What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket 2007

Sanchez

Coach
i always have men close in with spinners. quite a high amount of defence shots bounce straight into their hands

icewind

Juniors
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
:lol:
As was the computer scoring runs in test matches.

Mark Richardson blasted a 160 ball 14 against me.

sounds about right for richardson

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Men in close with spinners works a treat, having a SMOn and a SMOff as well as a short mid-on... perfect in all aspects, particularly if you pitch it up around the creaseline on the batsman's off-side.

Generally I don't even get to the spinners in any 1 or 2* difficulty. The pacemen can easily get through pretty much any opposition within 5-8 overs for less than 50 runs. I've held England to 7, 9, 11 in ODI's lately - McGrath manages 5/2, 8/1. In one of those cases I think it was when they were all out for 9... eight of the runs were sundries (no balls), and the only actual run came from tail-ender Harmison.

On 1* difficulty, it is incredibly easy (once the first batsmen is gorn and the off-side field opens slightly) to smack fours to the offside boundary. The trick is to strike it in the right spot or you risk being clean bowled.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
What about bowling on 4* level. The batsmen blocking doesn't pop up. I bowled South Australia out for 178 in the first innings of my Pura Cup match but they were 1/140 and once I got a lucky wicket or two the tail started to pop up catches for my spinner.

DownUnder

Coach
Anyone else notice that Left handers seem to get right handers out easier and vice versa? Or is it just me?

Eelementary

Post Whore
It's weird, but that happens to me too, DU.

And what's even weirder...When I first got the game, all the batting and bowling tactics I used worked every time, on every level. But lately I am struggling. Not so much with the bat, but with the ball.

I'm currently doing a Long Tour Of England as New Zealand, and in my first 4-day match against Worcestershire, who elected to bat first, they are currently 2/27 off 12 overs. Bond struck with his second ball of the match and Franklin took the other wicket. But since then, no wickets have looked like falling. What I did was:

* For Bond's wicket, I bowled over the wicket to the right-handed batsman just outside off-stump and just short of a good length. Kept peppering that area with varying deliveries and speeds. Eventually, a full length leg-cutter got him to nick it through to McCullum.

* For Franklin's wicket, I went around the wicket to Jacques and bowled a full delivery just before the crease line and the circle was just outside off-stump. my plan was to force him to drive - it worked, and he nicked it through to the slips.

Since then, though, no plans seem to be working.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I find that using a left fast to a left hander and packing the on side field. Then bowl short towards the leg side and swing it. They will attempt pull and hook shots and if you get it right they should hole out. But you do need virtually all your fielders leg side.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
if the pitch is damp
bowl with a spinner
put it halfway down the pitch with no turn or pace at all. the ball will pretty much always roll onto there pads or stumps

willvillain

Juniors
Yeah good tactic! Heaps of bowleds and LBWs.

You'll roll a team for 25, and all 25 runs will be from f*cking no-balls!

Eelementary

Post Whore
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
if the pitch is damp
bowl with a spinner
put it halfway down the pitch with no turn or pace at all. the ball will pretty much always roll onto there pads or stumps

That's exactly what Warne does in the Ashes Scenarios when you play as England! In fact, that's all he bowls! It drives me :crazy: !

The Engineers Room

First Grade
With 4* level I just bowled out Victoria for 53 with a combination of short deliveries from quicks and bowling a leg spinner with close in men. But I find Victoria is not a very good batting side. They tend to fall apart once 2 or 3 wickets fall. South Australia are much harder to bowl to.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm currently touring the Windies as Australia, and Lee was on fire in the first Test - I took wickets I've never taken in a Test match on 3* difficulty before, including:

* Lara out for a duck, after a viciously fast good length ball knocked off his stumps;

* Chanderpaul out for 10 courtesy of a 158 kph in-swinging yorker which trapped him lbw;

* 3 caught behinds...

He ended up with figures of 7/32 off 8 overs. I was on fire!

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Do Australia have a left arm bowler who can swing the ball at all? I thought Bracken would have been able to but no, and Mitchell Johnson can't either.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Eelementary said:
And Tait can't swing the ball either. :fist:

Yeah that was a bit annoying to find out especially when Watson and even Ponting can both swing the ball (Punter is actually pretty handy as long as you keep an eye on his extras).

I'll have a look at Inness thanks, but going by the rest of the game I won't get my hopes up. Harwood and Lewis can't move it at all, the only "new" bowler I've seen who can swing the ball is Hilfenhaus.