What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch Thread 2009

Yeah, but Cronulla v penriff doesn't inspire anyone. Eagles v Dogs, plenty to inspire there.

Cronulla and penrith don't have many fans, not much to market there. I bet Cronulla's average will be above that!

loudtrsat 10k is pathetic

you'd know all about that, so dont offer up your excuses here.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
i think you will find that it p!ssed down with rain in Brisbane yesterday arvo, probably kept a few people away. But still, 45k.........................f$%k me, don't be whinging about that when only 10k turned up to Shark park tonight. Disgraceful.

The Broncos are the lone team in a city with 2 million people and arguably the biggest football team in the nation and could only get 45k against one of their biggest rivals. Shouldn't this have sold out within 1.32 micro seconds like QLDers say their games do? :roll:

Meanwhile, the Sharks, who have barely any fans get 10k for a game against a team that doesn't inspire anyone, and its pissing down rain is a fairly good crowd for the circumstances.

Brycey

Juniors
If the Sharks have barely any fans than why are they in Sydney or in the comp.

Either get some fans/get out of Sydney/get out of the comp.

Hindyscrack

Bench
Sharks v Penriff with a massive storm, vs fine night in Melbourne with only 4000 more - I know which should have gotten more.

You cant fit many more into Olympic Park comforably (even though official capacity says you could)

10,000 on opening night is ordinary.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
10,617 for the opening round and team that came equal first last year (you know what I mean).

That's awful no matter what agenda you have.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Bulldogs crowd of 19,000-odd = a pass mark from me. Would have got well over 20,000 in good weather.

Sharks crowd = not good enough, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt on this occasion because:

a) vs Penrith is hardly a match to get the goosebumps going.

b) it was absolutely belting down raining tonight, and Shark Park would have to be close to the worst ground in the NRL for spectator comfort in wet weather (hence why the Bulldogs were still able to attract a good crowd of 19,000 on the same night playing at a decent stadium).

Brycey

Juniors
Cronulla are an awful awful team and so are their fans. I think they would be suited in Adelaide/

Solid

Juniors
10k is suitable given the weather.

If i see Barry the weather man forecast severe thunderstorms on Friday night news, and then witness black clouds forming Saturday all afternoon.

And then think, oh crap, big ass storm for tonight's game! Plus no shelter!

Im certainly gonna stay at home and watch on TV

Others may think differently

beave

Coach
The weather channel on Austar was predicting rain in the arvo/evening for Brisbane. A friend of mine works in Toowoong and she said it rained a fair bit in the arvo, so I can understand is people stayed away because they saw the rain in the arvo or heard of the potential. I am not a fan of Brisbane or the club, so I am the last person that will stand up for the $hithole. 45k still turned up, still a pretty decent effort really............ as far as i could see from the TV, most of the empty seats seemed to be down low in the lower bowl, thats the only excuse I can think of as to why it wasn't a sell out. But using Penriff as an excuse for the Sharks game that they arent popular dont sit well with me. They have got some decent players in the ranks. I can understand why people stayed away from the game, i just think it's a bit of double standards in play if you accept it for one team and not the other. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
i think you will find that it p!ssed down with rain in Brisbane yesterday arvo, probably kept a few people away. But still, 45k.........................f$%k me, don't be whinging about that when only 10k turned up to Shark park tonight. Disgraceful.

10,617 for the opening round and team that came equal first last year (you know what I mean).

That's awful no matter what agenda you have.

Get a grip. Where do you live?

I was at the game at ANZ tonight, I've been to about 40 or 50 in my time at that ground, a few even where it's pissed down like tonight. However, I've never EVER heard the ground announcer declare there a major storm warning and instructing supporters to get undercover like he did tonight. It was dangerous the amount of lightning around the ground and I'm surprised play wasn't stopped a couple of times.

Cronulla wouldn't have been much different, 10k was solid. STFU unless you have some idea of what Sydney was actually like tonight. The rain lost 6-7k of people at Toyota and a good 10k IMO at ANZ.

beave

Coach
I have been to games up here where in the early parts of the footy season (which coincides with the wet season) and with absolute monsoon rain (with all the associated trimmings) and we have had 20k turn up on many occasions (ones that stand out in my mind were against your mob in 2005 and brisbane in 2001 was the worst) we have roof cover for about maybe 2k people. Don't try and throw the "what the f#%k would you know, you have to have been here to know" because I have and it sucks, but it's what you do if you want to see your team SURVIVE. Cronullas plight has been out there for all and sundry, I don't want to see Cronulla go ta tas, but those sorts of crowds, well they will want to have some sell outs like the old days (saturday night shark park mid 90's style) to try and make up for the lost revenue.

