What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Curtis Sironen

gronkathon

First Grade
On Sironen the defensive issues are a real worry.

The unknown structure and new combinations wouldn't help but the mental slowness and failure to commit to any runner is a real worry.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I like that we are blooding young guns but having them all on the field at the same time is a worry.

Next year I would rather see Sironen on the bench. He needs more experience in the back row hes not yet NRL standard

BrotherJIm, I agree with you in that he should start from the bench.
Gronkathon, I agree with you re his defence.

As for me, I feel sorry for him and believe he is only playing 1st grade based on potential and what others have said about him e.g. Fulton said 'he is a future international'.

As a 1st grade back rower, I do not rate him and believe he should have spent more (a season perhaps) time in the NSW Cup. He is 2 years younger than Josh Jackson at the Dogs and believe there is an example of where Sironen could be in 2 years.

Saying that though, I don't know why there is a push for him to play in the forwards, it was only in 2011 when he was playing in the backs in schoolboy RL. I wonder if an off season of sprint work he couldn't turn out to be a handy centre? Look at his size, 195cm or 6.5 and 104 kegs. Look at Jamil Idris, he's 195cm as well and 120 kgs so you'd hope Siro would be able to move a lighter frame 'faster' ? Then look at another centre in Chris Lawrence, 187 cms and 100kgs.

Should be nowhere near firsts. Just horrible this year.

Like Akoala needs a season in reggies learning defensive patterns and tackling technique and just to get a feel or sense of second row play.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
He wasn't too bad last night. I don't understand why he is playing 80 minutes though. Either Potter is trying to toughen him up or he is making another selection mistake.

Matchball

Bench
He is too big to play anywhere but 2nd row.
Let's hope the offseason he just focuses on that position and how to play it.
Where is his dad for one on one coaching?

BrotherJim05

Bench
Last night was an example of what Siro can achieve. He was solid, but he's just not an 80 minute back rower yet.

Next year our front rowers need to step up and take a bigger workload. Galloway, Tupau and Ava need to play more minutes to allow for two back rowers on the bench. Siro getting a rest would hugely improve his performances.

Perhaps we are just developing his match fitness and seeing as this year is a write off now...may aswell.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
On Sironen the defensive issues are a real worry.

The unknown structure and new combinations wouldn't help but the mental slowness and failure to commit to any runner is a real worry.

His technique is very good.

His lateral movement is so slow, it almost looks cautious, but it's not. He's just slow. Obviously he's bulked up a fair bit in the offseason, but has done very little running. Focus was stupidly focussed on his upper body bulk.

He doesn't need any more size, he could probably even lose a few kgs to be honest.

Because he's slow sideways, all it takes is for a decoy runner to run near his line, or for a change of direction and his flat footed.

I was always told, there's two types of flat footed
1. Your upper body has momentum in one direction, but you feet are planted flat
2. Your upper body has no momentum in any direction, you are just standing like a statue.

Number 2 is Sironen.

Put a step or jink on in front of him and he is just a statue. By taking all momentum away from a defender, you make them a walk over as an attacker, no matter if they are 6 foot 4 and 115 kgs or 5ft and 50kgs.

Without momentum driving from the knees at the very least, there is no power in the contact and no chance of stopping a player with a tackle.

I thought he went well last night.

A few games to go and they will stick with hime and then, hopefully he will get a start next year, in NSW Cup

gordynz

Juniors
Sirro just doesn't seem to have the confidence he had a couple of years ago when he first came onto the scene. I think he's come back worse with every injury :S

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sirro just doesn't seem to have the confidence he had a couple of years ago when he first came onto the scene. I think he's come back worse with every injury :S

It's because he is mentally, being played out of position.

DanOz

Juniors
Cant believe we are stuck with him for another 3 years...Whoever signed him should be sacked

Latest posts