What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cry Me A River, Ricko

Davester

Juniors
Luke Ricketson's hit wasn't as bad as Danny Williams one (thought close to being as bad) but far worst then Clint Newton's elbow and I'd give him a 10 match suspension.

Greenblooded

Juniors
I used to think this Roosters judiciary bias was a load of crap, until Finch got off. But I think the judiciary would be insane to let Ricko of for this one, 3 weeks for me.

et

Juniors
0.9 weeks. It was barely a slap. I just want to see the best teams play unless their players do something really dirty, and am tired of all this gloating about Ricketson being charged. If a Shark got charged for three weeks for that little shove the week before a GF I'd go berserk!

ByRd

First Grade
the player Mason hit, davis myles was shaping up mason & at least he was looking & they were face to face not like Ricketson who hit fien when he wasnt even looking at him.

et said:
0.9 weeks. It was barely a slap. I just want to see the best teams play unless their players do something really dirty, and am tired of all this gloating about Ricketson being charged. If a Shark got charged for three weeks for that little shove the week before a GF I'd go berserk!

100% Correct et

frank

Juniors
Ricketson's final plea
By Dean Ritchie
September 29, 2004

LUKE Ricketson has made a heart-wrenching plea for his last game with close mate Brad Fittler not to be taken away from him.

He did so as Sydney Roosters coach Ricky Stuart called on the NRL judiciary to ignore the "conspiracy theories" around Ricketson's dramatic hearing tonight.

Ricketson opened up yesterday about the striking charge which threatens to rule him out of Sunday's grand final.

"I have been with Freddy [Fittler] for so long," Ricketson said.

"I was quite emotional when [Fittler] played his last [home] game. I was planning to be quite emotional this time.

"It's horrible to think they would take that away from me.

"You play the whole season without any type of indiscretion and I am not that type of player.

"It's definitely heart-wrenching. I honestly believe - and the club believes - that the charge is seriously way too high."

Of the incident when he struck Cowboys halfback Nathan Fien, Ricketson said: "My first reaction was to support one of my players and obviously it was Freddy."

He added: "It's a grand final and it's your best mate's last game. I just can't believe something so minor could cost me that.

"I honestly believe a football panel will understand in the first minute of a major semi-final that melees occur in rugby league.

"I'm sure they'll understand."

The Roosters yesterday confirmed Ricketson would plead guilty and try to have his grade three striking charge downgraded to play against the Bulldogs.

But Stuart is worried there is a stigma attached to the Roosters' successful move two weeks ago, when halfback Brett Finch had his dangerous throw charge downgraded by the judiciary.

Stuart has called on the three-member judiciary panel to ignore any negative public sentiment surrounding the Roosters, who will play their third straight grand final before a sellout 80,000 crowd at Telstra Stadium.

Ricketson's natural replacement Chris Flannery underwent surgery yesterday on a torn testicle, all but ruling him out of the decider.

But Stuart spent time yesterday defending his club's position in the wake of the Finch downgrading in week two of the finals, which upset many league fans.

"There are conspiracy theories out there among the public," Stuart said.

"Public opinion seems to think that we got a favourable verdict in the Finch case. That is a worry for me in regards to us getting a fair hearing this time around.

"It is a major issue for us and a real concern. I am hoping subconsciously the panel aren't thinking about the public perception. We didn't get a favourable decision with Finch.

"We presented a strong case and got a fair hearing, for which I was grateful. I just hope the Finch case doesn't play any part in the Ricketson case.

"We realise Luke is guilty and have admitted that, as we did with Finch."

The NRL chief executive David Gallop last night moved to ease the Roosters' concerns: "The judiciary chairman [Greg Woods] will carefully direct the panel to disregard anything they may have read in the press regarding the case."

The probable loss of Ricketson and Flannery - although both were named in the side last night - will be a huge setback for the Roosters. Statistics show that the pair average 67 minutes each per match.

Ricketson has played 26 games this season. He averages 11 hit-ups for 80 metres a game and completes 31 tackles - the most for the Roosters. Flannery runs for 82 metres per match and makes 29 tackles each game - the third best at the club.

The Roosters released an official statement saying they believe that Ricketson's charge should be downgraded to grade one.

Should Ricketson and Flannery both be out, there is a strong chance Peter Cusack will start at prop with Adrian Morley in the second row and Stuart Webb on the bench.

The Daily Telegraph

------------------------------------------

Can you believe this tripe?

Not only did he get off with the most lenient king-hit charge of all time, now he can't believe something 'so minor' could ruin his week.

Boo f**kin' hoo.

drake

First Grade
What tripe.

Ricko has had more than a fair run this year...Timmins cheek...Shane Walker.

Take it like a man Luke.

frank

Juniors
et said:

100% Roostercentric horseshit, et.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Making this clear to all...Ricketson and the Roosters have admitted he is guilty, the problem they have is the grading of the incident. Should he be suspended though ? IMO he should be.

Reading the above in the morning paper I was a little embarassed for Ricko. I would of preferred it if he simply said nothing and pleaded his case with the NRL judiciary behind closed doors and not like this in public. "Wear it on the chin" Ricko is what I thought, show yourself the same courtesy you afforded Nathan Fien.

It will be an interesting night at the judiciary....

TheEye

Juniors
I used to think this Roosters judiciary bias was a load of crap, until Finch got off.

For F$%K sake - Finch DID NOT get off.

He was guilty of a down graded charge. The same as a number of players through the year.

Because of his previous good record he did not miss a week.

There is a BIG difference.

Thomas

First Grade
Will Ricko get a sentance similar to that of Danny Williams?

Both were king hits when the victim was looking away, although Williams got him flush with a fist and knocked him out cold.

Fien will require some dental work though.

A cowardly act towards a guy half your size.....at least 2 or 3 weeks in my books.

McLovin

Staff member
Ricko standing up for freddy??? this was Nathan Fein were talking about. What could have been a bit of a push and a shove resulted in an all in brawl. Ricko, better luck next year and would you please give back Whatuiras premiership ring...

DJ Raida

Bench
What a sook, i cant beleive hes having a cry when he BLATANTLY knocked the guy in the head. After heading this i hope even more that he gets outed.

drake

First Grade
To quote a good friend of mine "Toughen up princess and dry those eyes."
In boxing you are not allowed to tackle, in league you are not allowed to punch.
Very simple difference.

booeycollector

Juniors
To late Ricko...........take your punishment like a man......and anyway it will leave Sunday free to do your hair............

lolesi

First Grade
Haha, well i do see where he is coming from, he is doing everything he possibily can to play, i do not blame him, but geez this is a classic.
Last night on the news i was about to start crying after the interview :lol:

Latest posts