What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Two teams in East Sydney with poor crowds and two teams in West Sydney with poor crowds. If this is eventually going to be a national competition rather than a modified Sydney competition amalgamations should be revisited.
I can hear the cries of "we have been here since 1908" and "what about the tradition?" already - but the tradition doesn't extend to more that 10K going to a game on a perfect day.
On another thread there are comments about the low number of juniors and participation in East and South Sydney territories - once again tradition can only go so far.

Right so you would vote for outright abandonment of everything east of the anzac bridge then. noted

Every sydney club has its highs and lows with crowds, mostly dependant on form/perception of winning team. Reality is we now have 9 clubs averaging in the range 11-23k, which is lightyears ahead of where the crowds where 20 years ago. Crowds in one club cities like Canberra, Townsville and Gold Coast are far from spectacular and lower than most of the sydney clubs but its not an excuse to cut them.

DIOGENES

Juniors
Right so you would vote for outright abandonment of everything east of the anzac bridge then. noted

Every sydney club has its highs and lows with crowds, mostly dependant on form/perception of winning team. Reality is we now have 9 clubs averaging in the range 11-23k, which is lightyears ahead of where the crowds where 20 years ago. Crowds in one club cities like Canberra, Townsville and Gold Coast are far from spectacular and lower than most of the sydney clubs but its not an excuse to cut them.

Not at all - the evidence is that there was only enough support in Balmain/Lidcombe for 1 team and enough support for 1 team north of the harbour. I think a combined Souths/Easts team and a combined Parramatta/Penrith team would strengthen the game.

Next I'll hear that that fans of those teams hate each other - yeah all 10K who go to the game - didn't happen with West/Tigers or StG/I. The problem with Norths/Manly was Norths management rather than the fans.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think trying to fit 3 regions in was always going to be troublesome. A northern bears or northern eagles might have had more chance with games split between gosford/manly or gosford/ns could have worked with the weaker of manly or bears dropping to nsw cup.

All water under bridge but there is an eventual danger that in time to come manly can't keep pace and cc bears don't get in and we end up with no teams in that whole region.

Re penrith, they are a classic example of putting a team into a region where people are already following other teams on their doorstep.

the dude

Juniors
Not at all - the evidence is that there was only enough support in Balmain/Lidcombe for 1 team and enough support for 1 team north of the harbour. I think a combined Souths/Easts team and a combined Parramatta/Penrith team would strengthen the game.

Next I'll hear that that fans of those teams hate each other - yeah all 10K who go to the game - didn't happen with West/Tigers or StG/I. The problem with Norths/Manly was Norths management rather than the fans.

You've got NFI.

docbrown

Coach
They do that unless they expect 20k+ basically. Who the f**k would sit at the ends when GA = almost everywhere at the SFS.

I took the kids down today. Got to experience the Roosters shuffle - at half time everybody swapped ends. Makes sense I suppose.

Talking to a couple of fans today they were of the opinion that the rich Roosters big wigs need to copy Tinkler and do a community membership.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Round 9 :: May 4-7
Friday 4 May
Eels 12 lost to Bulldogs 46 @ ANZ (Crowd: 28,214), 7:35pm Ch 9/GEM - thread
Cowboys 30 def Dragons 6 @ Dairy Farmers (Crowd: 15,006), 7:35pm Ch 9/GEM - thread
Saturday 5 May
Warriors 30 def Broncos 20 @ Mt Smart (Crowd: 19,012), 5:30pm FOX Sports LIVE - thread
Titans 14 lost to Tigers 15 (golden point) @ Skilled (Crowd: 14,254), 7:30pm FOX Sports LIVE - thread
Panthers 10 lost to Storm 44 @ Centrebet (Crowd: 9,517), 7:30pm FOX Sports LIVE - thread
Sunday 6 May
Sea Eagles 18 def Raiders 12 @ Brookvale (Crowd: 15,033), 2:00pm FOX Sports LIVE - thread
Roosters 24 def Knights 6 @ Allianz (Crowd: 12,728), 3:00pm Ch 9/GEM - thread
Monday 7 May
Rabbitohs v Sharks @ ANZ Stadium, 7:00pm FOX Sports LIVE - thread
Crowd total Round 9 (seven matches): 113,764
Crowd average Round 9: 16,252

Crowd total 2012: 1,252,945
Crowd average 2012: 17,647

71 matches so far this season, we're ahead of the corresponding point last year (71 matches) by a small margin if I'm not mistaken. From Round 9 on the match structure this season is different so it's hard to compare rounds like-for-like.

adamkungl

Immortal
Such words from a moderator!

Moderators aren't here to be nice to sydney haters, they're here to enforce forum rules. Also, i'm not a mod in this forum.

I took the kids down today. Got to experience the Roosters shuffle - at half time everybody swapped ends. Makes sense I suppose.

Talking to a couple of fans today they were of the opinion that the rich Roosters big wigs need to copy Tinkler and do a community membership.

I'm missing the joke there. Blonde moment?

What's the community membership? We already have $99 memberships, playing 2 decent seasons in a row might do the trick...

2005 fail 2006 fail 2007 fail 2008 success 2009 spoon 2010 success 2011 fail.

AtholSmith

Juniors
I agree with DIOGENES regarding amalgamation, and the particular mergers suggested. Whatever's happening regarding growth of the game, and game strength around the eastern suburbs and Penrith isn't working, and hasn't worked for a long time, so we should change it.

Billythekid

First Grade
I think the Penrith area has been mismanaged but has a lot of room for growth. I think we would be very silly to kick them out and it would be very risky/stupid with the AFL, A-league and union all trying to push into the area.

adamkungl

Immortal
There are a lot of stupid threads on LU. But the Crowd Watch thread takes the cake for the most consistently outrageous paranoia, abundantly stupid ideas, and general sooking.

docbrown

Coach
Moderators aren't here to be nice to sydney haters, they're here to enforce forum rules. Also, i'm not a mod in this forum.

I'm missing the joke there. Blonde moment?

What's the community membership? We already have $99 memberships, playing 2 decent seasons in a row might do the trick...

2005 fail 2006 fail 2007 fail 2008 success 2009 spoon 2010 success 2011 fail.

Is that $99 for the entire season? If so that's pretty good, wonder what they were on about then. They had put on a few already before we started talking so maybe they were just whinging.

If you guys have seats for less than $10 each, why do you think you guys struggle to retain crowds during the poor times?

docbrown

Coach
Not a blonde moment btw, I was just going off what the Roosters fans were saying. I was actually impressed with the atmosphere despite it being 1/4 filled.

Billythekid

First Grade
There are a lot of stupid threads on LU. But the Crowd Watch thread takes the cake for the most consistently outrageous paranoia, abundantly stupid ideas, and general sooking.

There is a lot of that but there are much worse threads out there. This is one of the more active and long running threads which makes it look a bit worse.

adamkungl

Immortal
Is that $99 for the entire season? If so that's pretty good, wonder what they were on about then. They had put on a few already before we started talking so maybe they were just whinging.

If you guys have seats for less than $10 each, why do you think you guys struggle to retain crowds during the poor times?

We've retained our crowds pretty consistently for the last 5 years...like I said, when you're putrid every second year it's hard to grow. We've played none of our big drawers (Saints Souffs Dogs Tigers) yet. Our average will finish around 14k most likely, a bit more if we hit some better form.

bobmar28

Bench
Reality is the game isn't that big at the moment that one team cities are doing much better. When Auckland, melbourne, brisbane2 and eventually Perth and Wellington are drawing regular 30,000 crowds you may have a point.

Auckland...1.3 million, Melbourne...AFL, Brisbane...2 million=1 team, Perth...1.7 million-----Sydney...4.6 million. If we can't get better crowds in a city of 4.6 million then something has to be done.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
The short sighted won't look at both sides of the coin. Both Souths and the Roosters are growing their memberships annually. Souths member numbers speak for themselves given that we haven't had any success for 2 generations. The Roosters are making a concerted effort to grow thier numbers too. And they are. Souths recently broke their regular season attendance record and the Roosters were involved in a 40K match just last week. Put the Dogs at home to the Cows or Sharks on any day and they will struggle to pull in 15K. The convenient timing of these arguments is always interesting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts