What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2013 - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictoryFC

Bench
When you allow for population our consumption of sport shits on the US.

There were between 12.5-13 million people who attended the major team sports in Australia last year.

In the US, there were 220 million. That spans NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, MLS and College football and basketball.

uS has 315 million people. Australia has 22m.

220m is 16 times bigger than the 13m who attended in Australia. 315 million is 14 times bigger than Australias 22m population.

Anything else you got?

Perth Red

Post Whore
ok here's how long it took the AFL crowds to grow, roughly. Hopefully at some point the NRL will get serious and we can match the growth

1946 18,000 avg
1954 cracked the 20k avg
1978 cracked the 30k avg
2005 cracked the 35k avg

takes a while people!

BunniesMan

Immortal
There were between 12.5-13 million people who attended the major team sports in Australia last year.

In the US, there were 220 million. That spans NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, MLS and College football and basketball.

220m is 16 times bigger than the 13m who attended in Australia. 315 million is 14 times bigger than Australias 22m population.

Anything else you got?
Counting amateur sport is hardly an apples and apples comparison. If you include amateur sports you open up a whole new can of worms.

Our consumption of professional sport shits on the US and anyone else.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Yep and their crowds have dropped significantly despite the huge amount they spend advertising their games.

The only reason the AFL's average crowd figures have 'dropped' is because of the introduction of the two new teams.

DROT2XO.png

The GC Suns in 2011 and GWS in 2012

Apart from that, you could argue they have stagnated just like NRL.

Jason Maher

Immortal
I've looked this up before. The year on year average attendance for the AFL/VFL has been double that for the NRL/ARL/NSWRL going back decades. For whatever reason, people who follow Australian Rules are far more likely to attend games than people who follow Rugby League.

I don't know if it'd be possible to dig up the figures, but I'd be interested to see the how the attendance figures for the BRL pre-Broncos stacked up against those for the WAFL pre-Eagles and the SANFL pre-Crows.

elbusto

Coach
The only reason the AFL's average crowd figures have 'dropped' is because of the introduction of the two new teams.

DROT2XO.png

The GC Suns in 2011 and GWS in 2012

Apart from that, you could argue they have stagnated just like NRL.
Incorrect. It has been a combination of new Clubs and a genuine drop in normal attendances for traditional clubs.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Something that is easily forgotten in all of this.

We are a very small country. When you combine the AFL/NRL crowds, as well as Union and Soccer, for a country of 20 odd million, we punch way way way way way above our weight in how much sport we support.

If someone took the time to work out how many Australians watch/attend live sport per head of population, I think it would be off the charts compared to any country in Europe or the US.

Yes you and Ireland are quite unique as they have a population of 5 million and have Rugby/Soccer/Hurling and Gaelic Football to compete with each other.

It's been a great day today as watched the Lion's and Athletic's and Tennis tomorrow alongside the Cricket and not one word about f**kin Soccer at the moment yet in 3 week's time the whole EPL friendly bollock's be starting again and all the moran's who don't play Sport or don't like anything but Soccer will be out sprouting there crap.
Iam enjoying it while it last's.

DC_fan

Coach

Anything else you got?

Before anyone starts comparing total sports crowds between the US and Australia they should realise that MLB (2,420), NBA (990) and NHL (1,230) play many many times the number of games that our codes do. Therefore their total crowds are going to be considerably bigger.

For mine a truer indication is the average crowd figure. But the again that can be distorted also. There is no city in the US that has nine teams from one competition playing out like Sydney does in the NRL.

Also, if we use an NFL/NRL comparison we have 32 NFL teams spread across 31 cities up against 16 NRL teams spread across 7 cities.

