What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch Thread 2009

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
They are living in the "big smoke" you see and not as "weathered" as their Northern Cousins TIC.

Mate come on, we aren't that bad. QEII's stands were basically metal steps a million miles away from the action. Not only were they sh*t when it was even a bit wet but they were just as horrible in hot weather, you couldn't win.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Check it out on wiki its fact.

Articles on wikipedia are only edited by people with an interest in the article, it's not really a reliable source by itself.

The only fact is that those four comps all have much higher averages than the AFl could dream of. I'm sure there are more aswell.

Pigskin

Juniors
looked like about 600 people turned up to Shark Park tonight ... don't care how far apart the teams are, 2 Sydney teams drew SFA people ... merge/relocate

I can't believe some morons in this thread criticising the 45k at suncorp ... must be a gee up ... Sydney tards :sarcasm:

hurry up and apply to merge or relocate Sydney teams ... your crowds are an embarrassment to the league

Oink !

mattyg

Bench
deadset a few times lightning struck within metres of the playing arena at ANZ tonight...it was crazy...the front few rows were under 10cm of water...i can't belive 19k turned up...if it was really good weaher i reckon 30k easy

bobmar28

Bench
The Broncos are the lone team in a city with 2 million people and arguably the biggest football team in the nation and could only get 45k against one of their biggest rivals. Shouldn't this have sold out within 1.32 micro seconds like QLDers say their games do? :roll:

Meanwhile, the Sharks, who have barely any fans get 10k for a game against a team that doesn't inspire anyone, and its pissing down rain is a fairly good crowd for the circumstances.
10,000 should never be described as a fairly good crowd. And Shark Park is not a suitable venue. 19,000 for the Bulldogs is a very good crowd in a storm.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
Articles on wikipedia are only edited by people with an interest in the article, it's not really a reliable source by itself.

The only fact is that those four comps all have much higher averages than the AFl could dream of. I'm sure there are more aswell.
Nascar often gets crowds over 100,000, even as high as 250,000. A stadium with 1/4 million people is an awesome sight.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I won't proceed to bag the Cronulla crowd and I hate the club - the 10k who braved it deserve every credit, same with the 19k @ ANZ.

What I will agree with is that Cronulla need to either look at a multi-million dollar upgrade to Toyota Stadium making it a proper arena, or move to the SFS. Toyota isn't suitable, accessible or comfortable anymore, as much as it sucks for them to move it looks like something that may have to become reality.

Hass

Juniors
I'm no fan of Cronulla and think their crowds have been poor in recent years but...

That storm was torrential and lightning bolts were cracking down all over the place. It was genuinely dangerous.

I'm suprised that any mother would let their children go outside - let alone let them go to a football match - in that sort of electrical storm.

You had to be careful walking six metres to the car in the driveway - lightning bolts hitting your front porch with simultaneous thunder doesn't make you feel particularly safe.

Let's keep an eye on crowds, but bagging out Cronulla on last night's evidence isn't the way to go.

Ausguy

Coach
I was at shark park, it was the worst weather i have been to a game in in 30 years. Diaobolical.

Worst thing was that a storm went through at 5pm as well which would have stopped the walk up fans from going.... then it came back right on kick off. Anyone who is bagging a crowd last nigth or comparing it to ANZ where most could get under cover is just stupid.

If you were not there you have no idea how bad it was. So get off their case.

A game at Penrith, Campbelltown, Brookvale etc would have had the same result.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I can't personally speak for Toyota Stadium, but just so nobody is under any false illusion it was "just a bit of rain" at ANZ:

DSCF2250.jpg

DSCF2249.jpg

DSCF2247.jpg

Apologies if there's page stretch :oops:

Hoggy

Bench
But Melbourne could never have weather as an excuse for people not turning up.

Sydney = fog dodgers.

ByRd

First Grade
Looks like an ordinary crowd on the Gold Coast, and it looks like a great day (may be a bit hot) but still it looks disappointing.

beave

Coach
The crowd at the GC would only be around 12k i reckon, if that. Terrible really, weather is beautiful, first game of the year...........Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come on the GC.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
10,000 should never be described as a fairly good crowd. And Shark Park is not a suitable venue. 19,000 for the Bulldogs is a very good crowd in a storm.

Put things into context
  • Sharks have no fans
  • Played against Panthers who don't inspire anyone
  • Barely any Panthers fans travelled to the Shire
  • It was pissing down rain, much worse than ANZ
What I will agree with is that Cronulla need to either look at a multi-million dollar upgrade to Toyota Stadium making it a proper arena, or move to the SFS. Toyota isn't suitable, accessible or comfortable anymore, as much as it sucks for them to move it looks like something that may have to become reality.

I agree

I've never been to Toyota, but it looks like a sh*thole (no offence Sharks fans).

It will defo be the worst venue in the NRL next season and the SFS is probably the best venue at the moment *waits for Broncos fans to get the sh*ts*. They'd probably get more money from the SFS too.

Problem is, who is gonna buy Shark Park from them?