What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

crowd watch 2014 part IV

guyver78

Juniors
No neutrals?

Ofcourse there was a few neutrals but the ratio of Souths to Dogs supporters was about 70-30.

Was very surprising since Dogs supporters usually turn out in numbers. They had the posts on the northern end & a few patches of blue & white here & there but that's it.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Ofcourse there was a few neutrals but the ratio of Souths to Dogs supporters was about 70-30.

Was very surprising since Dogs supporters usually turn out in numbers. They had the posts on the northern end & a few patches of blue & white here & there but that's it.

In July when tickets went on sale Souths were 2 or 3, Dogs dropped to 6 or 7. By R26 nobody would've tipped us to be there. As a result Bunnies fans would've had their tickets long long ago. Most Dogs fans would've purchased this week.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I am hearing
NRL 3.95 + NZ
AFL 3.72

Hope that's correct

yep thats correct...

funny how the old rule used to be if storm made GF , NRL wins, if swans make GF AFL win

but now the non-heartland states really seem to be tuning in regardless,

AFL night GF cant be far off I reckon, it obviously has an impact...

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
The AFL GF being over at HT also had a large impact on their peak and average ratings.

The night AFL GF will surely come and be successful, though a lot of Victorians will be outraged.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Now that the season is over we can look at each teams crowds, who is doing well, who is doing not so well.

Brisbane - 33,354. Did very well to get a gain of about 10% reclaiming what they lost the year before.
Souths - 19,888. 2nd straight year of being number 1 in Sydney.
Parra - 18,788. Considering they've been out of the finals for 5 years their crowds have been brilliant.
Newcastle - 17,616. Very good considering they were contending for the spoon.
NZ - 17,131. Their highest averages since 1996. Brilliant again.
St George - 16,056. Good considering their results.

The poor crowds:
Canterbury - 15,425. Not good enough for a big top 8 team.

Melbourne - 14,824. Big loss from over 16k the year before. Not good enough. I worry for them if they stop being finals contenders.

NQ - 14,613. From 2005 to 2009 they were never below 17k. Since 2009 they haven't gone above 15k. Long term crowd decline is not good.

Easts - 14,102. How on earth do you lose over 5000 from your average the year after a premiership and when you get another minor premiership. The most disappointing of the lot.

Gold Coast - 13,194. They've kept their streak going. Their SIXTH straight year of crowd decline. Unbelievable. 6 years ago they had 21,000. Insane.

Wests - 13,104. Their 2nd lowest crowd since 2002. Relatively understandable given their struggles, but not good enough.

Cronulla - 12,631. All things considered, can't criticize them.

Manly - 12,613. Their worst crowds since 2004. This is almost as bad as Easts. The most successful team of this era with 10 straight finals campaigns should be so much better than this.

Penrith - 11,462. Another crowd that is no where near good enough for a top 4 team.

Canberra - 9,608. Their worst crowds since 2001. No matter what your results, no team should average below 10k in this day and age.

DIOGENES

Juniors
Yes you wonder what the SMH's game is

I am hearing 184k in NZ

NRL > AFL by ~ 400k

Will AFL go to a night final - maybe but they are so bound up by tradition that it won't be easy.

Victorians are funny people. I was having a gentle tussle with my Melbourne bred brother in law about the two codes. It ended with him getting heated and saying "my family has supported Essendon since 1897". He couldn't undestand why I thought this funny.

Latest posts