What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanoff

Juniors
how can that be? they should pull 100k every game there then, but as far as i know they dont.

Well there are 40000 seats at the MCG not available to a club.

The MCC and AFL members take 40000. Not all of them support collingwood.

georgesnmith

Juniors
You can't compare the two really. AFL supporters seem to be a lot more passionate and commit to their club financially a lot more. I heard Collingwood is just about to crack 80,000 members and within a few years will have a waiting list to watch a game at the MCG. I can only dream about that in our game

im friends with english sports fans who travel australia regularly watching all sports from union, league, cricket etc

theyve been to the MCG and said the atmosphere is terrible.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I have just recently moved to Adelaide from Sydney. The one big thing I have noticed here is that most people don't actually know that their is a rugby league and union, they all think its the same game. The NRL really is going to be mission impossible expanding in this market. The other thing I have noticed is the media or people do not look upon the game as negative at all as the Sydney siders do of AFL. It's literally just not talked about down here

If people in Adelaide aren't aware enough to know that there are two different types of Rugby, then they are beyond help or maybe they are just full of BS.

I don't buy this argument from anyone with half a brain.

There is too much national media around these days.

That's not to say though that RL has a big task ahead of them in Adelaide

I think though that they got a crowd of 30k for the first Rams game....can you imagine that?.

georgesnmith

Juniors
adelaide ...pass

PNG is more developed economically.

PNG NRL side has 6 million people amongst its captive audience, who wants a team in adelaide.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Well I have been here in Adelaide for a month now and the NRL isn't even on Gem. The local newspaper does not have a single article and the only story I saw was a brief mention of the tackle that caused a broken neck. If the NRL is to expand it will need to crack these markets. QLD does not have another single population area that is suitable to sustain another NRL side

There are plenty of places that the NRL can expand to before Adelaide.

I also think that Brisbane can support 2 teams.

Billythekid

First Grade
Probably belongs in the expansion thread really. Personally Adelaide is way down on the list of priorities. Perth, NZ, Brisbane and CC all need teams first. Hell by the time Adelaide become a realistic scenario we may be looking at PNG by that point.

Well I have been here in Adelaide for a month now and the NRL isn't even on Gem. The local newspaper does not have a single article and the only story I saw was a brief mention of the tackle that caused a broken neck. If the NRL is to expand it will need to crack these markets. QLD does not have another single population area that is suitable to sustain another NRL side

Why do we need to crack the Adelaide market? It's pretty small really. If we cover every capital city + NZ + rural areas we are covering far more than the AFL are.

Brutus

Referee
f**k Adelaide.

We need another team from Brisbane, another team from NZ and PERTH, PERTH, PERTH!!!

STORM.99/07

Bench

The games aren`t even on Gem in Melbourne either and I don`t know why Gem stopped doing the games..BAD MOVE
I live here in sadelaide and I think the NRL gets a fair bit of coverage(do you have foxtel)?.I know lots of people here who have an interest in Rugby League and went to any game that has been played here.On the week end they have stories of NRL in the advertiser(just look in sporting section.
Brief mention of Alex Mckinnon ,..ARE YOU KIDDING? It was on the nightly
news for more than a week, couldn`t turn on the morning shows without hearing all about it.
Great to have another NRL supporter here in this backward town

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
If people in Adelaide aren't aware enough to know that there are two different types of Rugby, then they are beyond help or maybe they are just full of BS.

I don't buy this argument from anyone with half a brain.

There is too much national media around these days.

I can vouch for him. I've heard Tasmanians refer to "the rugby" when talking of the Storm. They just lump the two together. When pressed they may differentiate, but otherwise why bother?

I've also heard Englishmen (southerners) refer to league as "the 13s".

CC_Roosters

First Grade
im friends with english sports fans who travel australia regularly watching all sports from union, league, cricket etc

theyve been to the MCG and said the atmosphere is terrible.

Went to a lions game at the gabba in 09 worst atmosphere I have ever been in. Reeked of corporateness, very quiet and clearly mostly expat vics in the crowd.

Looks like showers for the city Friday onwards, hopefully it doesn't ruin the day

Canard

Immortal
The games aren`t even on Gem in Melbourne either and I don`t know why Gem stopped doing the games..BAD MOVE
I live here in sadelaide and I think the NRL gets a fair bit of coverage(do you have foxtel)?.I know lots of people here who have an interest in Rugby League and went to any game that has been played here.On the week end they have stories of NRL in the advertiser(just look in sporting section.
Brief mention of Alex Mckinnon ,..ARE YOU KIDDING? It was on the nightly
news for more than a week, couldn`t turn on the morning shows without hearing all about it.
Great to have another NRL supporter here in this backward town

They are on GEM in Melbourne.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Went to a lions game at the gabba in 09 worst atmosphere I have ever been in. Reeked of corporateness, very quiet and clearly mostly expat vics in the crowd.

Looks like showers for the city Friday onwards, hopefully it doesn't ruin the day

Yeah agreed! I have been to ONE Lions game, V Collingwood.

Think the crowd was 33,300 or so. Will. Never. Go. Again.

Left at three quarter time.

On the other hand, was lucky enough to be at the 2008 AFL grand final and it was bonkers.

georgesnmith

Juniors
as part of my membership at ANZ i get tickets for the swans games on the half way line 36 rows back

they are the only tickets i wont be using this year, ill even go and watch a big bash game

georgesnmith

Juniors
so last weekend one crowd of 43k, another of 50k

this friday probably two more crowds over 40k

getting used to this lol

#codeincrisis

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Well it seems after this weekend the only way to a 20,000 Ave is on the back of blockbusters with the "big 5"

The NRL needs to complete next years draw, and tell Ch 9 and Fox, that they are adding a marquee game anti siphoning list, the games on this list are scheduled by NRL not the broadcasters.

Much the same way as the ANZAC game is done at the moment...

This list just needs to have a dozen games on it,

The big 5 , Parra, Canterbury, Souths, St Geo and Tigers... all play each other twice, one game before origin one game after origin, none in the middle...

That makes 8 marquee games, then add a few others such as the 2 anzac day games, the opening south v easts, etc..

All those 8 games are to be played exclusively on Sunday at 3.30 pm @ ANZ... All have the $30 family ticket option, all have trains, all have shared gates etc.

With these set in stone, each year you would start to see that 50k turn up regularly... and it would urge the other teams such as Manly, cron, panthers, chooks to build their base so they could become involved.

Billythekid

First Grade
I'm not sure Perth will work all that well. Sure some crowds turn up with 2 games a year for the novalty factor but do you think they will turn up to every home game? If they are going to expand into Perth they better do it in the next 2 years. I just read Perth has announced its building a 60,000 seat $1 billion stadium to accomodate the wsiting lists of the West Coast Eagles and Fremantle sides. The stafium they have apparently can't accomodate all their fans each week. If they get in before this stadium is built maybe they can get a few of those suppprters who can't see a match

It's amazing how much stuff about the AFL you've just read. I guess you're attempting to be a bit subtle but we'll see how long that lasts.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I have just recently moved to Adelaide from Sydney. The one big thing I have noticed here is that most people don't actually know that their is a rugby league and union, they all think its the same game. The NRL really is going to be mission impossible expanding in this market. The other thing I have noticed is the media or people do not look upon the game as negative at all as the Sydney siders do of AFL. It's literally just not talked about down here

Nobody lives in Adelaide and its the least important market out of the five main capital cities so who gives a toss.

Chook Norris

First Grade
so last weekend one crowd of 43k, another of 50k

this friday probably two more crowds over 40k

getting used to this lol

#codeincrisis

The crowds are good, no doubt, but they were also to be expected given the period of the year we're in. How will crowds be in the weeks leading into, and through, Origin? IMO, the success of the NRL's policy on attendance growth shouldn't so much be analysed through the larger crowds but moreso through the smaller crowds. I think it's paramount that we no longer see crowds sub 10k. It's a shocking and unprofessional look. Not sure if it's been said in this thread, but I think the promotion of cheap family tickets are crucial towards crowd growth (along with season tickets ofc). 60% of the Tigers v Eels crowd being covered by family tickets is testament to that

note: not saying the 50k crowd was expected, it was fantastic and exceeded expectations. However, I think fans saying last round was proof crowds are great are simply wrong. If anything, the panthers v titans game 2 hours later proved there is so much work to do to bridge that gap between the small crowds and large crowds

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts