What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
Why should the media choose who we hear from? I would much rather hear from Dylan Walker then Burgess etc. Did they try & get someone else? Seems like they didn't get Burgess & sooked.

Compare the treatment RL gets from the media to what NFL/NBA get.... No way will the media get the same treatment when they bag like they do.

As for players I have never be snubbed by a player if you ask them nicely you will get photos etc.. Though I don't write lies about them so that helps

BranVan3000

Coach
Yeah you watch the NBA and NFL and the media there feels completely in sync with the sports. They don't have their media deriding the game at every step, posting #codeincrisis every opportunity and commentators calling every rule and referee decision into question

Big Sam

First Grade
Why should the media choose who we hear from? I would much rather hear from Dylan Walker then Burgess etc. Did they try & get someone else? Seems like they didn't get Burgess & sooked.

Kent used the line that "we're not offering George up" all last season. And for good reason too because you can already see that they'll ask him BS questions about Sam's move to RU and the like, and they will then manufacture a story from one comment instead of hyping up what is re-becoming a great rivalry between Souths and Manly.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I couldn't think of anything less interesting than listening to or reading anything any rugby league player thnks. Good on SBW and SB for not spreading their inanity,

georgesnmith

Juniors
the ARLC, clubs and players should grant interviews to journalists who are positive on rugby league

the journos who are continually negative should be given no stories at all or just banned from covering the game

they dont realize how much damage the media is doing to their brand,

Just ban all News Ltd journos from covering the game for a season

the disparity between how most "league" jurnos treat the sport and AFL treat their is amazing

AFL journos go out of their way to defend it, sweeping stuff under the carpet

most league journos, you get the feeling they get a lot of joy from sticking the boot in

Big Sam

First Grade
The comparison to the US is incorrect because of the amount of media outlets there. There's multiple cable sports news networks, multiple newspapers, and multiple tv stations. If one of them pisses off a club/comp they'll be blacklisted and never contacted again because there are multiple options.

Here though media outlets can afford to be pricks because they know that with just one pay TV provider, 2 city newspapers, and 3 (big) TV stations, a comp has few options and will eventually need them.

gronkathon

First Grade
NFL has Adam Schefter
NRL has Danny Weidler

One is a journo who reports facts and rumours without a specific agenda.

The other is a ranga who lives in a townhouse near Khoder Nasser's colon

guyver78

Juniors
Brisbane v Cowboys 41k
Manly v Souths 17k
Warriors v Dragons 24k
Melbourne v Penrith 18k
Roosters v Parra 16k
Gold Coast v Tigers 14k
Newcastle v Canberra 17k
Bulldogs v Cronulla 16k

Hmmm Don't know mate. I bought mine on the 28th of Feb and pax was 1100. Anyone bought tix to the Manly v Souths at Gosford this Friday night? Latest PAX?

The fact that you can select "Manly Reserved" on ticketek and buy 3 tickets smack bang right on the 50 meter line doesn't look very good.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Kent has a point but he hasn't communicated it eloquently or made it seem like the problem it actually is - he resembles more of an angry man yelling obscenities in the street.

I think Brent Read or someone else in one of the other rags communicated it best - the issue surrounds in-house club media. As fans, we're constantly complaining the media only represents the code poorly, doesn't look out for its best interests etc.

The advent of social media & online portals for clubs i.e. Broncos TV, Bulldogs TV etc... that's killing parts of traditional journos jobs. The clubs then get all the good news stories, publish them in-house for fans to consume directly... as a result, challenging questions are sometimes unasked, or if they're asked, go unanswered.

That then leaves the journos (rightly or wrongly) to make up their own mind, and leaves them with limited positives to chase.

I'm not defending them but there's clearly some issue at hand here and it needs fixing so we can promote the game better.

Chook

First Grade
As with all Noise Corp keyboard tappers, Paul Kent craves relevance. His line about wanting SBW rubbed out for more time and that that ruffled feathers at the Roosters screams "look at me look at me". He actually thinks clubs take notice of what he says when in fact they couldn't care less.

Chook.

Garbler

Juniors
Yeah you watch the NBA and NFL and the media there feels completely in sync with the sports. They don't have their media deriding the game at every step, posting #codeincrisis every opportunity and commentators calling every rule and referee decision into question

This. The sport commentators over there seem to take their job seriously & actually spend majority of their time analysing athletes & team performances, coaching styles etc..

Contrast that with the awkwardness & superficial attempts by Fitler, Johns or (insert generic ch9 personality) to engage in enthusiastic & articulate discussion on NRL or the parasitic appetite of the Kent, Massoud, Wilson, Hooper, Rothfield et all

Broadcast media (ch9) are a basket case of incompetence & I suspect under the table agreements.
Print media (News Ltd) are intent on destabilising the game that scorned their ownership.

Bring on the NRL media unit.

betcats

Referee
You guys are being very general with how you see the US sports media. IMO the main difference is the number of media outlets and the amount of access the clubs allow to their players etc. I don't see much of quality difference, I watch as much NBA as I can and its almost alays former players and coaches calling the game and pre and post game shows, they can be very awkward as well.

I also frequent a couple NBA forums and fans on there respect ESPN about as much as NRL fans respect channel 9 and news limited. Plenty of players dont like ESPN either, but they front up to the media even at halftime, they usually get the best player too(Lebron for example ive seen lots of halftime interviews) and a coach, and that just at halftime. You know why? Because the clubs have too or they get fined.

After an NBA game after a certain amount of time, the media is also let into the lockerroom to question players and coaches they also do a press conference after games as well....if you think this kind of access to players will not create more interest from fans then you are kidding yourself.

Last edited:

papabear

Juniors
If you are going to spend 50% of the time watching the screen you are better off staying home... That's my policy for all grounds. ANZ too far other grounds day games at Wollongong are the worse with the sun on the screen. If it's made a must see are super cheap you can put up with screen watching
when im high up and behind the sticks I don't watch the big screen at all except for video ref decisions.

the reason I mention it is at leichhardt you cant see the corners and then you cant even see the tv to see what you missed.

My point is ANZ is fine, I agree its not as good as the footy stadium, but it is better then leichhardt, manly and others, it is just some people are to precious about their boutique stadium.

Kind of like the people who are precious about there craft beer.

same sort of people wear tight jeans.

fairies.

georgesnmith

Juniors
after the success of the Nines is a crowd of 40k at eden park any kind of chance?

warriors poor form last week wont have helped.

RWB

Bench
the ARLC, clubs and players should grant interviews to journalists who are positive on rugby league

the journos who are continually negative should be given no stories at all or just banned from covering the game

they dont realize how much damage the media is doing to their brand,

Just ban all News Ltd journos from covering the game for a season

the disparity between how most "league" jurnos treat the sport and AFL treat their is amazing

AFL journos go out of their way to defend it, sweeping stuff under the carpet

most league journos, you get the feeling they get a lot of joy from sticking the boot in

Couldn't disagree more, we need negative articles to keep our game honest just as much as we need positive articles to promote our game.

The issue is journalists who have agendas & continually look for any chance to bag the game or players and if there isn't anything there they often fabricate it. Objectivity is what we should strive for in media reporting but unfortunately there's one newspaper who seem to have ruined it for all good journalists.

With the continual advancements in how we consume media online the game needs large media outlets like the DailyTelegraph less than they need us and they're starting to realise it. I notice the Roosters (and I assume this is true for a lot of clubs) have a hand selected group of journalists who they always seem to give comments and information to because they know it will be reported in an honest manner.

Maybe Paul Kent should go back and watch some of his appearances on NRL 360, read some of his articles and then he may realise why he feels so alienated by NRL Clubs & players. He has no integrity and every club in the comp is well within their right to to shut him down. I know if I was a player he'd be up there with Rothfield, Wilson & Hooper as the journalists to stay far away from because you have no idea what context your words would be put in the next day in the gossip section.

georgesnmith

Juniors
Couldn't disagree more, we need negative articles to keep our game honest just as much as we need positive articles to promote our game.

The issue is journalists who have agendas & continually look for any chance to bag the game or players and if there isn't anything there they often fabricate it. Objectivity is what we should strive for in media reporting but unfortunately there's one newspaper who seem to have ruined it for all good journalists.

With the continual advancements in how we consume media online the game needs large media outlets like the DailyTelegraph less than they need us and they're starting to realise it. I notice the Roosters (and I assume this is true for a lot of clubs) have a hand selected group of journalists who they always seem to give comments and information to because they know it will be reported in an honest manner.

Maybe Paul Kent should go back and watch some of his appearances on NRL 360, read some of his articles and then he may realise why he feels so alienated by NRL Clubs & players. He has no integrity and every club in the comp is well within their right to to shut him down. I know if I was a player he'd be up there with Rothfield, Wilson & Hooper as the journalists to stay far away from because you have no idea what context your words would be put in the next day in the gossip section.

with 15 years of purely negative articles they can balance it out for a bit

News Ltd has had it in for Rugby League ever since the ARL took them on and stuffed up their plans

if you get a job as a league journo the presumption is you like that sport

im not sure thats the case with most of the News Ltd league writer's

someone that really like the sport will be positive most of the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts