What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
"David Gallop showed his old boss John Grant how to fill a stadium"

Guess which plonker wrote that on page 66 of the Telegraph today.

He might take credit for big crowds thats been happening in the past 3 years but what does he do about poor crowd behaviour and racist remarks.

georgesnmith

Juniors
I'm warming to the idea of several clubs using ANZ for big matches, providing both sets of members are given entry.

It's been brought to my attention though that the Dragons V Bulldogs game on mothers day is not included in the Dogs membership, making the whole thing pointless.

May as well play it at Kogarah, it aint getting near 30K if only 1 set of members are allowed in.

you sure about that

tigers members got in yesteday for free for our home game at anz

georgesnmith

Juniors
and lol at making souths lose their home ground advantage just for the sake of a better crowd

as a saints fan i was dead set against moving our first semi away from kogarah vs the eels ....

though fat lot of good it did anyway

:lol:

guyver78

Juniors
I blame the "Thursday night" more than ANZ personally, and its South's home game so they can play it where ever they want.

I wonder if the League has ever considered a 2 week "opening round". Kick it off on a Saturday night out at ANZ with just the two teams (in this case the Roosters and Souths), and organise a massive festival around that out there with the other clubs, bands etc and promote the bejesus out it. Free entry to game for a member of any club.

Souths would probably draw bigger crowds IF they still played all their games at the SFS but there's no need to debate that since it wont be happening anytime soon.

guyver78

Juniors
and lol at making souths lose their home ground advantage just for the sake of a better crowd

:lol:

I think Souths would probably get slightly marginally better crowds if they hosted their home games at the SFS but that's all hypothetical now. I hated ANZ stadium at first but now I like it. There is a decent atmosphere there when you get 20,000 People + and if you're sitting in the Cat 1 reserved section then it's pretty good.

Behind the posts is shithouse tho, especially when there is only 12,000 people there on a cold winters saturday night against a team like the cowboys or Raiders for example.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Surburban rust bucket .... :lol: :lol:

More dribble from bunnyliar (BTW you posted recently that you were leaving the forum, what happened?)
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?p=9801719#post9801719

Kogarah is probably the newest ground in the NRL, with great public transport access as well, but seeing as you don't go to games maybe you would not know.

Geez there's some fact bending there.

I love Kogarah. Nice ground, love the hill, but you're kidding yourself about the rest. Sure, it's had a facelift (so have several other joints lately), but public transport is arguably better to most other grounds, including ANZ which has a station 200m from the gates.

The other part that makes Kogarah archaic, IMO, is the fact that unless you get there an hour before gates open, you're forced to park a minimum of 2km away and walk a shitlong distance. Compare this with ANZ which has a multilevel deck within 50m of the ground...

(that's not to say I'm against walking the distance btw, done it plenty of times. More that it would turn a family off going).

Either way, the proof is in the numbers. Kogarah averaged something like 12 or 13k last year if I recall correctly. You've already eclipsed that significantly with ONE game at ANZ!

Perth Red

Post Whore
I still think the way to go is a Sydney game of the week at ANZ on a Friday night. Make it the TV game. dvelop a footy precinct around the ground for pre and post match. Spend some decent marketing budget on hyping it up. Both clubs members get in for free and have a 50% discount voucher to bring a friend. Invite 20 schools every game to attend with kids in their playing jerseys, tour of the stadium, meet some players etc etc. Promote it to Sydneys's 2million tourists as an Australian cultural thing to do.

If we must use ANZ then turn it into a weekly must do Sydney event for locals and tourists.

georgesnmith

Juniors
I think Souths would probably get slightly marginally better crowds if they hosted their home games at the SFS but that's all hypothetical now. I hated ANZ stadium at first but now I like it. There is a decent atmosphere there when you get 20,000 People + and if you're sitting in the Cat 1 reserved section then it's pretty good.

Behind the posts is shithouse tho, especially when there is only 12,000 people there on a cold winters saturday night against a team like the cowboys or Raiders for example.

souths have the potential to become the default sydney side for all the neutral fans which have been lost to the game

i see their bumper stickers all over sydney, more than all other clubs combined tbh

if they can manage to win a title and with Russel crowe and the celebrity factor they could be getting crowds that are too big for Allianz.

i read somewhere that they have a lot of fans now who arent from the south sydney area.

they are one club that are breaking out of their traditional boundary due to their marketing

behind the posts go up the back and its ok, like row 50 or so

georgesnmith

Juniors
I still think the way to go is a Sydney game of the week at ANZ on a Friday night. Make it the TV game. dvelop a footy precinct around the ground for pre and post match. Spend some decent marketing budget on hyping it up. Both clubs members get in for free and have a 50% discount voucher to bring a friend. Invite 20 schools every game to attend with kids in their playing jerseys, tour of the stadium, meet some players etc etc. Promote it to Sydneys's 2million tourists as an Australian cultural thing to do.

If we must use ANZ then turn it into a weekly must do Sydney event for locals and tourists.

on sunday they had a kids play area, clowns etc.

20k isnt a bad base to building crowds up from

georgesnmith

Juniors
Geez there's some fact bending there.

I love Kogarah. Nice ground, love the hill, but you're kidding yourself about the rest. Sure, it's had a facelift (so have several other joints lately), but public transport is arguably better to most other grounds, including ANZ which has a station 200m from the gates.

The other part that makes Kogarah archaic, IMO, is the fact that unless you get there an hour before gates open, you're forced to park a minimum of 2km away and walk a shitlong distance. Compare this with ANZ which has a multilevel deck within 50m of the ground...

(that's not to say I'm against walking the distance btw, done it plenty of times. More that it would turn a family off going).

Either way, the proof is in the numbers. Kogarah averaged something like 12 or 13k last year if I recall correctly. You've already eclipsed that significantly with ONE game at ANZ!

never had much of a problem parking at kogarah and its free. ANZ is like$25 or so for the game.

the station isnt that far either.

Kogarah has had a massive facelift, its unrecognizable from the early 90s. should be used for our smaller games against out of town sides like canberra and cowboys

lockyno1

Post Whore
Any game at the Olympic Stadium would have to be a blockbuster for me to go! You get a better view on TV and you are not 100m away from the action! It is the single worst stadium for football in the country! Suncorp is much better, Aami is much better, etc. Olympic Stadium is an old, outdated stadium!

I will admit I am a Roosters seaon ticketholder who loves his club and watches most of their games live at the ground on game day. That said I did not go on Thursday night.

With my job I knew that day I would be stuck at work until around 7pm and as such getting to ANZ by 8pm would be unlikely as I work in the Sydney CBD. Also by Tursday, I'd worked 3 x 12 hour days that week so I did not want the additional hassle of getting hom from the ground, even though ANZ Stadium is closer to where I live than the SFS, knowing I had to go to work on Friday. So I went straight home. Hell last year I went, but I did not have the long work shifts that week and was able to take Friday off (sometiing not possible last week). I mean I have to leave home at around 7.00 am to get to work, so does anyone think getting home after 11.00 pm on a Thursday night is fine by me?

This is where the NRL, for years have created problems, by catering everything around the wants of their TV partners. Most night games (barring Mondays and the early Saturday night game) used to be scheduled for a 7.35 pm kick-off. Now days?! 8.00 pm or later! :crazy: If you have to work the next day, or have school aged kids, that is way too late.

I'm not saying it is the only cause as ticket prices can play a part too. For example, I just bought my ticket to the Round 3 Broncos v Roosters games at Suncorp Stadium and I almost fell over when I looked at their ticket prices. Whilst they have a range of prices (lowest was $29.00 for the "white" general admission ticket for an adult), try $79.00 for an adult category 1 ticket :shock: (PS, no I did not pay that - to me that is just highway robbery).

Finally I thought the marketing leading into round 1 was poor this year. I saw very little on TV nor heard much on radio either in terms of advertising.

guyver78

Juniors
Any game at the Olympic Stadium would have to be a blockbuster for me to go! You get a better view on TV and you are not 100m away from the action! It is the single worst stadium for football in the country! Suncorp is much better, Aami is much better, etc. Olympic Stadium is an old, outdated stadium!

The SFS is much better but ANZ stadium is honestly not that bad. if you're sitting anywhere between the 30metre lines about 12 Rows or so back then the View is pretty good.

lockyno1

Post Whore
The SFS is much better but ANZ stadium is honestly not that bad. if you're sitting anywhere between the 30metre lines about 12 Rows or so back then the View is pretty good.

Honestly what stadium in NSW is worse? It is shocking to get there, there is nothing around the stadium!

guyver78

Juniors
Honestly what stadium in NSW is worse? It is shocking to get there, there is nothing around the stadium!

Well yeah if you put it like that then it's true. Its out in the middle of nowhere, public transport there is OK but still a hassle to get there because of distance, there is nothing in terms of shops around the stadium.

The venue itself isn't that bad tho depending on where you're sitting to all those complaining about the ground. What would you prefer as an opposition supporter in the middle of July on a cold Saturday night? A seat in Aisle 105/106 at ANZ or to stand on a cold crappy hill for 2 hours at Brookvale, Kograh or even Leichhardt oval??

lockyno1

Post Whore
Well yeah if you put it like that then it's true. Its out in the middle of nowhere, public transport there is OK but still a hassle to get there because of distance, there is nothing in terms of shops around the stadium.

The venue itself isn't that bad tho depending on where you're sitting to all those complaining about the ground. What would you prefer as an opposition supporter in the middle of July on a cold Saturday night? A seat in Aisle 105/106 at ANZ or to stand on a cold crappy hill for 2 hours at Brookvale, Kograh or even Leichhardt oval??

I'd rather be at Kograh, Leichhardt, or Brookie easil over ANZ. It is woeful to watch football at. You are too far away. Add to that there are hardly any pubs around the stadium. Whilst I don't drink much, I like to have 1-2 before a game!

Valheru

Coach
Thats because it's a lot easier for Souths/Opposition supporters to turn up to the SFS then the other way around. Out of the 36,000 supporters that turned up to last year's Rd 1 game a good 15,000 would have been souths supporters. If 15,000 Roosters supporters had turned up then we would have had almost 40,000 on Thursday night.

Exactly, so you recognise that the SFS would be a better fit for souths. They can play home games where they want but deal with the fact that crowds at ANZ will continually disappoint and stop blaming the roosters and other clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts