What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowboys robbed clear as day

Grapple

Bench
No, plenty seem to be suggesting that Cowboys were robbed of the game and their season. I think although the foran try was disgraceful the football been played for 70 minutes of the match shows Manly were the better side.

The same QLD fans in here that argued 'oh but take away the Inglis dodge try and QLD still lead by 2 and were the better side' are the same fans in here arguing 'Oh Cowboys were robbed' when only ONE try was a bad decision and outside that Manly were the better side and scored mroe legitimate points.

The refs are shithouse, no doubt. Everyone has been saying it all year. But it's highly unfair to Manly to suggest they won the game off the back of the refs. Refs ruined the game, refs are shithouse - fair game. Cowboys were robbed, manly were gifted - not fair game.

They were robbed, I agree.

I'll admit in the past I argued against the fact Pritchard's obstruction cost the Tigers the game, purely because they evened up the game and had more chances than Canterbury in extra time to win it and if anything it spurred them on towards extra time....BUT...I think this is somewhat different.

The simple fact is this was a knockout game. So any bad calls - especially ones that directly relate to a try - are going to have a greater impact than a regular season game. Not to mention the fact that it was clear to EVERYONE but the video ref that it touched Foran's hand. Inexcusable.

You're also arguing on the basis of the final result - one that included some of the worst calls in the season. But what if the calls were ruled correctly?

Teams play completely different on emotion and momentum. You could see it in the desperation of the Cowboys at the end. Nobody can say for sure Manly or Cowboys would've played better if the game had a competent video ref, but at the very least they would be given the same chance to compete, and that's pretty much what any team deserves at the end of the season, hence why people are saying they were "robbed".

I mean, I don't really care for these teams. But no team should bow out of their season in a rubbish game like that after playing for so long to get that chance. It's just the icing on the cake of an unbelievably poor season with officials. Pretty much has me turning off games now.

RABK

Referee

I'll admit in the past I argued against the fact Pritchard's obstruction cost the Tigers the game, purely because they evened up the game and had more chances than Canterbury in extra time to win it and if anything it spurred them on towards extra time....BUT...I think this is somewhat different.

The simple fact is this was a knockout game. So any bad calls - especially ones that directly relate to a try - are going to have a greater impact than a regular season game. Not to mention the fact that it was clear to EVERYONE but the video ref that it touched Foran's hand. Inexcusable.

You're also arguing on the basis of the final result - one that included some of the worst calls in the season. But what if the calls were ruled correctly?

Teams play completely different on emotion and momentum. You could see it in the desperation of the Cowboys at the end. Nobody can say for sure Manly or Cowboys would've played better if the game had a competent video ref, but at the very least they would be given the same chance to compete, and that's pretty much what any team deserves at the end of the season, hence why people are saying they were "robbed".

I mean, I don't really care for these teams. But no team should bow out of their season in a rubbish game like that after playing for so long to get that chance. It's just the icing on the cake of an unbelievably poor season with officials. Pretty much has me turning off games now.

The Bulldogs vs Tigers game was essentially a knock out game - for the Tigers. And they got rorted royally.

I agree it's shithouse for the Cowboys and their fans to end their season like that. I agree the refs overall are shithouse. I agree that the foran try was a terrible decision.

Didgi

It's not geniused, Because there is no what if. Manly were the better side. Cowboys were not robbed as is the title of this thread.

You'll have to notify me when the thread title has been changed to 'Cowboys hard done by; or 'Refs ruined grandstand finish' because until it does then this whole thread and every single f**king moron posting in here that the Cowboys were robbed are playing massive game of what if by suggesting the Cowboys were robbed.

Robbed of what - a 14-6 loss?

:? Where does the thread title say robbed of the win? We were robbed of the opportunity to compete at 16-12.

Unfortunately champ, much as the fairytale might be in your biased mind, the better team doesn't always win the game. Manly were the better team at that point, I don't have any problem admitting that. Games change, big plays are made, and the Cowboys might've finished the better team. We were robbed of that opportunity. To say that that guarantees they would win or we never had a shot is utterly stupid.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
:lol: You have professed your love for Manly several times on this board.

This x 10000.

Foran's hand goes towards the ball, ball goes in similar direction => Foran MUST have touched it!

That is a beautiful photo of Thurston's hand on the ball. Yet another inconclusive photo. Jeez you must have some special eyesight if you can see through Thurston's hand since Foran's is behind it. It's also pretty low quality.

FTR, I agree with what Manu said basically. From the "behind" reply it looks to me like Foran gets a small touch onto it which knocks it into Thurston's hand which ultimately means it was a knock-on.

So basically in summary, the ball was mainly propelled backwards by Thurston (you can even see his hands moving in on the main angle - neglected by all) but Foran gets a small touch to it prior to that.

Bad call, would be pissed if it was my team, but not nearly as obvious as the wowsers/bandwagoners/IT WENT FORWARDS THEREFORE FORAN idiots are claiming.
Put your glasses on. The tip of Foran's little finger is touching the ball, as is his index finger, at minimum.

whall15

Coach
Can't wait to see Harrigan's justification. Probably something to do with parallel universes.

Good post Grapp..agree entirely. The disappointing aspect of this result is that a team goes out on the back of poor decisions by the officials in the game.

You could argue that a Team should not have to be in a position to rely on refs decisions to win a game but this is a finals knockout game and I feel for the Cowboys in this instance.

The acid will be on the refs in tonight's game and next Friday and if they decide to change their style then this could lead to two things...they clamp down on everything and turn the game into a penalty fest or they let it go and the same thing happens like last night !.

dogslife

Coach
The Bulldogs vs Tigers game was essentially a knock out game - for the Tigers. And they got rorted royally.
Tigers could've made the finals still, but couldn't manage to even beat the Roosters the next week, can only blame themselves

From an unbiased view(I really couldn't have cared less who won the game since we don't play either next week), the so called double movement in the corner was really a 50/50 call because he didn't really lift the ball up, momentum slid it over. The Foran touch on the other hand was the biggest crap ever, it was practically a volleyball spike.

Big Pete

Referee
firechild said:
One was legitimate according to the rules. You may not like botd or how it is applied but it was ultimately the correct call.

Hasn't stopped others from STILL complaining about the GI try. I can't speak on the behalf of others but in isolation that call is fair albeit it was still a 50/50 that went the Sea Eagles way. It's hard to take, just like the Taufua 'he didn't intentionally ground it' farce but that's what happens when the rules are as messed up as they are.

Cowboys drew level on the back of a strip call but the difference here is that it didn't take the referees over ten replays to come up with the wrong call. It wasn't apparent that the call was wrong until their was a replay. I wouldn't say they came back into the game on the back of that call because they were the better side during that 30- 50 40-50 minute period.

Nothing wrong with pointing out that the reffing wasn't all one sided but given the circumstances you'd surely understand why fans are blowing up.

Son of Minto

Bench
Cowboys drew level on the back of a strip call but the difference here is that it didn't take the referees over ten replays to come up with the wrong call. It wasn't apparent that the call was wrong until their was a replay. I wouldn't say they came back into the game on the back of that call because they were the better side during that 30- 50 40-50 minute period.

100% this

coolsteve

Juniors
:? Did you watch the game? Thurston had no chance of getting to Oldfield. Gavin Cooper was the closest player to the ball, his best efforts still had him a couple of metres away.
sure did. if thurston han`t stopped and threw his arms around and bitched (with bowen) he`d be a lot closer to do something.and after the season we had with ref`s ,did you honestly believe we could go through the final series without em f3cking up some game?

Big Pete

Referee
:lol: That awkward moment when one of your quoted posts highlights grammatical errors and simple mistakes.

there*

30-40*

EDIT: These days the refs. are so incompetent it's almost worth letting the other team score in the hope that on replay the video ref. will pick up 99% of the audience did.

Unfortunately, the video refs are usually worse than the on-field refs!

Last edited:

nqcowboy87

Bench
id handle it if we lost a bit better if wasnt incompetent refs , that foran decision is one of the biggest jokes of the last ten years

Fingerbang

Bench
Maybe I need to have my eyes checked too.....I just watched the replay in slow motion several times, and I saw Foran's hand going toward the ball but Thurston's hand being the one that flicked it away.

Latest posts