Timmah

Staff member
I have been to games up here where in the early parts of the footy season (which coincides with the wet season) and with absolute monsoon rain (with all the associated trimmings) and we have had 20k turn up on many occasions (ones that stand out in my mind were against your mob in 2005 and brisbane in 2001 was the worst) we have roof cover for about maybe 2k people. Don't try and throw the "what the f#%k would you know, you have to have been here to know" because I have and it sucks, but it's what you do if you want to see your team SURVIVE. Cronullas plight has been out there for all and sundry, I don't want to see Cronulla go ta tas, but those sorts of crowds, well they will want to have some sell outs like the old days (saturday night shark park mid 90's style) to try and make up for the lost revenue.
If you can't understand that in this day and age of modern stadiums and the like that people don't want to attend a facility like Toyota Park in the midst of not only monsoon rains but a very intense electrical storm, then you're a bigger goose than I first thought. Many families simply decide against going when the weather turns. You can't blame people for putting safety first.

S.R.

Juniors
Shark Park has very little in terms of shelter. I was one of those IDIOTS standing in the rain for 80 minutes. Most of the crowd went home. It was THE WORST conditions I have ever seen at the football.

The rain was up there with the Newcastle storms of a few years back (when the big boat decided that it liked the beach), just didn't last as long at that.

If I didn't have tickets to the game, I would have stayed home. It was a stupid night to be out watching footy.

beave

Coach
dairy farmers isn't a modern stadium......notice the lack of "covered" seating

DFS%20Aerial.jpg

What you experienced tonight, is something we have experienced in the past, we still got decent crowds in bull$hit monsoonal weather when were perennial cellar dwellers.......maybe we just love our footy a bit more up here and don't mind a bit of rain TIC......................

Timmah

Staff member
Well at ANZ we DID get that 20k you speak of. Because it had the facilities.

Need I mention the fact Coldplay was on next door, and the Sound Relief concert on at the SCG across town...?

And it wasn't just "monsoonal rains" either. There was plenty of lightning which would've made it an easy decision for many young families.

If you can't cop weather as an excuse then you need a reality check mate - safety first always - tonight was one of those knights.

Apey

Staff member
If you can't cop weather as an excuse then you need a reality check mate - safety first always - tonight was one of those knights.

Wrong thread.

Or maybe our banter got to you somehow, haha.

*should go to bed too*

beave

Coach
"Well at ANZ we DID get that 20k you speak of. Because it had the facilities.

Need I mention the fact Coldplay was on next door, and the Sound Relief concert on at the SCG across town...?

And it wasn't just "monsoonal rains" either. There was plenty of lightning which would've made it an easy decision for many young families.

If you can't cop weather as an excuse then you need a reality check mate - safety first always - tonight was one of those knights"

The dogs crowd was good and I aint bagging them out.

But the brisbane crowd being down a bit because it rained in the arvo in brissy is alright with you? Because a few other people in here seem to think 45k was $hithouse. Mind you I understand the weather in brisbane was no where near the extreme as what it was in Sydney tonight but still, people in brisbane see some rain in the early arvo, see some predictions that it may last into the night, it might make one want to boycott said game. They are living in the "big smoke" you see and not as "weathered" as their Northern Cousins TIC.

And I hope you aren't also going to bag out the melbourne crowd being down like some others in here, and won't recognise the fact there was an AFL pre season GF and the NBL GF on at the same time which may have had a dent on the numbers...............you see where I am going with this????? I am not saying you said this by the way, just pointing out the opinion of others in here.

Last edited:

homo man

Juniors
Its funny how you guys go on about crowds,its only because we are competing with the afl think about it they get the 3rd biggest crowds in the world,league gets good crowds compared to competitions in the world.In asia there soccer crowds average 3 thousand and someone told me our crowds are on par with the serie a in italy thats pretty darn good.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Its funny how you guys go on about crowds,its only because we are competing with the afl think about it they get the 3rd biggest crowds in the world,league gets good crowds compared to competitions in the world.In asia there soccer crowds average 3 thousand and someone told me our crowds are on par with the serie a in italy thats pretty darn good.

3rd highest? NFL, college football, EPL, German soccer, etc all get far bigger crowds. And that's a list just off the top of my head.

Other than that I agree with you.

Latest posts