What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad_19

Juniors
Why do people compare Swans crowds to NRL?

I think the point is that the Swans got a crowd above their yearly average with the match live against the gate, in atrocious weather. Souths got a crowd far below their yearly average, against another NSW side in the same weather, with the game on a massive delay. Tonights crowd is very, very disappointing. I would generally consider the rain an acceptable excuse, but if a sporting side competing for support in the clustered Sydney market can boost their average on the back of tonights weather, then Souths at least should have gone close to theirs...

Eels Dude

Coach
I think the point is that the Swans got a crowd above their yearly average with the match live against the gate, in atrocious weather. Souths got a crowd far below their yearly average, against another NSW side in the same weather, with the game on a massive delay. Tonights crowd is very, very disappointing. I would generally consider the rain an acceptable excuse, but if a sporting side competing for support in the clustered Sydney market can boost their average on the back of tonights weather, then Souths at least should have gone close to theirs...

It's actually because Souths fans are all softcocks like Bunniesman who get forced to stay home and watch the royal wedding as opposed to the footy.

Pigskin

Juniors
pretty terrible night in brisbane, cold, gusty and on and off rain patches ... and say what you like but I'm positive the wedding had an effect on the crowd

passed thru the cbd in a bus on the way to the game, and around the Queen St mall where its usually thriving and bustling was dead ... and thats around 6pm on a friday night

are you guys seriously questioning 30k in brisbane ? you have to be joking ... the dogs is one of the marquee games for the broncs up here, on a fine, sunny sunday afternoon, with no royal wedding on the tv, i have no doubt 45k would have attended

9.5k for 2 sydney teams ... disect that up ... yeah, thats right - we expect that sort of crowd in sydney, but there is no need to reduce the number of teams in the area

disgraceful cockroaches ... don't worry, more hurt is on its way in about a month

Oink !

ps if we had another marquee game up here in the right timeslot in the near future before some losses, I think you'd see a massive crowd ... the wins are now starting to grab the attention and tonights 7th in a row against better opposition will bring the fair weather supporters out in force ... unfortunately saturday night and melbourne straight after a test match the night before is not the game to do this

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
brisbane? they only have 1 rugby league team and it's heartland. they should be at capacity every f**king week.

the swanettes should actually be compared to the storm as melbourne are dealing with similar external industry conditions as sydney, just the other way around. and they still do better, albeit, with an 18 yr headstart. and if you want to continue the comparisons further, there is no way a match between 2 melbourne teams would attract sub-10k these days, no matter where the 2 teams are on the table.

but that's 2 (i think) SCG home games for them, 2 abysmal nights, and 2 decent crowds. they probably wouldve got above 30k for both on decent nights.

and while im watching this........souths going nowhere despite the win. mortgaged their future on this season and dont look like improving beyond a 12th-16th standard team.

2 better drawing sides though too
lets see how many turn up when they play port ... shall we

Raiderdave

First Grade

Swans Played Carlton .... probably in the top 3 for your " big" home clashes .. but wouldn't have got many more if dry

Souths Played the Sharks.. probably in the bottom 3 for theirs
also wouldn't have got many more if dry as it was always a low drawing event.
still an ordinary turnout .. but not unexpected.

even allowing for a 10.30pm delayed telecast for the Souths game
I expect it will still smash the live telecast of the Swans game for Ratings in Sydney.
& if AFL apologists in here use the excuse that the Swans game was up against the live telecast of the Broncos game.. that only involved 1 sydney side ( both on secondary digital channels due to the wedding ) then it shows the depth of interest in the swans past the 28K at the ground in Sydney is still ... very very shallow

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
pretty terrible night in brisbane, cold, gusty and on and off rain patches ... and say what you like but I'm positive the wedding had an effect on the crowd

passed thru the cbd in a bus on the way to the game, and around the Queen St mall where its usually thriving and bustling was dead ... and thats around 6pm on a friday night

are you guys seriously questioning 30k in brisbane ? you have to be joking ... the dogs is one of the marquee games for the broncs up here, on a fine, sunny sunday afternoon, with no royal wedding on the tv, i have no doubt 45k would have attended

9.5k for 2 sydney teams ... disect that up ... yeah, thats right - we expect that sort of crowd in sydney, but there is no need to reduce the number of teams in the area

disgraceful cockroaches ... don't worry, more hurt is on its way in about a month

Oink !

ps if we had another marquee game up here in the right timeslot in the near future before some losses, I think you'd see a massive crowd ... the wins are now starting to grab the attention and tonights 7th in a row against better opposition will bring the fair weather supporters out in force ... unfortunately saturday night and melbourne straight after a test match the night before is not the game to do this

you've got the Storm up there next sat night
if the weather is fine ( lets hope it is ) .... then one hopes Suncorps 52K capacity will be sorely tested.... otherwise .... hmmmm:?

Evenflow

Bench
similar number of teams in the afl in melbourne as their are nrl teams in sydney. storm and swans on their own. similar industry conditions.

Similar number of teams yes, Storm and Swans of thet own in their respective sports yes, similar industrie conditions a big fat no. While the Swans have to compete with Sydney NRL clubs those NRL clubs drew "only" a bit over 1.7 million to their home games combined.

In comparison the Storm have to compete with AFL clubs down here where those clubs drew over 3.3 million to their home games in a city with less people so it's far from similar in that respect. Clearly the Storm have much much more competition for the sporting dollar in their market than the Swans do in theirs so you can't compare the two teams crowd numbers when the circumstances are so different.

ozjet1

Similar number of teams yes, Storm and Swans of thet own in their respective sports yes, similar industrie conditions a big fat no. While the Swans have to compete with Sydney NRL clubs those NRL clubs drew "only" a bit over 1.7 million to their home games combined.

In comparison the Storm have to compete with AFL clubs down here where those clubs drew over 3.3 million to their home games in a city with less people so it's far from similar in that respect. Clearly the Storm have much much more competition for the sporting dollar in their market than the Swans do in theirs so you can't compare the two teams crowd numbers when the circumstances are so different.

and why do the AFL get those crowds?

Sure, they arent the exact same market. One is Sydney, the other is Melbourne. But they are similar in terms of being the lone team in a market saturated with the rival code.

you're confusing external conditions with the ability of the two clubs and their respective game's level of success in exploiting their internal strategic capabilities to deliver sustainable competitive advantage. The AFL has done a great job at using their internal capabilities over the years to get to the point they are with their crowds. Memberships, exploiting their multi-network rights deal with added promotion, grass roots programs, etc. Dont forget, their game in VIC was in a shambles in the 80s with dwindling crowds and many clubs in danger of going under. They've turned it around.

in contrast, the NRL has had the opportunity here in Sydney to do likewise but the self-serving morons who run the game, the general bogan working-class aggressive image of it, poor FTA coverage, etc has held it back. This is not a factor of the external environment, but it's internal ability to give it an advantage. The NRL can control these things. The NRL arent competing, but around here, it's the same old we dont get a fair go and other BS excuses to try and justify why the game lags behind the AFL's in certain areas. I admit, there's some acceptance at times, but once those letters 'A-F-L' turn up in a post, it;s like a red-rag to bull and people crap on with the biggest BS or deflect with Victorian, boggerball, AFL, etc. FMD! Theyre the ones with the bigger crowds every week. theyre ones with a $1.25b rights deal. What are the NRL doing to get rugby league to this level?

fanatique

Juniors
Look it is pointless and frankly needy pretending that the Souths VS Sharks attendance is not poor and depressing when contrasted with the AFL game. It is. It was a poor turnout from both Souths and Cronulla and especially so considering that Souths are a "Big 4" city club.

No special pleading. No pretending. Hands up. it was a poor crowd. Now let's get on with it.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Very disappointing, especially considering that you can get off the train right next door to the stadium. :sarcasm:

This crowd was 10000 down from what it should be.

Last year only 11k attended a Bulldogs v Tigers game at Stade de Oz played in similar conditions. I doubt that many teams would have attracted a decent crowd last night.

bobmar28

Bench
and why do the AFL get those crowds?

Sure, they arent the exact same market. One is Sydney, the other is Melbourne. But they are similar in terms of being the lone team in a market saturated with the rival code.

you're confusing external conditions with the ability of the two clubs and their respective game's level of success in exploiting their internal strategic capabilities to deliver sustainable competitive advantage. The AFL has done a great job at using their internal capabilities over the years to get to the point they are with their crowds. Memberships, exploiting their multi-network rights deal with added promotion, grass roots programs, etc. Dont forget, their game in VIC was in a shambles in the 80s with dwindling crowds and many clubs in danger of going under. They've turned it around.

in contrast, the NRL has had the opportunity here in Sydney to do likewise but the self-serving morons who run the game, the general bogan working-class aggressive image of it, poor FTA coverage, etc has held it back. This is not a factor of the external environment, but it's internal ability to give it an advantage. The NRL can control these things. The NRL arent competing, but around here, it's the same old we dont get a fair go and other BS excuses to try and justify why the game lags behind the AFL's in certain areas. I admit, there's some acceptance at times, but once those letters 'A-F-L' turn up in a post, it;s like a red-rag to bull and people crap on with the biggest BS or deflect with Victorian, boggerball, AFL, etc. FMD! Theyre the ones with the bigger crowds every week. theyre ones with a $1.25b rights deal. What are the NRL doing to get rugby league to this level?

What a load of crap. The ABC's love affair with AFL means a truck load of free publicity for them. Not to mention the promotion on 7 & 10, even SBS. With all that free publicity AFL should win the TV ratings by a mile but still gets smashed by NRL. AFL always gets better crowds but who cares? NRL will get a billion dollar deal for the next rights contract.

Last edited:

fanatique

Juniors
What a load of crap. The ABC's love affair with AFL means a truck load of free publicity for them. Not to mention the promotion on 7 & 10, even SBS. With all that free publicity AFL should win the TV ratings by a mile but still gets smashed by NRL. AFL always gets better crowds but who cares? NRL will get a billion dollar deal for the next rights contract.

So what you are saying is that the AFL "gets smashed" by another code in ratings yet bizarrely the media have a "love affair" with this failing sport and hand out "free publicity" whereas a rating winner like NRL is ignored by a business that lives and dies on ratings?

Wanting it to be true does not make it true I'm afraid but most of us will continue to pretend we believe this fantasy conspiracy theory because we want to. As I said above it would be much less needy and defensive to simply admit they get good numbers - which they do if we want to be honest - and then ignore them.

The Tank

Bench
I'm not sure if this is feasable but is it possible for Souths to play teams like Cronulla, Penrith at Redfern instead of ANZ? ANZ probably wouldn't allow it I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.