What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Doc

Coach
I wonder why people quote and reply to him and why he's allowed to post in alleged non trolling topics.

If we could have some sort of official response to this question I'd be very interested.

I suspect the "non trolling threads" were an idea from ages ago that aren't really enforced anymore?

Red Bear

Referee
The signs are good on all fronts bar matchday.

I've long predicted the eventual Sunshine Coast relocation but I can't see it happening anymore. At worst we'll move to the SFS, which wouldn't be that bad because plenty of families that used to be regular to the ground 20 years ago have gotten used to travelling to the SCG precinct for Swans and Waratahs matches and might be tempted back. I think the comparative quality of the match day experience and the more competitive pricing really hurts Brookvale when competing for these mulch-confessional fans.

Ideally, Brookvale would get refurbed, but that's probably unlikely. As it stand, we're on a sound enough footing not to worry about it yet. Things might change as we rebuild however.
Look I generally agree. I just think a decision will have to made at some point, if funding doesn't come through for Brookvale in the next few years it'll simply become not up to standard. Much like Leichhardt will eventually be put out to pasture and a few other grounds in the firing line after that. I think it's a long process, as I said earlier it took 41 years or so from when Richmond left their suburban ground to when Carlton everntually moved on. We've already had the Bulldogs, Souths and partial moves from the Tigers Dragons and Eels for their bigger games to bigger grounds.

As you say, if Manly go through a lull in on field performance for a few years crowds may take a hit (Although you seem to have the best scouting in the game, which will keep you up there for a while), and there may be a short term hit on any initial move toward the bigger grounds, but I think we're hitting the point where the move toward the modern grounds is almost inevitible. Beyond the diehard fans the appeal of older grounds is lost. Getting people to go to the games rather than sit at home requires an improvement in facilities, and the money to do that is unlikely to be there for Brookvale/Leichhardt/Kogarah won't get any more upgrades etc.

No we are not and stop making pathetic excuses.

Carlton and Collingwood had poorly attended round one fixtures.

The AFL's first round crowds are the lowest in a couple of decades. And they were down 120000 on last year and similarly for about ten years before.

It is a horror start you bloody peanut.

I some times wonder why people simply cannot stand you.

At times like this it is very obvious.
MCG hasn't been available, because the shield season ended late/afl season started early. Probably hurt a couple of crowds.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Even so, surely Pies v Freo should've drawn in fans? "Best supported club in the comp" v runners up from last year.

Disappointing for them, surely.

I've been in Canberra on a Sunday, it isn't exactly chockers with things to do. Where are canbarians on a weekend? Do they all leave town?

weather is still good so alot of people head down to batemans bay etc
some would be at the baseball.
others watch on fox.
sunday night 6.30 pm

these are all the excuses some could use, however theres something bigger than that going on.

9300ish at Canberra.

Everyone's too buzzed from the Shield final I guess

and thats the thing.

we arent. we arent buzzed about the raiders at all. there is a complete disconnect between the team and the community. has been since superleague probably.

i have lived in canberra my entire life. i went to all grades of school here and the ARL/NRL,Raiders whoever were never at anywhere i attended to do clinics etc.

there is a real disconnect betwee the community and the club.

of the 20 or so real footy supporting mates i have i couldnt name a raiders supporter. my facebook has about 250 friends on there and theres 2 people who i would legitimately consider "raiders supporters" only one of which is a member (or was last year)

they have lost like 8 home games in a row too. so that would hurt the crowds.

but largely...the community isnt behind the team. IMO

azza29

Juniors
Even so, surely Pies v Freo should've drawn in fans? "Best supported club in the comp" v runners up from last year.

Pies fans don't travel across the CBD to Etihad, which is a sorry excuse for the "best supported club". R1 figures aren't all bad news - North/Bombers crowd was decent and the Suns pulled a good number for a home game.

Enough of that though, I wouldn't be surprised to see Storm crack 15k tonight. They are running their bring a mate for free promo again, so the GA areas will be close to full.

Red Bear

Referee

They would be concerned I would think but given the MCG wasn't in use and at least 4 games were in grounds with 30K or under capacity (one at GWS, GC, Tasmania, Geelong) and a bunch of low drawing games (interstate teams) it probably wasn't surprising they had a lower than usual crowdbase.

Sounds like utterly shitful scheduling from tbh, AFL fans I know are pissed off.

Although in the NRL, Souths/Roosters and Tigers/Dragons aside there was no real high drawing rivalry in play. Manly Melbourne I guess, but not at Brookvale. And Tigers Dragons is capable of double that if the two teams were coming off good seasons/good off seasons (playing this week would probably add 5K given the positive starts).

I think there's a general sporting hangover at the start of this season, neither code has had near the same buzz this year compared to recent seasons. Maybe because of the extended summer of cricket between Ashes/BBL/South African tour alot are still in cricket mode. I don't know. I think we'll be OK if we don't bottom out in origin period this year, but there's a couple of concerns already.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
AFL round 1 crowds are alarmingly down.

FACT.

If it's good enough for the NRL to cop it then it's good enough for the fumbleball.

Didn't you see the article referring to how the AFL scheduled matches with predicted poorer attendances at the start.

I will try dig it up. I guarantee you they are not alarmingly down.

Springs

First Grade
Being optimistic..
SFS - 15,000 (Syd v Man)
WIN - 14,000 (STG v Bris)
ANZ - 17,000 (Bul v Mel)
Wellington - 16,000 (NZ v WST)
Pirtek - 16,000 (Parra v Pen)
ANZ - 14,000 (SS v Can)
Hunter - 15,000 (New v Cro)
Skilled - 10,000 (GC v NQ)

As for what I'd hope for. A Grand Final rematch of 20,000+, 20,000+ at Wellington and a sellout for Parra v Penrith.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
15k SYD v MAN optimistic?

20k should be the absolute floor for that crowd.

Dogs v Storm is in Perth BTW

mozza91

Coach
Being optimistic..
SFS - 15,000 (Syd v Man)
WIN - 14,000 (STG v Bris)
ANZ - 17,000 (Bul v Mel)
Wellington - 16,000 (NZ v WST)
Pirtek - 16,000 (Parra v Pen)
ANZ - 14,000 (SS v Can)
Hunter - 15,000 (New v Cro)
Skilled - 10,000 (GC v NQ)

As for what I'd hope for. A Grand Final rematch of 20,000+, 20,000+ at Wellington and a sellout for Parra v Penrith.
Knights will get 20k.

Springs

First Grade
15k SYD v MAN optimistic?

20k should be the absolute floor for that crowd.

Dogs v Storm is in Perth BTW

I'm being optimistic based on the first 2 rounds and Manly's history of attending games at the SFS. The first 2 'optimistic' round predictions were way over.

Didn't realise it was in Perth, will probably get a larger crowd than at ANZ then!

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
120000 is 'alarmingly down'.

No.

Round one this year:
NO games at the MCG.
NO game in Adelaide.
One game in Tasmania.

Last year had two MCG blockbusters in round one (Geel v Haw - 76k & Carl v Rich 80k).

They wouldn't be worried at all.

Suns opening crowd was up. St Kilda v Melbourne 31k was definitely a positive for the AFL.

georgesnmith

Juniors
The AFL round one attendances were the lowest since 1995 - that might some perspective around everything at the moment. Mind you the media would not have a clue as it is not NRL.

And, as a bit more of a perspective, their round one attendance was 120000 down on last year.

Yes that is correct.

wow

bet the AFL media will be running with stories on how their crowds are down?

:lol:

oikee

Juniors
You cant grow crowds if you keep making the same dumb scheduling mistakes you made from last year and the use of the same Big Round Stadium that is killing our Atmosphere and lack of promoting and clubs not promoting games.
The end of this year cant come fast enough already for some.
The players and ex-players making dumb comments does not help.
Hanging out with nucklehead mates does not help, (Carney, your only as good as the company you keep) and
we need to be announcing expansion and the new salary cap ideas now, not in 2 years time.
The yawn factor and potato head factor along with the cant see past my pinocchio factor is catching up to the game.
We need new ideas, new blood and its time the old deadwood is cleaned.
Dessies cleansing might be what the game needs. The game needs to be cleansed.

People need to take some time out, go to a local game in your neighbourhood and come back with a fresh mind and some new ideas, or just look at what is wrong with our game.

The game is still yet to change really, we have some window dressing, some new rules and we are told how great the game is going to be. Yet where really has the change be made, most clubs in Sydney are still nothing but basketcases.

georgesnmith

Juniors
No.

Round one this year:
NO games at the MCG.
NO game in Adelaide.
One game in Tasmania.

Last year had two MCG blockbusters in round one (Geel v Haw - 76k & Carl v Rich 80k).

They wouldn't be worried at all.

Suns opening crowd was up. St Kilda v Melbourne 31k was definitely a positive for the AFL.

Vlad would be proud.

the swans vs giants clash got over 32k last year, now the same game got a claimed 17k

thats down close to 50% sorry

t-ba

Post Whore
Look I generally agree. I just think a decision will have to made at some point, if funding doesn't come through for Brookvale in the next few years it'll simply become not up to standard. Much like Leichhardt will eventually be put out to pasture and a few other grounds in the firing line after that. I think it's a long process, as I said earlier it took 41 years or so from when Richmond left their suburban ground to when Carlton everntually moved on. We've already had the Bulldogs, Souths and partial moves from the Tigers Dragons and Eels for their bigger games to bigger grounds.

As you say, if Manly go through a lull in on field performance for a few years crowds may take a hit (Although you seem to have the best scouting in the game, which will keep you up there for a while), and there may be a short term hit on any initial move toward the bigger grounds, but I think we're hitting the point where the move toward the modern grounds is almost inevitible. Beyond the diehard fans the appeal of older grounds is lost. Getting people to go to the games rather than sit at home requires an improvement in facilities, and the money to do that is unlikely to be there for Brookvale/Leichhardt/Kogarah won't get any more upgrades etc.

I think the club would be surprised at the number of fans they could attract at the SFS. Like I said, a lot of people who profess to support Manly probably have stronger ties to the Waratahs and Swans nowadays and are used to the trips from the Northern Beaches and Lower North Shore to the precinct. I know for a fact my Uncles family 'supports' Manly (played Flegg for them) but can't stand Brookvale and tend to go to Waratahs matches. They're twats, but they're the twats my club needs to engage. Many of these fans (rightly) consider Brookvale an archaic hole. But it's our archaic hole and I'll miss it if we go :x

Still, it's better than playing out of an upgrade Kawana sports ground I guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts