What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011 Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So how do you explain it when two Sydney teams playing each other can't even get a reasonable crowd?

1. Cronulla at home to other Sydney teams who don't draw well (e.g. Penrith or the Roosters)

2. Weather. Example: Canterbury v Parramatta normally draws in 30k. After a week of torrential, unprecedented rain this year, only 15k turned up. Crowd was halved.

3. Form. Fans don't go to games when their team is shite.

4. Scheduling. Time and time again, this year has proven Sydney teams need Sunday arvo footy. Brookvale, Kogarah, Leichhardt and even the bigger venues seem to attract more fans on sunny Sunday arvos.

Maybe the culture is different and I agree, 1 or 2 less teams would be ideal but there's plenty of factors.

Brutus

Referee
If brisbane people are serious there will be 40k plus against Souths and 50k plus against Manly.

hutch

First Grade
Its been often said that Sydney teams have trouble drawing a crowd when the an out of town team is playing them.

Of the 10 smallest crowds to attend an NRL game in the past 5 years four involved a Sydney team playing another Sydney team.

So how do you explain it when two Sydney teams playing each other can't even get a reasonable crowd?

In my opinion, and I have said this for a number of years, there is too many teams in Sydney.

Can't find the complete, up to the current date stats but after 13 rounds this year there had been 47 matches in Sydney and 47 matches played outside of Sydney. The average crowd in Sydney was 16461! The average outside of Sydney was 16363!

azza29

Juniors
Not too bad, shame the weather turned sour because i think it could have been a decent crowd. I think most teams would struggle to get over 12K with no away fans in those conditions.

Still hope the storm can pick things up next year. Hopefully it starts by selling memberships before christmas.

I don't think the weather was an issue - it didn't start raining until the end of the first half. Still there was a noticeable lack of Panthers fans, smallest away crowd of any game this year I reckon.

I agree, it would be good to see them get an earlier start on the memberships for 2012. A good finals run could take us to 15,000 members next year.

M2D2

Bench
1. Cronulla at home to other Sydney teams who don't draw well (e.g. Penrith or the Roosters)
2. Weather.
3. Form. Fans don't go to games when their team is shite.
4. Scheduling.
And if you follow Cronulla. You get all 4 of these

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can't find the complete, up to the current date stats but after 13 rounds this year there had been 47 matches in Sydney and 47 matches played outside of Sydney. The average crowd in Sydney was 16461! The average outside of Sydney was 16363!

which shows teams outside of Sydney have more fans, if you took out the travelling fan element of teh Sydney crowds hopw many "home" team fans would there be?

BDGS

Bench
It's pissing down heavy also in Newcastle UK as well.
Feel sorry for the Cricket players.

You mean it has rained outside of Australia this year?

That's a shock lol

which shows teams outside of Sydney have more fans, if you took out the travelling fan element of teh Sydney crowds hopw many "home" team fans would there be?

Varies depending on teams.

I would be interested to know how many Warriors fans were at the Brisbane/Warriors match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts