What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Diablo

Post Whore
she wasn't working for the NRL and doesn't have to do a f**king press conference

you sound just as bad as f**king Ritchie

and now you're defending the Gagai shit too

obviously ek999 is some News Ltd feral

ek999

First Grade
Lol. Please never change

Remind me where Dave Smith was working when he did his first press conference. I'm also not defending any journo (it was a Fairfax journo BTW), but it could have been avoided by being upfront and honest with the media at the time instead of hiding him away and releasing carefully worded statements

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
when was the last time the media relations boss did a press conference?

f**k you're a dumbarse

that's not part of their job you gumby

babyg

Juniors
If GA were $15 I would probably be at every game and a f**kload of other people would too.

ek999

First Grade
when was the last time the media relations boss did a press conference?

f**k you're a dumbarse

that's not part of their job you gumby

I'm not talking about a major press conference in front of an ARLC backdrop that goes for half an hour. 10 minutes that could even be done over the phone and let's them write a story of substance instead of trying to turn a 2 line statement into an article.

Springs

First Grade
Kent's a f**king idiot. 'We can't do it unless you guys talk or come onto the show', and he says that while they are on a TV show doing their bit to promote the game. What a dumbass.
He gets destroyed by Mason and Farah.

Same with Gagai, put him up to the media and answer questions on what he was doing and why he missed the camp so the journos can write about what happened and move on. Instead he isn't in front of the media until several months later and the journos will still hound him about it because they still don't know what went on when they could be writing stories about the weekend.

Nobody cares what went on. In either instance. Gagai f**ked up and missed camp. That's all I care to know. How will stories in the paper for weeks about it do anything? All it will do is make people talk negatively about the game for weeks. Aren't we supposed to be selling the game? Isn't that what Kent is whinging about?

georgesnmith

Juniors
Well if she fronted up to a press conference and did a bit of q and a they would be able to write a story of substance. Instead they send out a statement with a couple of lines attributed to her but probably written by someone else. She holds one of the most senior positions in the ARLC and we know f**k all about her.

Same with Gagai, put him up to the media and answer questions on what he was doing and why he missed the camp so the journos can write about what happened and move on. Instead he isn't in front of the media until several months later and the journos will still hound him about it because they still don't know what went on when they could be writing stories about the weekend.

Not to mention the behaviour of the the Bulldogs not letting the players speak to the media after the game

thats not the point

they conned gagai into an interview thinking it was to promote the game. then they took one question which had nothing to do with the game being promoted and made that the headline

then the media complain when they dont get access

georgesnmith

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...-to-promote-game/story-fndujljl-1226853033648

NRL CHIEF executive Dave Smith will lead a complete review of the code's media protocol to ensure all 16 clubs and rugby league's biggest names do more to promote the game.

Reacting to a torrent of debate directed at the NRL in the wake of disappointing round one crowd figures, Smith said he would call on key stakeholders across the code including clubs, players, sponsors, club members and the media to participate in the review.

The review, to be conducted throughout the season, is similar to what the NRL has already conducted following major changes to the salary cap and rule changes.
"The media access guidelines are ready to be reviewed,'' Smith said yesterday.

"But they need to be reviewed as part of all the activities that support the NRL and clubs' shared objective of growing the game and reaching new fans and members.''

"The NRL will lead clubs, players, sponsors and media through a process that allows everybody to put their views on the table, test their interests and, ultimately, we will make a decision on a set of promotional guidelines.''

Both South Sydney and the Sydney Roosters have felt the brunt of the criticism after only 27,000 people turned up to ANZ Stadium last Thursday, a match that was billed as a blockbuster clash between Sonny Bill Williams and Sam Burgess, both of whom failed to promote the game through the media, in the days prior to the match.

As a result, what was supposed to be a bumper kick-off for the opening match of the season turned into a public relations disaster after an alarming drop-off in attendances and a dip in TV ratings.

Smith said he was aware what the fans wanted - to hear from their favourite stars - and that now it was about ensuring the player's follow what is expected to be a new strict set of guidelines.

"Fans are important to us and want to see our stars talking about upcoming games,'' Smith said.

"We know how much our fans, especially children, look up to the marquee players and we want the players to continue to help us draw more people to our game.''

Two clubs aware of their responsibility to promote the game, the Wests Tigers and Parramatta, supported Smith's promise to ensure rugby league is the most popular football code in the country.

"It's sport, its entertainment, lets promote it,'' Wests Tigers chief executive Grant Mayer said.
"We are very clear in regards to what our obligations are under the NRL's guidelines and it is a very rare day indeed that we won't fulfil those obligations.

"We understand the importance of the media and the promotion of our games and the game as a whole.''

Eels CEO Scott Seward added: "This pre-season our players have done an especially good job promoting the club and our Membership growth is a clear product of that."

Promoting the game is one thing.

But the s#it slinging that goes on in RL from print media is atrocious.

TBH - DT lost me years ago and the SMH is going the same way.

If I want 'media content' I visit the NRL's websites, the clubs' (not just my own) website, twitter and facebook feeds, RL fourms.

The days of print media being God are over. Kent and Rothfield and all of them realise it. Hence the more lurid headlines / links online, enticing readers in with scuttlebutt and innuendo and rubbish stories.

f**k, last night I watched Fox Sports news and there were 3-4 Roosters players doing decent media. Don't see any of that in the so called news papers.

As for advertising the game, you'd have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to see/hear it on radio / TV ads - I flick around a lot, print ads and posters.

I'd just like the Players Association to grow some balls and come out and say its members won't be dealing with certain media outlets/journalists (whoever they decide), name the journos who disrespect the game but then give good journos plenty of press. Hell, I'd even like to see more online bloggers/forums get in on the act and get more access to players/coaches to produce more because if it's one thing that pi$$es me off about Sydney is the lack of diversity of opinion - same people on radio, newspaper and TV (yeah, I'm looking at you Sterlo and Matty Johns).

And to be honest, no amount of media ever decided for me if I went to a game or not. However, after this week, I'm dead bloody keen to go to 2 NRL games just to spite the fuggers!

Canard

Immortal
So simplistic to think that more interviews = crowd.

This is just News jumping on something to suit there agenda, its very disappointing that Smith and the NRL have taken this bait.

betcats

Referee
Anyone who thinks more interviews etc doesnt create more interest is a moron.

That being said I dont think league is too bad, but it could be better.

Chook

First Grade
The media want access to a superstar player, Darius Boyd is injured, they can interview him every week until he's fit.

What I have noticed is that the players are actually speaking in coherent sentences and answering questions in interviews these days. Unlike previous years where regardless of the question asked it was well worn cliche's in response.

NRL players still have a long way to go, but they are getting noticebly better in interviews. Where as in comparison the media are getting noticebly worse in their race to the bottom of the gutter with idiots like Kent leading the charge.

Chook.

franklin2323

Immortal
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...-to-promote-game/story-fndujljl-1226853033648

NRL CHIEF executive Dave Smith will lead a complete review of the code's media protocol to ensure all 16 clubs and rugby league's biggest names do more to promote the game.

Reacting to a torrent of debate directed at the NRL in the wake of disappointing round one crowd figures, Smith said he would call on key stakeholders across the code including clubs, players, sponsors, club members and the media to participate in the review.

The review, to be conducted throughout the season, is similar to what the NRL has already conducted following major changes to the salary cap and rule changes.
"The media access guidelines are ready to be reviewed,'' Smith said yesterday.

"But they need to be reviewed as part of all the activities that support the NRL and clubs' shared objective of growing the game and reaching new fans and members.''

"The NRL will lead clubs, players, sponsors and media through a process that allows everybody to put their views on the table, test their interests and, ultimately, we will make a decision on a set of promotional guidelines.''

Both South Sydney and the Sydney Roosters have felt the brunt of the criticism after only 27,000 people turned up to ANZ Stadium last Thursday, a match that was billed as a blockbuster clash between Sonny Bill Williams and Sam Burgess, both of whom failed to promote the game through the media, in the days prior to the match.

As a result, what was supposed to be a bumper kick-off for the opening match of the season turned into a public relations disaster after an alarming drop-off in attendances and a dip in TV ratings.

Smith said he was aware what the fans wanted - to hear from their favourite stars - and that now it was about ensuring the player's follow what is expected to be a new strict set of guidelines.

"Fans are important to us and want to see our stars talking about upcoming games,'' Smith said.

"We know how much our fans, especially children, look up to the marquee players and we want the players to continue to help us draw more people to our game.''

Two clubs aware of their responsibility to promote the game, the Wests Tigers and Parramatta, supported Smith's promise to ensure rugby league is the most popular football code in the country.

"It's sport, its entertainment, lets promote it,'' Wests Tigers chief executive Grant Mayer said.
"We are very clear in regards to what our obligations are under the NRL's guidelines and it is a very rare day indeed that we won't fulfil those obligations.

"We understand the importance of the media and the promotion of our games and the game as a whole.''

Eels CEO Scott Seward added: "This pre-season our players have done an especially good job promoting the club and our Membership growth is a clear product of that."

As a member. If they ask me I will tell them media is the problem I want to read about what the player actually said not what the paper thinks they really said

STORM.99/07

Bench
Adult Cat 1 at AAMI Park is $53 plus $5.50 for printout of ticket plus credit card charge. I think that is too pricey. parking opposite the ground cost $30.
Went to a game last season paid $15 for parking opp; ground, after game walking back to car notices had been put up saying car parking would be put up to $30 for the remainder of the season.
I am a Storm country member as I live in sadelaide and I always upgrade to reserved seat when I can get to a game.

georgesnmith

Juniors
So simplistic to think that more interviews = crowd.

This is just News jumping on something to suit there agenda, its very disappointing that Smith and the NRL have taken this bait.

true

smith has to learn not to jump up and down every time kent and rothefield write a bad article

at least he is trying to be proactive about it

hell learn how to put the media into their place as he settles into the job.

hes come a long way from his first interviews when they destroyed him over not knowing who cam smith was

Status
Not open for further replies.