What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The same fixture last year got 17500 last year in perfect conditions on a Sunday arvo so that is a good indicator of what Monday and poor weather does to crowds. I'm not saying that this game would have gotten that this year because form plays a role but it would have at least got 10k

Exactly - credit to the fans who showed up

Put simply, Monday night games turn off fans and should go

reanimate

Bench
Manly are not a northern Sydney team, they are a manly / northern beaches team.
I wasn't saying Manly are from North Sydney, I was saying Manly are the last remaining of the two Northern Sydney teams, i.e. teams found North of Sydney's CBD- last time I checked the Northern Beaches were North of the CBD.
Manly had a chance to be a northern Sydney team and they killed it. I also believe northern Sydney should be represented but it should be represent by either Northern Eagles or the Northern Bears, preferably the last because atleast you know the last won't go back to manly when the going gets tough.
Well, the Bears aren't coming back at Manly's expense, the Roosters are aiming to partner up with the CC, so who is going to cover the North Shore? Eventually the NRL is going to clean up the idiocy surrounding this situation (i.e. Smith is looking at big restructures, maybe finally sorting this out will be one of them) and someone's going to be covering the market.

I am pretty sure I have gone through this with you before. If you are going to now crap on about the bears stopping manly from entering the north shore, you have tried that tune so don't bother with it again.
Last time you spoke about this all I did was point out what happened, Manly started to push into the NS, this was around the time the Bears had Gallop in their ear encouraging their bid, so they kicked up a massive stink about it and made doing so as hard and unpleasant as possible. Could Manly still be doing so? Probably, I don't know, but why go wasting cash on an investment you aren't sure is going to eventuate in anything (especially as Manly has been cash-strapped post-SL war), as the NRL hasn't yet shown any sort of leadership on the issue (i.e. Manly could spend up big year after year on pushing into the NS, only for the NRL to suddenly announce the Bears are in, rendering the cash they spent as a massive waste).

CC_Roosters

First Grade
We did average just shy of 20k last year and yes I know, we had round 1 and Anzac Day but in neither of those matches (or any other) did the away crowd even come close to us.

I've already said I can't fathom our crowds this year but the old away fans rubbish is tiresome.

Yeah we don't get the credit we deserve for our good crowds and cop the no fans rubbish when we get poor crowds.

I can live with Monday and Thursday nights if they are an exception to the draw and not the norm. But as is the case for the next 4 week we have 2 games per round on weekdays which is just unacceptable from a fans point of view. Maybe a dozen matches per year in total on Thursday or Monday would be acceptable. The reduction in mnf could be balanced by giving fox every game live.

user_nat

Coach
The same fixture last year got 17500 last year in perfect conditions on a Sunday arvo so that is a good indicator of what Monday and poor weather does to crowds. I'm not saying that this game would have gotten that this year because form plays a role but it would have at least got 10k

Last years crowd was far above the norm for the Roosters hosting the Titans though, so its hard to say that Monday/weather is the 11k difference..
Previous crowds were:
6,246 (Sunday)
10,762 (Friday)
6,232 (Gosford - Saturday)
9,113 (Monday)
8,134 (Friday)

Yeah we don't get the credit we deserve for our good crowds and cop the no fans rubbish when we get poor crowds.

I can live with Monday and Thursday nights if they are an exception to the draw and not the norm. But as is the case for the next 4 week we have 2 games per round on weekdays which is just unacceptable from a fans point of view. Maybe a dozen matches per year in total on Thursday or Monday would be acceptable. The reduction in mnf could be balanced by giving fox every game live.

In the late 90's we got 30k for a game against Manly and 27k against the Broncos on Monday nights purely because there was a novelty element involved.

I didn't get to go last night as I couldn't get out of the office in time. I'm probably going to take annual leave for the Thursday Souffs clash to make sure I don't miss out.

Last edited:

CC_Roosters

First Grade
In the late 90's we got 30k for a game against Manly and 27k against the Broncos on Monday nights purely because there was a novelty element involved.

I didn't get to go last night as I couldn't get out of the office in time. I'm probably going to take annual leave for the Thursday Souffs clash to make sure I don't miss out.

I miss attending most of our games the bunnies as it seems permanantly fixed to thursday nights these days. If we played them on a saturday night at moore park it would be a near sellout imo

guyver78

Juniors
I miss attending most of our games the bunnies as it seems permanantly fixed to thursday nights these days. If we played them on a saturday night at moore park it would be a near sellout imo

I very much doubt the Roosters v Bunnies game this season will go too far past 20K on a Thursday night in Round 26.

guyver78

Juniors
I don't even think we'll beat the 16K average.

* The Broncos only have 2 more home games.
* Usual large crowd pullers Bunnies v Dogs & Bunnies v Roosters are both on a Thursday night.
* Eels v Dogs on this Friday night whilst a game very few people give a shit about in Manly v Titans on a Sunday afternoon on 9.
* Tigers, Dogs and even the Knights to a certain extent are teams who usually draw the bigger crowds just not getting it done this year (2 already out of the finals race)
* Looking at the remainder of the draw I doubt any team besides the Broncos will even crack 30K. Unless ofcourse Manly starts losing and Rabbitohs and Roosters are playing for the minor premiership again (highly unlikely this year)

So to say we'll beat last years average is a bit of a PIPE DREAM as the Americans put it.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I very much doubt the Roosters v Bunnies game this season will go too far past 20K on a Thursday night in Round 26.

Being at allianz i still think it will hit 30k+. Mini's last home game and plenty of away support should guarantee that despite the night

guyver78

Juniors
exactly! theres no answer, the fans just need to be more passionate and turn up

Really?? I convinced 2 people to buy a Souths membership this year and so far they have only turned up to 4 games. Not because they're any less passionate then anybody here but when you get stung with 6 Monday/Thursday night games, the rest on Friday then people are simply voting with their feet.

Now they wont be renewing their memberships next year for that reason and that's 2 less people at ANZ next year...

guyver78

Juniors
Being at allianz i still think it will hit 30k+. Mini's last home game and plenty of away support should guarantee that despite the night

Oh forgot about that, Mini's last game...then MAYBE given that the weather is good but i'd be betting the other way...

cleary89

Coach
We needed the money this tv rights deal. Hopefully next one they give more of a shit about fans, crowds and membership rather than just the money. The end of first and last rights helps and so does having 250m in a future fund.

Has a GC titans away game reached 10k?

Yes, in their away matches against the following teams.

Storm, Broncos, Souths, Knights and Cowboys.

Another reason for the big crowd last year against the Titans last year was because it was the match where they expected the Roosters to claim the minor premiership.

If the weather is fine, I think it will draw around 30,000

127337-8b068ce6-21f3-11e4-9066-0beb7f687196.jpg

LineBall

Juniors
Interesting.

Personally my ideal schedule would be, every game live and simulcast on Fox/Nine.

One TNF game

Two FNF games

3pm, 5pm, 7pm games on Saturday

1pm, 3pm, 5pm games on Sunday.

OR have 2-3 3pm Sunday games kind of like in the NFL.

IF your aim is to maximise crowds, then the less night football the better.

IF your aim is to maximise crowds, then the less night football the better.

Understandable for Monday night but for friday/Saturday should be one a least. I got no problem with night games is the league community afraid of the dark as the rest of world sport do well at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.