What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hallatia

Referee
Against the storm, I would have thought 15-16k
The crowd looked like it was at least that, but the figure I've heard is about 13 and a half thousand. Who knows how these football stadiums count their crowds, right?...:sarcasm:

BDGS is right though - guessing attendences based upon television appearences or even by those in the ground is hugely flawed and incredibly unconvincing. The fact that lay people have no decent alternate option doesn't actually make it any more convincing.

Cheesie, love ya work here and on the austadiums forums...but Ive been to 4 games at skilled this year including this one... and bdgs is wrong

Cheesie, love ya work here and on the austadiums forums...but Ive been to 4 games at skilled this year including this one... and bdgs is wrong

I can't concur with the bare assertion he made at the start of this argument that (WTTE) the numbers reported for Skilled Park were right (because I do not have any independent evidence to verify it - just as I have no reliable evidence to dispute it), but I think everything else he has said is reasonable.

Arguing that numbers are faked based simply upon what appears on TV or what is observed at the ground can never, ever be conclusive. This really ought to be self evident.

1. TV only offers a good view of three quarters of the ground. The quarter of the ground that contributes most to crowds is either not shown or shown very sparingly.

2. Making a guesstimate of partially fill stands is very difficult. You have to consider a lot more than the amount of obviously empty or full seats. Distribution of patrons etc has a large impact.

3. At any given time any number of people are away from their seats. There's no reason to expect that this number is proportionate to the size of the crowd.

4. Some parts of the ground are out of sight from the camera. We all know how empty the SFS looks on a rainy day as every hides in the top rows of the lower tier where they can be undercover.

5. Hills and other general admission areas are particularly hard to judge.

The other point is that there is no way of verifying the comparison figures to independent sources. If you say "Game A can't be 20k because Game B was 18k and looked more full" you're relying on the reported figure for Game B. If you could overcome points 1 to 5 above you may be able to say that it is likely that one or both of Game A and Game B has been misreported but no more than that because neither crowd has been indepently verified.

M2D2

Bench
As a person who WAS at the GC v Cronulla game. I can attest to alot of my fellow cronulla fans laughed at the 12,997 when it came up on the board.
No f**king way was it close to 13k.
But what do they expect, that was the most expensive ticket ive ever had to pay for a seat behind the post to an NRL (non final, non SOO) game in my life.
And we could barely hear any of the titans cheers/chants. They were quiet as a mouse.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
As a person who WAS at the GC v Cronulla game. I can attest to alot of my fellow cronulla fans laughed at the 12,997 when it came up on the board.
No f**king way was it close to 13k.
But what do they expect, that was the most expensive ticket ive ever had to pay for a seat behind the post to an NRL (non final, non SOO) game in my life.
And we could barely hear any of the titans cheers/chants. They were quiet as a mouse.

Could i hear the sharkies singing, "Theres only 1 Paul Gallen". And out of interest how many away games do the CSSC do each year?

At least there is talk in the media now of the extortionate prices at Skilled

M2D2

Bench
No idea. Some of the CSSC Boys can tell you.
I know ive done 4 so far, with Brisbane left to go. (cant afford Dairy Farmers)

Billythekid

First Grade
I realise this isn't really on topic, but how friggin good does the grass look?

Also great to see the stadium packed tonight.

DIOGENES

Juniors
129K + for the round - this season's mid year rounds are significantly better than 2010 - this year must be very close to last year's equivalent now.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Rounds 11 - 16 2010: 534K
2011: 596K
12% increase

Pointed this out a few weeks ago, that we would improve on previous origin periods. My predictions this round were conservative as well, so reallistically we are going to thrash last years attendance up to Origin III

Fair play Hassler, give em a decent stadium!

Last edited:
Third highest regular home and away crowd ever at WIN Stadium. Not bad at all for a Monday night.

Fourth highest after you include the qualifying final against Cronulla in 2005.

Last edited:

flamin

Juniors
Can't wait til WIN is completed. The new stand looks amazing and will be unbelievable when packed.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Next week:

Eels v Broncos @ Parramatta: 11,000
Panthers v Dogs @ Centrebet: 16,500
Sharks v Souths @ Toyota: 15,500
Dragons v Newc @ W'gong: 17,800
Sydney v Canberra @ SFS: 7,900

JMO

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'd do a write-up on crowds this round... but the Warriors still haven't posted theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.