Raiderdave

First Grade
so
30,000 poms ,taffy's ... micks & jimmy's pad a yawnion crowd for what ended up being the fizzer of the century
talk about a non event :sarcasm:

& 85,000 Victorians paying on average $10 a ticket attend a bumbling fumbling mess in Melbourne that at one stage had 10 goals kicked & 26 behinds :?:lol::crazy:

We will have 84,000 Aussies paying on average about $150 a ticket on Wednesday week who will see a sporting spectacle that will make the above 2 look like an amateur production at a girl guides jamboree

end of :cool:

Raiderdave

First Grade
You cannot under any circumstance deny that AFL crowds make NRL look silly.Stuffs me what has to be done....cull some Sydney teams perhaps? Anything under 25000 is rubbish. Actually that figure is tiny for AFL.

ahhhhh
Melbournes crowds only .... it is the only place in the universe a decent fumbleball crowd will gather

as this city is the start & end of said universe
& Melbournians are not particularly discerning when it comes to their football , they have very little else going on in their lives , they are a bit one dimensional , a bit stunted in their social lives

so its not really a gauge of anything in my opinion.
its more a reflection of this city & its people then the sport.
quite sad really

carcharias

Immortal
so
30,000 poms ,taffy's ... micks & jimmy's pad a yawnion crowd for what ended up being the fizzer of the century
talk about a non event :sarcasm:

& 85,000 Victorians paying on average $10 a ticket attend a bumbling fumbling mess in Melbourne that at one stage had 10 goals kicked & 26 behinds :?:lol::crazy:

We will have 84,000 Aussies paying on average about $150 a ticket on Wednesday week who will see a sporting spectacle that will make the above 2 look like an amateur production at a girl guides jamboree

end of :cool:

That game last night showcased how much better rugby league is
as a spectator sport.

God union is boring.
The endless penalties and kicking out is unbearable.
On par with soccer.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Before anyone starts comparing total sports crowds between the US and Australia they should realise that MLB (2,420), NBA (990) and NHL (1,230) play many many times the number of games that our codes do. Therefore their total crowds are going to be considerably bigger.

For mine a truer indication is the average crowd figure. But the again that can be distorted also. There is no city in the US that has nine teams from one competition playing out like Sydney does in the NRL.

Also, if we use an NFL/NRL comparison we have 32 NFL teams spread across 31 cities up against 16 NRL teams spread across 7 cities.

USA and Australia are the size of Western Europe and more yet 20 million to the Aussie's with 4 Football codes to over 300 million to the Yank's with one major Football code is pretty impressive from you Aussie's.

People say how frightening the U.S.A. would be if they took Rugby Union seriously never mind if there was no Gridiron but just Rugby but despite Rugby Union in Australia being the 4th Football now they have been world champion's twice and are in the top 4 so imagine how good Australia be if there was just Rugby Union instead of Rugby League never mind if the Aussie Rules state's were also Rugby Union and that's with a population of only 20 million if you get my drift.

Raiderdave

First Grade
That game last night showcased how much better rugby league is
as a spectator sport.

God union is boring.
The endless penalties and kicking out is unbearable.
On par with soccer.

both of the other sports games last night champ

I watched a bit of the AFL too at half time in the NRL
& jesus mary & joseph :sarcasm:

it was a key stone cops episode
Geelong .. one of the best in the buss in that sport had apparently kicked one goal
13 behinds at one stage :eek:

both teams fumbled & bumbled around .. falling ova
missing shots that my nanna would nail
dropping kicks that league fullbacks would catch blind folded , constantly kicking the ball to the other team or out of bounds with no one near them !!:sarcasm:

after 2 minutes I said F this
what the hell is this crap ??

this was supposed to be a .. blockbuster :?
it was a circus routine , & not a very good one either :lol:

carcharias

Immortal
I literally could not tell you what team is what in AFL.
I know the swans ... collingwood and west coast.
Only know collingwood because I went to a game once between them and the swans.
I know west coast because I lived WA for a bit.

The rest ... I got nothing.

Brutus

Referee

I'm surprised you haven't heard of Essingtown or Hadthwark. Big teams all around the world.

Teddyboy

First Grade

Judging from the twitter's of AFL star Buddy Franklin it seem's to me he would of loved to have the option to play Rugby.

DC_fan

Coach
The problem for the different sports here in Australia is that they all want a bigger piece of a very small pie (population). Sooner rather then later one or more of those sports are going to suffer in a very bad way.

Teddyboy

First Grade
The problem for the different sports here in Australia is that they all want a bigger piece of a very small pie (population). Sooner rather then later one or more of those sports are going to suffer in a very bad way.

And that will be a Rugby I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts