What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

pHyR3

Juniors
The highest ever Rd 2 average is 19,750 in 2012. Can it be bettered this week?

Quite easily because suncorop is rarely in week 2.

40k at least over there i reckon, which means the rest has to average 16.7k (not to hard)

Springs

First Grade
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...-to-promote-game/story-fndujljl-1226853033648

NRL CHIEF executive Dave Smith will lead a complete review of the code's media protocol to ensure all 16 clubs and rugby league's biggest names do more to promote the game.

Reacting to a torrent of debate directed at the NRL in the wake of disappointing round one crowd figures, Smith said he would call on key stakeholders across the code including clubs, players, sponsors, club members and the media to participate in the review.

The review, to be conducted throughout the season, is similar to what the NRL has already conducted following major changes to the salary cap and rule changes.
"The media access guidelines are ready to be reviewed,'' Smith said yesterday.

"But they need to be reviewed as part of all the activities that support the NRL and clubs' shared objective of growing the game and reaching new fans and members.''

"The NRL will lead clubs, players, sponsors and media through a process that allows everybody to put their views on the table, test their interests and, ultimately, we will make a decision on a set of promotional guidelines.''

Both South Sydney and the Sydney Roosters have felt the brunt of the criticism after only 27,000 people turned up to ANZ Stadium last Thursday, a match that was billed as a blockbuster clash between Sonny Bill Williams and Sam Burgess, both of whom failed to promote the game through the media, in the days prior to the match.

As a result, what was supposed to be a bumper kick-off for the opening match of the season turned into a public relations disaster after an alarming drop-off in attendances and a dip in TV ratings.

Smith said he was aware what the fans wanted - to hear from their favourite stars - and that now it was about ensuring the player's follow what is expected to be a new strict set of guidelines.

"Fans are important to us and want to see our stars talking about upcoming games,'' Smith said.

"We know how much our fans, especially children, look up to the marquee players and we want the players to continue to help us draw more people to our game.''

Two clubs aware of their responsibility to promote the game, the Wests Tigers and Parramatta, supported Smith's promise to ensure rugby league is the most popular football code in the country.

"It's sport, its entertainment, lets promote it,'' Wests Tigers chief executive Grant Mayer said.
"We are very clear in regards to what our obligations are under the NRL's guidelines and it is a very rare day indeed that we won't fulfil those obligations.

"We understand the importance of the media and the promotion of our games and the game as a whole.''

Eels CEO Scott Seward added: "This pre-season our players have done an especially good job promoting the club and our Membership growth is a clear product of that."

Yes, you see, it's the clubs' fault. It's not that we decided to put the biggest Sydney rivalry on a Thursday night at ANZ Stadium :crazy:
A few years ago on a Monday night only 11,000 turned up. I'm sure it was the clubs' fault then too.

guyver78

Juniors
Adult Cat 1 at AAMI Park is $53 plus $5.50 for printout of ticket plus credit card charge. I think that is too pricey. parking opposite the ground cost $30.
Went to a game last season paid $15 for parking opp; ground, after game walking back to car notices had been put up saying car parking would be put up to $30 for the remainder of the season.
I am a Storm country member as I live in sadelaide and I always upgrade to reserved seat when I can get to a game.

Christ, $50-60 for a League Game :roll:
And they wonder why fans don't turn up

guyver78

Juniors
Anyone who thinks more interviews etc doesnt create more interest is a moron.

That being said I dont think league is too bad, but it could be better.

Do you really believe a few more interviews from players is really going to transform and turn a crowd of 27,000 into 40,000 on a thursday/friday night in Sydney??

betcats

Referee
Do you really believe a few more interviews from players is really going to transform and turn a crowd of 27,000 into 40,000 on a thursday/friday night in Sydney??

What the hell? Your reading comprehension sucks.

I said more interviews and player exposure will create more interest in the game.

The same people on here whinging about the players having to talk to the media are the sames ones who whinge when the DT or SMH or any other media increase their coverage of A league, Rugby and AFL.

I get why a lot of the players dont want to talk to the media, because they get stung by journos looking for a headline but barring the media won't fix it and its bad for the game.

Some of you are so defensive of the players, what they want and what is best for the game is not always the same thing.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
What the hell? Your reading comprehension sucks.

I said more interviews and player exposure will create more interest in the game.

