What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I think the crowds will pick itself up next week.

And whilst 19,000 isnt too bad for yesterdays Dragons/Tigers game, how many people knew, aside from Dragons/Tigers fans, that the game was at ANZ Stadium?

Since the NRL/Nine an easy ride with 44 Friday night games per year, why not just give them home games every round as well? Will help with the crowd averages, and also might allow the Broncs to squeeze into the top 12 in 2014.

Valheru

Coach
And for the people who say Souths/Easts should've been at Allianz, we have been alternating home grounds for the opener since 2005.

I don’t think they mean the wrong ground as in souths not hosting the game, it was obviously your turn to host. The point is that unless it is a finals game or some other extraordinary circumstance, chooks/souths at SFS will always outdraw ANZ and by some margin.

Springs

First Grade
The NRL needs to step in.

They basically forced the Dragons to move 4 games to big venues as part of their "right game, right venue" strategy, right? And I actually support it.

But by the same token, Souths vs Roosters should never be at ANZ. Ever. They need to step in and ensure we always play that game at SFS, you can alternate the home team and share revenue like Dragons:Roosters ANZAC

Never? Not even with they can get 60,000 there for I don't know, a minor premiership decider? :?

Brutus

Referee
"David Gallop showed his old boss John Grant how to fill a stadium"

Guess which plonker wrote that on page 66 of the Telegraph today.

Brutus

Referee
The same idiot has no firm views on anything.

One year he is calling games to be taken to the bigger stadiums then the next year he's saying "long live suburban football."

franklin2323

Immortal
I think the crowds will pick itself up next week.

And whilst 19,000 isnt too bad for yesterdays Dragons/Tigers game, how many people knew, aside from Dragons/Tigers fans, that the game was at ANZ Stadium?

Even if they did EVERY Sydney team played in Sydney. ANZ only works in neutrals turn up Round 1 when your team is playing elsewhere that won't happen. Give it a month or so and see where the crowds sit

Saint Doc

Coach
Never? Not even with they can get 60,000 there for I don't know, a minor premiership decider? :?

Yeah fair point but I would still make this game permanently in Moore Park.

That was the biggest reg season crowd of all time wasn't it?

It was a perfect storm.

I think 99/100, 44,000 will be adequate capacity.

Get a culture of sellouts for this season opener

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Punters are voting with their feet - people don't like ANZ unless they absolutely have to go, ie finals, GF, Origin, when you think your team will win the minor premiership.

The crowds at the other stadiums are par for the course.
Souths/Roosters was the only let down at ANZ given the previous fixture drew in 59k.

Bulldogs v Broncos was a 7k improvement on previous... and Saints/Tigers drew a shade under 20k - a figure no longer possible at either Kogarah or Wollongong.

The NRL needs to step in.

They basically forced the Dragons to move 4 games to big venues as part of their "right game, right venue" strategy, right? And I actually support it.

But by the same token, Souths vs Roosters should never be at ANZ. Ever. They need to step in and ensure we always play that game at SFS, you can alternate the home team and share revenue like Dragons:Roosters ANZAC

They got it right it seems, 19,860 wouldn't have fit in either ground.

As for Souths/Roosters - I agree with that, but I doubt ANZ would let it happen under their current deal.

"David Gallop showed his old boss John Grant how to fill a stadium"

Guess which plonker wrote that on page 66 of the Telegraph today.

:lol: Poor Buzz.

I wonder if he looked at the ratings. 313,000 tuned in to see Manly v Melbourne, but only 94,000 watched the A-League at the same time.

That's TRIPLE the audience. LOL

Saint Doc

Coach
Souths/Roosters was the only let down at ANZ given the previous fixture drew in 59k.

Bulldogs v Broncos was a 7k improvement on previous... and Saints/Tigers drew a shade under 20k - a figure no longer possible at either Kogarah or Wollongong.

As for Souths/Roosters - I agree with that, but I doubt ANZ would let it happen under their current deal.

I wonder if he looked at the ratings. 313,000 tuned in to see Manly v Melbourne, but only 94,000 watched the A-League at the same time.

Souths should be able to do it. They take games to Perth, Gosford etc. So their contract must only be for 10 games ANZ.

Every 2nd year make the Gosford game a manly home game, and take the roosters game to SFS?

What are the capacity's of the Saints other grounds? I thought they were both about 22k? I agree 100% with the point you are trying to make though.

I do wonder at what point the naysayers would actually accept that it was a good move? 10% above "other home ground capacity"?, 20%, 30%?

ek999

First Grade
Lol Rothfield. Anyone that says this

9) Boom Broncos winger Lachlan Maranta should play State of Origin this year.

Should not be able to write

Saint Doc

Coach
What are the capacity's of the Saints other grounds? I thought they were both about 22k? I agree 100% with the point you are trying to make though.

I do wonder at what point the naysayers would actually accept that it was a good move? 10% above "other home ground capacity"?, 20%, 30%?

Kogarah 21k
Wollongong 23.5k apparently but untested, haven't had a sellout since the new stand completed

papabear

Juniors
you miss out on the 5k tigers fans that got in on membership free rights, if you put that at Kogarah, and for me anz is easier to get to.

if you worry about it on tv, then perhaps tv should show the shadey side of the crowd not the sunny side.

BunniesMan

Immortal
St George Illawarra fans complaining about having to travel to ANZ Stadium to see their team play games should consider whether they would prefer not to have a team to watch at all.

Or at least one that is able to compete with the NRL's financial powerhouses such as Brisbane, South Sydney, Sydney Roosters and Canterbury.

For the same reason that Wests Tigers began playing a third of their home games away from Campbelltown and Leichhardt in 2005, the Dragons have reduced the number of premiership fixtures at Kogarah and Wollongong from six each to four and moved their other four games to bigger venues.

Playing at suburban venues, where clubs often pay tens of thousands of dollars in hirers fees, isn't as profitable as taking matches to ANZ Stadium or Allianz Stadium, and St George District RLFC last year fell behind in rent to Kogarah Council by more than $250,000.

Advertisement
At ANZ Stadium, the Dragons receive a guaranteed income for each match, with added incentives to encourage them to grow attendances as South Sydney and Canterbury have done since moving there.

The Dragons, who have reduced staff this season, are also able to save costs as the bigger venues handle ticketing and other operations.

While crowd figures for the opening round of NRL matches were disappointing, the 19,860 fans who watched the Dragons thump Wests 44-24 on Sunday afternoon would have just squeezed into the 20,500 capacity WIN Jubilee Stadium - and nowhere near as comfortably, as the Kogarah venue only has 8500 seats.

WIN Stadium in Wollongong has a 23,000 capacity but seats just 13,000.

With reciprocal ticketing deals for each other's members, St George Illawarra and Wests Tigers hope that the 14,000 crowds they both averaged over the past two seasons will soon translate to attendances of 28,000 when they play each other, and continue to grow.

Other clubs who play at ANZ Stadium have similar arrangements when their teams meet and the Dragons and Rabbitohs also have a gate sharing deal.

Gone are the days of most clubs being able to rely on leagues club funding and the Dragons were last year forced to ask the NRL for an advance of up to $1 million after their annual grant from St George Leagues Club was slashed from $2.5 million in 2011 to $550,000.

At ANZ Stadium on Sunday, St George Illawarra managed to fill every corporate suite in the western grandstand and demand for their next home match there against the Bulldogs on May 11 is expected to be even greater.

Already, there are expectations of a crowd of about 30,000 for the Mothers Day clash if both teams are in reasonable form.

If they are able to achieve that prediction, the Dragons will be well on the way to fulfilling the NRL's aim to have average crowds of 20,000 per match - a target only Brisbane (30,480), Souths (22,261), Canterbury (19,590) and Sydney Roosters (19,368) met or came close to meeting last year.

Those four clubs played all their home games at large stadiums with facilities that modern sports fans around the world have now come to expect, such as comfortable seating, access to bars and restaurants and, in the case of ANZ Stadium, a reliable and free wi-fi service.

While there has been a lot of hype around the proposal to roof the former Olympic stadium, which celebrated the 15th anniversary of its opening last Thursday, the priority of the recently released masterplan for the venue is the ability to move seating into a rectangular configuration close to the sidelines.

Until then, club matches at ANZ stadium will struggle to match the atmosphere like the one at Brookvale Oval on Saturday night, where 14,200 fans packed in to watch Manly lose a 23-22 golden point thriller to Melbourne.

But Fairfax Media was told more than 8000 of those were either season ticket holders or corporate sponsors - leaving the Sea Eagles with little room to increase revenue through the gate.

As memberships for NRL grow, grounds such as Brookvale or Kogarah will eventually be unable to accommodate their teams - particularly for bigger matches against other Sydney clubs.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-and-sense-for-nrl-clubs-20140310-hvgtm.html

Brilliant article explaining why suburban archaic rustbuckets will increasingly just not belong in the 21st century. You can't acheive 20k a year crowd averages (and the extra money that comes with that) in the suburbs.

Last edited:
Just wanted to apologise for being rude last night when posting, especially to Timmah.

Heat of the moment got me.

Not acceptable, not an excuse, so sorry.

As for the crowds, I don't what the f*** can be done.

I pretty much offered up 6 FREE tix to Souths and Chooks fans - some of the hard core of the core they tell me - and still they sat on their arses at home in front of the telly.

Each to their own I guess.

I go. I can't force others.

newman

First Grade
Just wanted to apologise for being rude last night when posting, especially to Timmah.

Heat of the moment got me.

Not acceptable, not an excuse, so sorry.

As for the crowds, I don't what the f*** can be done.

I pretty much offered up 6 FREE tix to Souths and Chooks fans - some of the hard core of the core they tell me - and still they sat on their arses at home in front of the telly.

Each to their own I guess.

I go. I can't force others.

I have a box at ANZ. Couldn't give the tickets away with free piss!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts