What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcpp

Juniors
Probably only two or three years ago. Week 1 matches at Olympic Park...

Leigh.

Nope...

Lowest finals crowd since Cronulla v Brisbane in 1999 at Shark Park where 13,713 attended. Even lower than Storm v Cowboys a few years back at the SFS.

DIOGENES

Juniors
Approx 107K from first three finals. 12K needed in Melbourne tomorrow for this season to be on par with last year. Of course Manly are now in a preliminary final which makes getting the record more difficult.

Evenflow

Bench
Storm v Cowboys got 16k a few years back

Well done Manly fans...

How the f**k can Storm v Cows draw 16k which was closer to 17k and Manly draw a few thousand less against one of the same teams? Now i could be wrong but i think it's very safe to say there would've been sweet FA neutrals at the Storm v Cows game given they were both out of town teams so that makes that crowd even more impressive.

As if Manly fans didn't have enough reasons to hang their heads in shame already, now they've just found another one. f**king pathetic.

Brutus

Referee
How the f**k can Storm v Cows draw 16k which was closer to 17k and Manly draw a few thousand less against one of the same teams? Now i could be wrong but i think it's very safe to say there would've been sweet FA neutrals at the Storm v Cows game given they were both out of town teams so that makes that crowd even more impressive.

As if Manly fans didn't have enough reasons to hang their heads in shame already, now they've just found another one. f**king pathetic.

I went to that Storm v Cowboys game and it had a good atmosphere. I was surprised. The media was death-riding the game the entire week leading into it.

I was also at the Storm v Broncos SFS match in 1998 when 20k attended (to be fair that one was a Sunday arvo game). But still 1998 was the first year out of the Super League war.

Evenflow

Bench
Approx 107K from first three finals. 12K needed in Melbourne tomorrow for this season to be on par with last year. Of course Manly are now in a preliminary final which makes getting the record more difficult.

We'll get much more than that, at least 20k even hopefully double the 12k needed. That's with 80k+ across the road at the G playing at the same time. We have have a massive task like that to contend with and not to mention both games going live on tv, all Manly had to contend with was an approx 20k commute on a Saturday night which game them ample time to get there.......

docbrown

Coach

Better pray that they play the Dragons so some fans actually turn up.

It's absolutely pathetic and you should hang your heads in shame Manly fans.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I await the first manly fan to come on and tell us that they don't care what people think and so reinforce that mob's typical selfishness.

Raiderdave

First Grade
They never got that low surely.

This is the lowest I can remember for quite some time. Storm v Broncos got 20k at the SFS back in 98 ffs. Storm v Cowboys got 16k a few years back. I remember a Roosters v Canberra one 16k maybe??

Well done Manly fans...

not in the last few years
the smallest finals crowd at Olympic Park was 12,592 in 1998

you think tonight was bad .. have a look at a few of these finals crowds from 1997

Illawarra V Gold Coast at Parramatta 8,197
Roosters V Norths at the SFS 11,332 :eek:
Roosters V Gold Coast Parramatta 10,466

other notable bad ones were 14,628
Bulldogs V Raiders in 2006 at ANZ
( so it had 40K extra empty seats then tonight did :sarcasm: )
that was a wet Sat night & it was the 8.30pm kickoff time too which is a bad time to kick a game off

Last edited:

azza29

Juniors
Seems to be it's the Sydney fans letting the league down for finals attendance. Friday's game should have had at least 60k, 13k at SFS is absolutely pathetic.

Dismiss AFL supporters as Victorians if you like, at least they know how to turn up to games. 180k so far this weekend, plus around 90k tomorrow.

Expecting at least 20k for the Storm game, with nice weather we might even crack 25k (forecast is an optimistic 'showers clearing')

Evenflow

Bench
Better pray that they play the Dragons so some fans actually turn up.

It's absolutely pathetic and you should hang your heads in shame Manly fans.

As much as i dislike the Stains you can't deny for the most part their fans turn up in numbers and would def make the prelim a good atmosphere even though Manly would contribute very little of the crowd numbers. That said i don't think there's any way they'll beat the Broncs so i dont think there's much chance the Queen's playing Manly, i do reckon there's a massive chance of the Broncs fans outnumbering Manly fans though.

Brutus

Referee
Broncos v Manly semis in the early to mid 90's got mid 20s at the SFS. And they were either week 1 or 2 semis.

Manly fans liked to travel better back then.

Red Bear

Referee
I wouldn't count 97 in anything.

Forgot about that Bulldogs v Raiders one.
This. 97 there were other factors affecting our game

Broncos v Manly semis in the early to mid 90's got mid 20s at the SFS. And they were either week 1 or 2 semis.

Manly fans liked to travel better back then.
Brisbane have always been a bigger drawcard than North Qld. Not that Manly shouldnt have done alot better did they did tonight, but North Qld are just about the lowest drawing away side in Sydney, so it's not a great comparrison.

undertaker

Coach
SCENARIO 1 - If Melbourne win tomorrow:

Wk2: Tigers vs Warriors (most likely at SFS)
Broncos vs Dragons at Suncorp

Wk3: Sea Eagles vs Broncos/Dragons (if Broncos, at SFS. if Dragons, at ANZ)
Storm vs Tigers/Warriors at Etihad

SCENARIO 2 - If Newcastle win tomorrow:

Wk2: Knights vs Dragons at Ausgrid
Tigers vs Storm (most likely at SFS)

Wk3: Broncos vs Tigers/Storm at Suncorp
Sea Eagles vs Knights/Dragons (if Knights, most likely at SFS. Although the last two PF's that Knights played at the SFS in 2000 and 2001, they brought approx. 20-25000 supporters. This could potentially lead to the game being moved to ANZ. If Dragons, at ANZ)

Now, factoring in all the variables such as weather,

in scenario 1:

Tigers vs Warriors at SFS on Friday night: 25000-35000
Broncos vs Dragons at Suncorp on Saturday night: sell out

Sea Eagles vs Broncos at SFS on Friday night: 25000-35000
Sea Eagles vs Dragons at ANZ on Friday night: 50000-60000
Storm vs Tigers at Etihad on Saturday night: 20000-30000
Storm vs Warriors at Etihad on Saturday night: 30000-40000

in scenario 2:

Knights vs Dragons at Ausgrid on Friday night: sell out
Tigers vs Storm at SFS on Saturday night: 20000-30000

Broncos vs either Tigers or Storm at Suncorp on Friday night: sell out
Sea Eagles vs Dragons at ANZ on Saturday night: 50000-60000
Sea Eagles vs Knights at SFS on Saturday night: sell out
Sea Eagles vs Knights at ANZ on Saturday night: 40000-50000

your thoughts on this?

Last edited:

DIOGENES

Juniors
Assume
1. 20K tomorrow = this season +8K on record
2. GF is a sell out
last year
Finals week 2 = 50K
week 3 = 116K
Therefore for a new record the next 2 weeks must have an aggregate of 158K
Using mid-range under your scenario 1:
Week2 = 80K Week3 = somewhere between 55K (Manly/Broncos & storm/tigers) and 85K (Manly/Dragons & storm/warriors)
Under scenario 2
Week 2= 55K Week 3 = somewhere between 95K (Broncos at Suncorp and Manly/Knights) and 105K (Suncorp & Manly/Dragons)

Best result is Melbourne to win tomorrow and warriors and dragons to win next week - new record by 7K
Worst result is Newcastle tomorrow and getting through next week - the record will be missed by 8k

Effectively despite this season's miserable weather - the league has kept last season's record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts