What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

docbrown

Coach
As someone who was at both games i just can't believe there was more at the ground last year.

Same. There were definitely more people there today than at the Dragons game last year.

I honestly think Proticket has stuffed up because when I tried to get Western Stand seats they all said sold out - yet there were consecutive seats clearly available - almost one whole upper bay. I doubt that many members wouldn't bother to show up for the first game in the new stand.

Billythekid

First Grade
LOL @ those who seriously think they actually understate crowd numbers to the point of anything of anything between 4k-6k! What possible logical reason would they have to strip thousands off the attendance numbers when in no way it makes it look worse and in no way better?

I don't understand why you have to be such a d*ck. Who the hell suggested that the knights were reporting an extra low crowd?

My opinion is that it is most likely a counting issue which im pretty sure we have seen at other grounds.

My prediction is that we will see crowds in the near future getting reported as being as big or bigger than todays one when they are clearly not.

Only time will tell.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Did the Roosters swap their Knights game back to the SFS?

Correct. They chose to take the Broncos game there this year - I would imagine because without Good Friday (which they don't get this year), Brisbane are a low-draw and it's an ideal candidate to move to Gosford.

adamkungl

Immortal
Brisbane are actually the only interstate team we do draw against. I'm not sure it's because of Good Friday, but they actually have some history and success behind them unlike the other blow ins, and thus a bit more of a rivalry.

gaterooze

Bench
Same. There were definitely more people there today than at the Dragons game last year.

I honestly think Proticket has stuffed up because when I tried to get Western Stand seats they all said sold out - yet there were consecutive seats clearly available - almost one whole upper bay. I doubt that many members wouldn't bother to show up for the first game in the new stand.

Those upper Western seats were unavailable - they're not quite finished yet, you could see scrap metal lying around.

But apart from that, the joint was packed.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
Roosters beat the Broncos 25-6 in last years good friday's match
pope_face_palm.jpg

docbrown

Coach
Those upper Western seats were unavailable - they're not quite finished yet, you could see scrap metal lying around.

But apart from that, the joint was packed.

I'm actually talking about the middle bays not the ends. The northern most available bay had maybe 20 people in it scattered around and all the seating was in place. They wouldn't open a partial bay. There were also consecutive seats empty in a few of the other upper bays - yet Proticket said all the seats there were sold out.

I doubt that many members didn't bother to show up so I think it's a ticketing issue.

Bit unimpressed with the crowd today.... very very few tigers fans there it has to be said, seems they don't turn out unless they think they are going to win.

Knights stadium obviously has the opposite effect of Suncorp. Looked absolutely packed while apparently there were 10K empty seats while Suncopr can look empty but still somehow be holding 35k+

Possibly. Most fans were pessimistic in light of our injuries-situation. I don't think we can hope to be competitive until key players start returning or at the very least, combinations develop in their absence.

Another point, which has already been alluded to, is that no Sydney club, aside from St George and Bulldogs attract substantial away support. Of course, success on the field will translate to higher away support but the norm is for fans to only attend home games.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Considering what? Was there 86 drops of rain that fell on the entire Sydney suburbs? Usually that's a good excuse for some of the crowds we see up there.

It only ended getting just over 11k which is pretty sh*tful IMO, the ironic thing is if the Storm got that against the Cows down here it'd be classed as shocking but up there it'll be classed as a decent crowd.

I can hear the usual bullsh*t now though, but but but we have 6 teams in Sydney competing in the games rugby league heartland, but but but we also have 9 teams to compete against down here but what makes it much worse and harder is we're in AFL heartland where the game is a religion and is watched live at the ground more than twice as much as ours is so we've got a sh*tload more to contend with than you up there.

All things considered and comparing our crowds here to crowds in Sydney, it's very clear to anyone with any semblance of a brain that we draw pretty bloody decent crowds given our opposition is much greater than your up there. Lets not forget (which conveniently often is) we play against 15 away crowds that draw minimal fans for the most part while Sydney team have the luxury of drawing away fans on top of their home fans every time they play there.

Sure, it wasn't a fantactic crowd at Parramatta, but it's hardly a surprise as the cowboys never draw well at Parramatta. You look back at the historical records for Parramatta vs Cowboys games at Parramatta Stadium and the Cowboys are always near the worst crowds for Parra.

If that is Parramatta's worst home crowd for the year then I'm happy.

morley101

Juniors
There were problems with the amount of ticket sellers at the SFS yesterday, many of the windows were shut. I wouldn't be surprised that a few people walked away. The pre-sales for the game were very poor due to the poor
weather in the days leading up.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Poor weather in the days leading up?

In which country?

Weather's been pretty okay since the storm on Thursday arvo in Sydney.

Serc

First Grade
I was at the last home game in Newcastle too (also vs Saints) and there was 23k in that game...so obviously somebody stuffed up the count...given that they were operating on 30k on the day (33k final capacity when finished), and that it was pretty full, say 3/4 full in eastern stand, and 80-90% full in western stand (I walked across to both sides during the game) with the hills full, the crowd should've been around the 25-27k mark.

Also of note is that they didn't have the ticket machines set up for the western stand yet, so they had to manually scan everyone's ticket with some PDA looking thing as you went in...maybe not all of the handheld machines were input prior to the official count?

Last edited:

Red Bear

Referee
Sure, it wasn't a fantactic crowd at Parramatta, but it's hardly a surprise as the cowboys never draw well at Parramatta. You look back at the historical records for Parramatta vs Cowboys games at Parramatta Stadium and the Cowboys are always near the worst crowds for Parra.

If that is Parramatta's worst home crowd for the year then I'm happy.
Cowboys dont really draw very well anywhere in NSW to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts