What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

oikee

Juniors
It's unique. Parra fans don't really care. Penrith are just another team. Sure they're close by, but we don't really mind. A lot of Parra fans have a bit of a soft spot for Penrith, being close by.

From what I've seen (first hand), Penrith seem to have a bit of a chip on their shoulder. A little brother syndrome. The "we hate Parra" chants are hilarious. It's as if they've manufactured the hate for some reason. Maybe because Penrith have no real draw card matches, no real rivalry.

Our rivalry with Penrith, IMO, rates below our rivalry with the Dogs and Manly. And I'd say our games against Melbourne are getting up there.

Well if it's anything to go by last weekend and only 15 thousand bothered to show between this so-called rivalry, maybe you should be making Penrith your number one.
The Eels Dogs had 70 odd thousand to a grudge match one year, when Hayne was a plane, not a tugboat.

oikee

Juniors
ANZ last year for origin was crazy

the nsw public are really getting behind the team,

its getting bigger every year.

and the cheapest seats i think are $50 for adults, i paid $255 for category 2 tickets

Yes,this did not go un-noticed. I had the volume right up for this one and had to back it off a bit as the crowd had passion, and fire, and then i seen why, a streaker had entered the arena.
Mardi Gras had come early for some. haha

Banned me for six months.
That site is a dogs bullocks, wasted 7 years posting on that site.

Well I can only post on the articles that I write for the site on occasion. What do you think of the Broncos crowds currently oikee?

42k for NQ and 32k for the Roosters game. Honestly, thought the Roosters would get 35k aleast with the Broncos being undefeated at the time and Roosters being the premiers. If the Broncos keep up there winning form there be a few 40k+ crowds for Brisbane with games against Souths, Storm and Dragons.

It's unique. Parra fans don't really care. Penrith are just another team. Sure they're close by, but we don't really mind. A lot of Parra fans have a bit of a soft spot for Penrith, being close by.

From what I've seen (first hand), Penrith seem to have a bit of a chip on their shoulder. A little brother syndrome. The "we hate Parra" chants are hilarious. It's as if they've manufactured the hate for some reason. Maybe because Penrith have no real draw card matches, no real rivalry.

Our rivalry with Penrith, IMO, rates below our rivalry with the Dogs and Manly. And I'd say our games against Melbourne are getting up there.

Interesting insight it seems Penrith get the short straw out of all the West Sydney teams with no big draw card rivarly which effects there attendance considerably.

The West Tigers have a huge latent fanbase that once the WT get there stuff together can be massive to the NRL. Where with Penrith it's about bringing the potential out of there area considering it's a rugby league nursery that once harnessed can benefit West Sydney RL as a whole. Gus Gould is on the right track currently and wouldn't surprise me if Penrith can get 20k members within the next 3-5 years.

Having a strong Penrith & West Tigers can bring a extra level to all variations of the West Sydney derbies.

Saint Doc

Coach
Other than themselves :lol:

:lol: :lol:

The West Tigers have a huge latent fanbase that once the WT get there stuff together can be massive to the NRL. Where with Penrith it's about bringing the potential out of there area considering it's a rugby league nursery that can be properly harnessed. Gus Gould is on the right track currently and wouldn't surprise me if Penrith can get 20k members within the next 3-5 years.

Agree but they don't really have a big grudge match.

Parra vs Canterbury is the big one in the west.

Tigers could claim a rivalry with manly (based on magpies) or souffs (based on Balmain) but I can guarantee those clubs hate storm/parra/knights and Easts/saints more than Wests.

Tigers had a bit of a rivalry with us around '10-'12 but it's fizzed

Parra vs Canterbury is the big one in the west.

Parra/Canterbury got 45k+ potential at the right time provided both teams are in winning form in the lead up to it. A greater promotion and marketing of the rivalry games along with the proper scheduling can solve 'crowd in crisis' hubris easily. The potential is there to fully tap into the tribalism and rivalries of the NRL is just requires initiatives to get the desired result. Memberships are the beginning of a culture change that will take years to change.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
Can someone chuck up the link for origin 1 and 3 tickets. My ipads playing up at the moment

Cheers

elbusto

Coach
Can someone chuck up the link for origin 1 and 3 tickets. My ipads playing up at the moment

Cheers
You may have answered this before mate but why have NQs crowds dropped do much? 17000 used to be a disappointing crowd. 13000 now seems to be the standard.

beave

Coach
Lots of factors i think mate.

-this generation hitting 18-19 years old don't remember a time when we had nothing up there. They've become complacent and whilst they say they are 'fans', hardly ever show up to games because they take it for granted having a team in the NRL.

- the out of towners are the ones whom suffered the most during the GFC, beef dramas with indo, Larry/Yasi. Alot of these people just stay at home now and watch on fox as it's much cheaper than driving a few hours to a game, staying the night, piss food. A lot of these people had season tickets but when times got tough started to stay at home and got used to it and never returned. i had some cane farmers in my area and they all slowly gave up coming to games because of the cost and it was easier to watch on fox

-the gameday experience is getting worse and worse.food and drink is just ridiculous, I think it's $8.50+ for a spirit now?

-the stadium is a piece of shit when it rains. The NRL (and I know I have been banging on about this a fair but so apologies) but they have to stop biasing our draw to having a lot of home games during the early rounds. The roads get cut so easily in the wet season, people just aren't prepared to risk a few days stuck in the 'ville because they foolishly decided to go to a cowboys game. Plus sitting out in the rain with no protection, whilst I will do it and have done it god knows how many times, a lot of people just aren't prepared to got that extra mile when required.

I am just as annoyed and disappointed as everyone in our crowds. We have always been a good club with great support, I mean the only thing that saved the club from folding was the crowds, but people are just very reluctant to go to games up there.

Last edited:

elbusto

Coach
Lots of factors i think mate.

-this generation hitting 18-19 years old don't remember a time when we had nothing up there. They've become complacent and whilst they say they are 'fans', hardly ever show up to games because they take it for granted having a team in the NRL.
- the out of towners are the ones whom suffered the most during the GFC, beef dramas with indo, Larry/Yasi. Alot of these people just stay at home now and watch on fox as it's much cheaper than driving a few hours to a game, staying the night, piss food.
-the gameday experience is getting worse and worse.food and drink is just ridiculous, I think it's $8.50+ for a spirit now?
-the stadium is a piece of shit when it rains. The NRL (and I know I have been banging on about this a fair but so apologies) but they have to stop biasing our draw to having a lot of home games during the early rounds. The roads get cut so easily in the wet season, people just aren't prepared to risk a few days stuck in the 'ville because they foolishly decided to go to a cowboys game. Plus sitting out in the rain with no protection, whilst I will do it and have done it god knows how many times, a lot of people just aren't prepared to got that extra mile when required.

I am just as annoyed and disappointed as everyone in our crowds. We have always been a good club with great support, I mean the only thing that saved the club from folding was the crowds, but people are just very reluctant to go to games up there.
All those things make sense. You would think a major refurbish would be planned as it is clear there is very little cover there.

I went to the Sharks last weekend - a few beers at the bar ($4.90 schooners) nice cheap and edible meal, outside for the game - a shout of two schooners and two sparkling wines - $26.

Cannot complain about any of that - and the beer was full strength and the ground was close to the action although rain would have been a problem (not for me).

georgesnmith

Juniors
All those things make sense. You would think a major refurbish would be planned as it is clear there is very little cover there.

I went to the Sharks last weekend - a few beers at the bar ($4.90 schooners) nice cheap and edible meal, outside for the game - a shout of two schooners and two sparkling wines - $26.

Cannot complain about any of that - and the beer was full strength and the ground was close to the action although rain would have been a problem (not for me).

still plans on board for a new stadium in the CBD ala skilled park robina.

stupid queensland government wasted how much on carrerra when they had a contract in place stipulating a 2nd AFL side in queensland had to play at the Gaba

David smith needs to start talking to Qld Govt re townsville

Status
Not open for further replies.