up short due to big game experience but tbh as long as we make the 8 I'll be happy. Top 6 would be the dream, a finals game at Mt Smart would be insane and well deserved after the COVID years.

With that being said though (and I know it's way early), I can just see us building a really strong foundation this year and then really pushing to win it next year. With RTS and CHT coming back I can really see SJ playing on another year, and it would be one hell of a fairytale if we could send him out a winner. A lot can happen between now and then, but honestly it's just great to be in the conversation as a threat again.

nswarrior

Juniors
Sometimes you have to strike while the iron is hot. The iron is hot, the competition is very very even. It will probably come down to the healthiest squad. No doubt our defense is good enough at the moment.

It's our best chance since 2002.

This is exactly what I think. Who knows what happens next year. As a long time a warriors fan I am unfortunately expecting something to go wrong next year

Things have lined up amazingly for this year. SJ in amazing form, lot of players on unders for a change meaning we have great depth.

2023 is our window. Hope the window stays for another year or 2 but there is not certainty to that

Still a worry that apart from the Sharks, we havent beat those above us on the ladder. We are in every game so thats the right ingredient for a start

Meth

Staff member
The top tier teams are the Panthers, the Rabbitohs, the Storm and Brisbane.

nswarrior

Juniors
We can match Bris, Storm and Rabbitohs if we have close to our best team. We may win some and lose some although earlier in the season we couldn’t

Panthers are a different proposition though. We need to improve to match them