What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaraSassypants

Juniors
Is questioning the crowd difference trolling? I assume you're one of millions who has little idea what trolling is.

I don't expect 30k+ crowds week in and week out for Souths, but for a season opener between traditional rivals, I and most likely many expected a higher crowd. That's all. To sweep it under the rug because of other crowd figures for the round is just trying to shift the blame.

Only used the 2012 crowd as an example that there are little excuses to use given that it was the same timeslot.

It was a Thursday night in Homebush with an 8pm kickoff. What family is gonna go to a game at that time. I didn't get home till 11pm as I'm sure was the story for most. SFS on Thursday was fine as it was in the city, a walk from work and a central location to most fans. Same sh!t different year with clowns like you. It's like reason never enters your minds or you just choose to ignore it.

georgesnmith

Juniors
Does it make you feel smart to talk to me like that?

Simple question: Was the timeslot enough to turn 32k away? Hence, why I said I don't expect 30k+. I know there are ticketed members, hell, I know plenty who aren't ticketed. They averaged something like 22k last year, that's brilliant but for the SEASON OPENER between TRADITIONAL RIVALS, it's a poor crowd when they pulled almost 60k.

Clearly, you're missing the entire point of my debate.

ive been watching rugby league in sydney since the 1980s

27k is a fine crowd if you ask me. could it have been higher ? sure. but 27k for a thursday night with the game live on TV and good tickets $45 - 70 what do you expect?

souths will end up with being top 3 in terms of attendances

should they apologise because they are so succesful selling non ticketed memberships? should they just give the money back?

souths crowds are fine. i wish every other sydney club could average what they do (dogs do so ignore them)

Swarzey

Bench
ive been watching rugby league in sydney since the 1980s

27k is a fine crowd if you ask me. could it have been higher ? sure. but 27k for a thursday night with the game live on TV and good tickets $45 - 70 what do you expect?

souths will end up with being top 3 in terms of attendances

should they apologise because they are so succesful selling non ticketed memberships? should they just give the money back?

souths crowds are fine. i wish every other sydney club could average what they do (dogs do so ignore them)

f**k me dead, you're useless to talk to :lol:

All I'm doing is questioning the 32k difference. Completely different topic to selling memberships, annual crowd figures. Never said anything like that until you brought it up. Nor did I ever say I expect the same crowd to come out.

Just the circumstances deserve a bigger turnout.

georgesnmith

Juniors
f**k me dead, you're useless to talk to :lol:

All I'm doing is questioning the 32k difference. Completely different topic to selling memberships, annual crowd figures. Never said anything like that until you brought it up. Nor did I ever say I expect the same crowd to come out.

Just the circumstances deserve a bigger turnout.

But when you have a club that promotes itself on having the biggest membership base, when it views itself as the most popular in the league, yet only pulls 27k for a traditional rivalry and season opener, questions have to be asked especially after the turnout for the Minor Premiership. Knights vs Dragons in 2012 pulled almost 30k, no excuse for the "pride of the league" to have a lower crowd.

bit in bold

Swarzey

Bench
bit in bold

Realised as I walked away :lol: Massive apologies.

I meant it as you've got a fan base that has come out for big matches, but given the circumstances, I just expected them to come out. It's easy for some fans to sit back and criticise other crowds, but when their team didn't pull what it perhaps should of, it doesn't paint the picture any better.

franklin2323

Immortal
Traffic is not that bad on a Saturday in Penrith.

Not sure where you live but take a drive about midday from Penrith station along Station St past the Stadium & Jamison Park.

Then do the same down past Westfield & Mulgoa Rd. Cars will be lined up getting into Westfields and around the tennis courts there. I avoid that area for this reason.

Not saying traffic keeps them away but the netball, soccer games etc that cause that traffic won't not be there because footy's on. 7.30 start that's finished leaves them people to atleast have the option to goo.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Flights, hotel and tickets bought for storm opening game next Saturday. $2k to attend a game lol! Can't wait. Should get to games in Perth, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane this year. Going to try to get to Newcastle as well hopefully. Will be much cheaper when we get a team!

Big Sam

First Grade
Putting Thursday night in context - Rd1 between Souths and Easts at ANZ:

2006 - 17k (Sunday afternoon)
2008 - 29k (Friday night)
2010 - 24k (Sunday afternoon)
2012 - 18k (Monday night)
2014 - 27k (Thursday night)

Billythekid

First Grade
It's kinda hard trying to retroactively justify the 27K crowd considering the expectations and predictions for the game. Apparently being played on a Thursday meant we were never going to get more than 27K. Well then why didn't anyone actually predict that beforehand? Most in here seemed to be predicting more like 35-40K with some going even a decent bit higher than that. As far as i was aware they were expecting something more in the 35-40K range as well.

Now after the fact apparently that's all we could ever expect for such a game. It's not the end of the world, it's round 1 and we may end up breaking the records for crowds this year, who knows. Doesn't change the fact that 27K for souths v roosters was incredibly disappointing.

unforgiven

Bench
Not sure where you live but take a drive about midday from Penrith station along Station St past the Stadium & Jamison Park.

Then do the same down past Westfield & Mulgoa Rd. Cars will be lined up getting into Westfields and around the tennis courts there. I avoid that area for this reason.

Not saying traffic keeps them away but the netball, soccer games etc that cause that traffic won't not be there because footy's on. 7.30 start that's finished leaves them people to atleast have the option to goo.

Mate, I live in Kingswood and regularly drive down station street on a Saturday afternoon, it takes about 5 mins, yes it's busy but hardly anything to worry about.