The same people on here whinging about the players having to talk to the media are the sames ones who whinge when the DT or SMH or any other media increase their coverage of A league, Rugby and AFL.

I get why a lot of the players dont want to talk to the media, because they get stung by journos looking for a headline but barring the media won't fix it and its bad for the game.

Some of you are so defensive of the players, what they want and what is best for the game is not always the same thing.

Your point ISN'T the point Kent was making however.

He was clearly saying that an interview with SBW in the Tele would have meant 10,000 more people turned up to last weeks game.

That's crazy talk, and its News highjacking a topic to suit there agenda.

Yes, we should be trying to maximize crowds, but to think that a few interviews in the print media is the solution way over simplifying the situation.

There are far more important issues to address than that one.

juro

Bench
So simplistic to think that more interviews = crowd.

This is just News jumping on something to suit there agenda, its very disappointing that Smith and the NRL have taken this bait.
The Telegraph sure does love a cause to fight for, even if nobody actually wants it fought.

They do their survey with leading questions, latch onto a tenuous result, then carry on about it for week after week, trying to get the NRL to bend to their will. And if and when something is ever done, there is their story for the next day.
The NRL has finally listened to the fans. Now you get sauce for free on your chips. All thanks to the Daily Telegraph!
Our heroes!!! :roll:

guyver78

Juniors

More interest in the game in what way? And to what extent? and most importantly HOW is that really going to boost crowd numbers?

I've just jumped onto the Souths website and there's more then enough player interviews speaking to the media and promoting the game via Rabbitohs TV

guyver78

Juniors

He was clearly saying that an interview with SBW in the Tele would have meant 10,000 more people turned up to last weeks game.

Yes, we should be trying to maximize crowds, but to think that a few interviews in the print media is the solution way over simplifying the situation.

Exactly right

betcats

Referee
More interest in the game in what way? And to what extent? and most importantly HOW is that really going to boost crowd numbers?

I've just jumped onto the Souths website and there's more then enough player interviews speaking to the media and promoting the game via Rabbitohs TV

I did say I dont think League is too bad for one, i think they just need to get serious about the rules they already have(I think) like clubs must make players available to promote games, they must make players available after games and even open the dressing room after a while.

By more interest i mean more people interested in watching games on tv and even going to the games. Im talking about turning casual fans who might not even watch many games into people who watch alot and even attend games, or turning people who arent fans at all into casual fans.

It wont be anything dramatic in terms of numbers but over time it will add fans to the game, which is what it is all about.

Also if they arent writing and reporting about league in their sports news then they are more then likely writing and talking about one of our competitors.

ek999

First Grade

But that isn't going to attract new fans to the game. If people don't follow Rugby League then they aren't going to go onto a clubs website. Hell even the stuff that comes from the club isn't that interesting. These are quotes the Bulldogs put on their Twitter feed today from media work this morning

"I'm loving playing at the back," said Perrett. #proudtobeabulldog

"We were disappointed with outcome from round one," said Hodkinson.

"We need to learn from last week and focus on @Cronulla_Sharks," said Stanley

"You want to start the year good and last week we let a great opportunity slip, " said Mitch Brown

"We realised what we did wrong last week and we know we need to fix it," said Reynolds.

"I know the @Cronulla_Sharks will be ready for Monday," said Reynolds.

Seriously, could the players be any blander. Good stories and interviews in the paper generates free publicity for the game. Just yesterday someone tweeted the RLW Mole saying why the media don't do positive stories like the U20's Tigers player that ran 30m behind the play to stop a Titans player from swallowing his tongue last year, his reply was that no one even told him it happened, so how can he write about it. If the Tigers media manager calls up a journo and says we have this great story on one of our U20 kids it generates positive publicity for the NRL, the Tigers, the player in question and the U20's comp. Instead they do nothing and the story doesn't get told and we miss out once again.

betcats

Referee

I never claimed to be making the same point, just offering my own opinion.

franklin2323

Immortal

Same with Penrith. Almost daily the Western Weekender newpaper has stories about the Panthers.. They don't talk to the gimp Rothfield and that big deal they are still talking

BranVan3000

Coach

I was on the Roosters website last week and they had interviews with GI and Sutton

We don't need the media, the clubs are self sufficient for promotion, and the papers hate it

Status
Not open for further replies.