Flapper

First Grade
I live in Glenmore Park and Mulgoa Rd is an absolute shitfight on Saturdays. Not that I think that will put people off going to the footy alone.

franklin2323

Immortal
I live in Glenmore Park and Mulgoa Rd is an absolute shitfight on Saturdays. Not that I think that will put people off going to the footy alone.

If they can get out of what they are doing to make the road busy of course not. Though most can't so they simply can't attend the games. Before they game last week I had swimming lessons & dancing still made it but was a turd.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The average will be lower this weekend but I think that's purely down to scheduling rather than any disappointing crowds. As I showed a page or two back, the comparisons to the same fixtures in previous years have generally been favourable.

Expect a huge boost this weekend coming...

Manly/Souths @ Gosford = 16-19k
Broncos/Cowboys @ Suncorp = 40-45k
Warriors/Dragons @ Eden Park = 20-25k
Storm/Panthers @ AAMI Park = 15-20k
Roosters/Eels @ Allianz = 15k
Titans/Tigers @ Cbus = 15k
Knights/Raiders @ Hunter = 20k
Dogs/Sharks @ ANZ = 15k

141k right there.

Danish

Referee
I agree day footy is of a better standard back in the day but locally it doesn't work Sat night is the slot. Until 2005 I sat in the Eastern Stand now with kids simply can't as the direct sunlight for hours is insane

He lives not in the local area the traffic is worse then a weekday on Saturdays especially around the stadium. nor does he needs to put up with the blazing sun on the Eastern side anyone (ask anyone that's been to day games at Penrith)

Add to that. Kids sport, people still work, good luck getting in to Westfields around midday. I dare say most areas are the same hence Sat arvo's are really a poor time to have games on.

We will get a gauge over the season but I dare say won't be much higher then Monday night games.

All fair points, but again perhaps Gould and the panthers are more interested in getting slots that work well for their performance instead of gate takings.

The roosters used to obsess over crowds and take games to all sorts of places in the hopes of boosting numbers at the detriment to on field performance. This culminated in the Darwin debacle. Now they just play all 12 at home and have focused on getting the squad winning, and our crowds are better for it.

Penrith winning game regularly will increase numbers. It's as simple as that. The task is then to convert as any of those attending as possible to members so they are more likely to keep coming back if/when they to through a poor season

taipan

Referee
All these journos getting their t*ts in a knot.
Let's draw comparisons for the 3 prior years.

2013 Rd 1
The Broncos were at home,
Roosters at SFS
Knights at Newcastle

2012 Rd 1 Warriors v Eagles Eden Park
Newcastle v Dragons at Newcastle

2011 Rd1
Broncos v Cowboys at Bronco's home
Roosters Alliance
Warriors Eden Park

All these above games were big NRL supported clubs at their big stadiums.
For any goose to compare having the bulk of the games in Sydney (1 on a Thursday night)with the above is plain dumb.

100,000 attended NRL games in Sydney rd 1 this year regardless and that leaves the biggest A league derby and the only one here ,still well behind,without daring to mention TV ratings.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
All these journos getting teir t*ts in a knot.

it's because they love writing negative articles

if the crowd average was 50k they would hold a group meeting at News Corp to discuss something else they could be negative about

not one of them actually likes the game of Rugby League

Punters are voting with their feet - people don't like ANZ unless they absolutely have to go, ie finals, GF, Origin, when you think your team will win the minor premiership.

The crowds at the other stadiums are par for the course.

franklin2323

Immortal
All fair points, but again perhaps Gould and the panthers are more interested in getting slots that work well for their performance instead of gate takings.

The roosters used to obsess over crowds and take games to all sorts of places in the hopes of boosting numbers at the detriment to on field performance. This culminated in the Darwin debacle. Now they just play all 12 at home and have focused on getting the squad winning, and our crowds are better for it.

Penrith winning game regularly will increase numbers. It's as simple as that. The task is then to convert as any of those attending as possible to members so they are more likely to keep coming back if/when they to through a poor season

Winning will no doubt help. Round 1 2011 we drew 9k v Bulldogs in rain. Last year day game in mid 30's temps out of town opponent 10k. Very similar conditions 11k this year.

So we have improved crowds. We have 8k ticketed members so 11k should be the bare minimum more will come when timeslots permit. Form will see people shuffle things around to fit these less then ideal timeslots.

It's not just like that for us. As long as teams average over ticketed members and crowds go up it's all that matters... Though the meltdowns form PR and others will be funny to watch

Saint Doc

Coach
The NRL needs to step in.

They basically forced the Dragons to move 4 games to big venues as part of their "right game, right venue" strategy, right? And I actually support it.

But by the same token, Souths vs Roosters should never be at ANZ. Ever. They need to step in and ensure we always play that game at SFS, you can alternate the home team and share revenue like Dragons:Roosters ANZAC

All these journos getting their t*ts in a knot.
Let's draw comparisons for the 3 prior years.

2013 Rd 1
The Broncos were at home,
Roosters at SFS
Knights at Newcastle

2012 Rd 1 Warriors v Eagles Eden Park
Newcastle v Dragons at Newcastle

2011 Rd1
Broncos v Cowboys at Bronco's home
Roosters Alliance
Warriors Eden Park

All these above games were big NRL supported clubs at their big stadiums.
For any goose to compare having the bulk of the games in Sydney (1 on a Thursday night)with the above is plain dumb.

100,000 attended NRL games in Sydney rd 1 this year regardless and that leaves the biggest A league derby and the only one here ,still well behind,without daring to mention TV ratings.

Hang on. Everyone is saying that the 27k on Thursday night at ANZ is a fail, yet you are throwing up a 27k crowd at Allianz as a reason why prior year round 1 crowds were better :crazy:

The reality is that if you don't have a Broncos home game in a particular round, then the average is likely to be pretty poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts